RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

New Aire Panel Upgrade & Awning Kill Sw - Mike Mas

Hello Forum Members - I just completed my review on improving the New Aireís overhead switch panel. This article shows how to clean up the wiring behind the panel and more importantly, adding both back-lighting and front-lighting to allow the panel to be more visible and more usable as well. We'll also remove the door, hinges and shocks to clean up its appearance and trim the panel with carbon fiber to make it appear as part of the new Aire's dash. In this article, I'll also show how to install a Girard Awning "Kill Switch" to prevent an unwanted awning deployment while driving down I-95.

Please click the link below for the complete review - Enjoy

Mike Mas

http://www.rotory.com/coach/panel/

For an In-Depth review of the Luxury New Aire, click the link below:

Newmarís Amazing 33í Luxury New Aire - Mike Mas

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2018, 11:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
I just completed my review on improving the New Aire’s overhead switch panel. This article shows how to clean up the wiring behind the panel and more importantly, adding both back-lighting and front-lighting to allow the panel to be more visible and more usable as well. We'll also remove the door, hinges and shocks to clean up its appearance and trim the panel with carbon fiber to make it appear as part of the new Aire's dash. In this article, I'll also show how to install a Girard Awning "Kill Switch" to prevent an unwanted awning deployment while driving down I-95.
Good job. I agree the door makes for more trouble than it is worth. Also thanks for reverse engineering the awning wiring and communication. That was on my list to understand. Current installation is a safety hazard. System should only be powered on when you need it. My guess is this installation is common to more models than the NA.

As you suggest the GFI should be powered off immediately on all installations of this type.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the write-up. Much appreciated. While Iím not quite ready to remove the cabinet door, Iíll definitely be adding the backlighting which will be activated when the cabinet door is opened.

I didnít see a mention if there were any hidden modules behind the panel? Perhaps I missed it.

You mentioned you had previously installed a Iris security system. I read your write-up on the cameras that you installed, but I was wondering if you had you considered adding components to the Trimark door lock system to use it as your alarm system? If so, why did you decide not to go this route? Iím still trying to decide on how best to implement an alarm system.

Thanks
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Nice work Mike. Thanks for sharing, I’ll definitely be making good use of your efforts.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #5

3343 Differences

Follow up to Mike's post. Mike has a NA 3341. There are some small differences in the NA 3343 awing electrical.

First since there is no optional TV in the basement of 3343 the awing controllers and associated 110 volt plugs are in full view. Like the 3341 there is a GFI plug in the bathroom that controls the circuit to the awnings. This circuit comes from the inverter panel and supplies 110 volt to the bathroom and several things in the basement including the awnings.

So popping the GFI in the 3343 is really not necessary since the plugs to the awning controllers are in full view. So for now I just unplugged the controllers. When I want to put the awnings out I will have to plug them in.

This is a very good catch by Mike. My NA is stored in a hangar right next to my airplane, so a awning going out in the hangar would cause a lot of damage.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
Thanks for the write-up. Much appreciated. While Iím not quite ready to remove the cabinet door, Iíll definitely be adding the backlighting which will be activated when the cabinet door is opened.

I didnít see a mention if there were any hidden modules behind the panel? Perhaps I missed it.

You mentioned you had previously installed a Iris security system. I read your write-up on the cameras that you installed, but I was wondering if you had you considered adding components to the Trimark door lock system to use it as your alarm system? If so, why did you decide not to go this route? Iím still trying to decide on how best to implement an alarm system.

Thanks
Thanks for all the reply's guys. I have a short article on the functions of the modules behind the panel which I'll hopefully finish in the next few days.

Regards - Mike
Old 02-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #7

Hello Guys - I didn't get to mention the modules behind the panel in the New Aire in my article. There were four modules hidden behind the panel and wiring as follows:

KIB Module - This is for exterior security lights, since there is two controls for these lights, one in the overhead over the bed and the other located in the panel, this control module is needed.

Silverleaf TM-510 Module - Is for control of the AC / Heat units. Since the coach has dash operated keyboard for Silverleaf AC / Heat control, this module talks to the main AC/Heat module that powers the two roof units.

DoorBell Module - This one was stumper, it looks like it does something important but its just a door bell. The funny thing is I didnít know I had a doorbell. I would like to thank Stuart W for mentioning it in another post.

Silverleaf TM 229 - This Floor Heat module is in place since the New Aire has the Silverleaf keyboard in the dash. I assumes this module talks to the actual floor heat controller/ relays that provide 110v current to floor heat elements.

Regards - Mike

Old 02-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #8

Hello all - Here's a hard to find PDF manual for the Girard remote control which is mounted on the same front panel in the article for the two large awnings.

Click on the link below to download the 12 page manual.

Enjoy - Mike

http://www.rotory.com/coach/manuals/...h%20remote.pdf

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5ch remote.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	194127  

Tags
air, awning, panel, upgrade