Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #883

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
That's what I did with the 7" extension. Because of the design of the Newmar receiver I had to use two different types of immobilizers.

Just so you know. I don't think the bolts on the "L" shaped immobiliser are long enough. I hope they arn't tightened down because you are doing a mock up. I always like to see 1-11/2 threads coming through the nut. Otherwise you are not geting the full benefit of the self locking nut.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #884

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Just so you know. I don't think the bolts on the "L" shaped immobiliser are long enough. I hope they arn't tightened down because you are doing a mock up. I always like to see 1-11/2 threads coming through the nut. Otherwise you are not geting the full benefit of the self locking nut.
Bill
The downside of posting high quality images. I wish Newmar had as many inspectors as I have here on the forum.

Yes, I was scrounging around the hangar finding parts to mock up different approaches. Got the wrong bolts for that immobilizer.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #885

Quote:
Thanks. My extension is 7" right now, may not need it with the new tow bar which is 10" longer than the old one. Will mock it up again tomorrow when I install new tow bar.
I was looking at a Roadmaster 7 1/2 in hitch extender on e-trailer and this note was in the description.

Note: Using a hitch extender will reduce your hitch's overall capacity by 50 percent

Would that mean the 10000# NA hitch is only rated for 5000# with an extension?
Bud1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud1129 View Post
I was looking at a Roadmaster 7 1/2 in hitch extender on e-trailer and this note was in the description.

Note: Using a hitch extender will reduce your hitch's overall capacity by 50 percent

Would that mean the 10000# NA hitch is only rated for 5000# with an extension?
Decided to call Roadmaster to see what they say and their tech support said that the note was a very, very, very cautious statement.
With a 10000# hitch, 10000# extension and 10000# towbar I should have plenty of leeway towing a 5000# F-150.
Bud1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #887

Quote:

Anyone have experience with a magic following distance for a toad being pulled by a coach with a large front wheel cut?
Ok, just finished testing the new BlueOx 7420 tow bar in a controlled situation. Good news/bad news. Good news is with 7" inch extension Wrangler won't hit NA full turn. Bad news you can't do a full 60 degree wheel cut NA turn with the BlueOx 7420 without "hitting the stops" on the tow bar and bending it.

Caution! One way or another do not try a full 60 degree wheel cut turn with a Blue Ox tow bar in your NA. More later.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #888

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like the makers of tow bars will need to develop a new one. With many Coach builders seeing the success of the NA they are pushing to launch similarly spec’ed models so the first to design and market a tow bar to solve this issue will have a leg in to a rapidly growing market
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #889

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generator View Post
I'm picking my NA up the day after tomorrow at our dealer and I'm so excited I can't sleep. We plan to camp out in the dealer's "campground" for two nights just to make sure the important systems are functional. We got to visit our NA at our dealer last Saturday and we absolutely fell in love with it. There were a couple of surprises, mostly good. First, we did not order the chrome trim package along the bottom of the unit. I was surprised to see that that because of that, Newmar also omitted the chrome plating on the side radiator cover. I'm ok with that as I really feel that the side radiator should not be something to accentuate. The NA looks great without it. Also, when we ordered our NA last year, the large awning was split into two sections, front and rear. We did not order the rear section, just to save a few bucks. But the unit arrived with a single awning extending from the front of the unit to within four feet of the rear of the coach in one piece. This is a real bonus for us and we are very happy about it. Newmar must have changed this for the newer units. Lastly, in Newgle for the New Aire, there is documentation on a Precision Circuits energy management system. It appeared to consist of a separate controller that somehow interfaced with systems and appliances to limit what could be connected given a specific user selected shore-power supply configuration (50,30,20 amps). Happily, this function is performed by the Silverleaf system in my NA, and a separate clunky controller is not included. The system shown in Newgle is apparently one that was used in an older coach. I wish Newmar would update the documentation. Our dealer appears to be doing a good job of fixing all the things that Newmar did not fix, including replacing the inverter unit. We are lucky that our dealer is only 25 miles from our garage.
I just returned from my dealer PU and all went very well. Spent the full day going over things and trying to store it in my mind (harder than it use to be) I only found a few things that I will address later like the Sanicon and the low hanging Oasis exhaust. The tech told me he found very few issues that needed addressed in his pre inspection. The Nav pack was properly mounted and not floating on wires. He did say that this is his second New Aire they have delivered and it appears Newmar has really amped up the quality control by fixing issues prior to delivery as compared to the previous New Aire they delivered few months ago, maybe they have listened to all of you guys who took earlier delivery. The dealer told me that that would like me to stay as long as I needed to use all the equipment and ask all the questions I may have. I spent 4 nights having the need for both heat and air as we'll as floor heat and all performed flawlessly except for a few brain farts on my part. I will note the black water fills very fast and unless wearing glasses the light switches are a bit of a frustration. I really didn't get to enjoy my ride home as much as I hoped due to a gusty 40 mph wind, with comfort control at max she did pretty good. Since new she has averaged about 6.7 mpg, about 900 miles so far. She is sure pretty if I don't say myself.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #890

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
I really didn't get to enjoy my ride home as much as I hoped due to a gusty 40 mph wind. Since new she has averaged about 6.7 mpg, about 900 miles so far.
That’s the same mileage we got driving in wind at around 20 mph. Our mileage improved to 8+mpg without the wind. We always had head or cross winds, still waiting for a good tail wind.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #891

NewAire owners... 2 questions. Do you have a audible black tank full alarm. And does your convection oven work as expected?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #892

Newmar Owners Club
I did get a yellow warning light that I was getting full, I understand when you get the red light you only have 1 flush left they it will not allow flush after that
Old 04-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #893

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
NewAire owners... 2 questions. Do you have a audible black tank full alarm. And does your convection oven work as expected?
MyRozie will send you alerts based on your own customized settings.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #894

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
I will note the black water fills very fast
Note that you can change the toilet to use less water by holding the flush button until it flashes twice. This will help to not fill so fast. Some like it some don’t. Wanted you to know that you have an option.

Enjoy your new NA
Old 04-14-2018, 02:27 AM   #895

Newmar Owners Club
On the water-save mode, our toilet requires two flushes for solids. Newmar says Dometic insists requiring two flushes is “as designed,” but the manual doesn’t say that.

Using about one-half gallon of water on water-save mode is still a big improvement over the normal mode, which uses about a gallon. Every flush of liquids saves about a half gallon.

Ward Simmons
WardSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #896

Quote:
Ok, just finished testing the new BlueOx 7420 tow bar in a controlled situation. Good news/bad news. Good news is with 7" inch extension Wrangler won't hit NA full turn. Bad news you can't do a full 60 degree wheel cut NA turn with the BlueOx 7420 without "hitting the stops" on the tow bar and bending it.

Caution! One way or another do not try a full 60 degree wheel cut turn with a Blue Ox tow bar in your NA. More later.
I originally brought an old tired Blue Ox 7365 tow bar over to the NA when I purchased the coach. 7365 probably had 100,000 miles on it so it really needed a rebuild. Then I noticed that the Wrangler is getting very close to the NA making turns. Never had that problem with previous RV's but off course those RV's could not make turns like the NA even though they were shorter.

The NA with a short 205" wheelbase and a 60 degree wheel cut is a new game for towing. It was clear to me something needed to change. So I added a 7" extension. That helped but not quite enough. Then I read the reviews on the Blue Ox 7420. This tow bar has a 10,000 lb rating and it is about 3" longer than the 7365.

So I bought the 7420 and started to do the testing. All up with the 7420 the Wrangler now rides 10" further aft from the NA.

I hooked everything together and took the coach out on the ramp at the airport to do a series of turns very slowly to evaluate the interaction between the NA turn radius and the 7420 tow bar.

I just kept driving in a slowly tightening circles watching everything in the back with the Xite HD rear camera and occasionally getting out to look at clearances. I finally got the to bar to the limits. Unfortunately the NA still had more wheel cut to go when I reached this point. How much, I don't know. The wheel cut versus turn seems asymmetrical in the NA. As the front wheels get close to the 60 degree limits the rate of turn of the NA really begins to accelerate with very little additional steering wheel turn. I did not get to that point before I hit the stop on the tow bar. So there is little doubt had I continued to tighten the turn to the wheel cut limit I would bend the tow bar and start dragging the Wrangler.

Here is the Wrangler at the "stops":

Bottom line the NA can out turn the tow bar. This is an issue since there is really no way tell if you have hit the limits as you make a turn.

There are two possible solutions. Apparently there is a way to electronically limit the wheel cut on FreightLiner chassis. This is talked about in FreightLiner documentation to allow for coach design variations that may not work with a high wheel cut. The other possibility is to put some limit switches on the tow bar that would alter the driver with lights/sound as you get close to the stops.

Without some fix I would guess some NA drivers are going trash to tow bars. With enough extension on the tow bar the damage should be less than $1,000.

Tags
camping, air