Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2018, 04:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPeas View Post
I traveled the western part of the Pennsylvania Turnpike east of Pittsburg this past weekend, towing my 2015 F150 SuperCrew. A few good hills there, but nothing like some other places. At close to 5,000 lbs for the truck, I wish I had more power for many of the hills. I guess I wish I had more power just about all of the time. It would crest the top of the hills between 50-55. You definitely won't want to use economy mode on the transmission shifter.

What I find is that the toad has the ability to push the NA around. With about 1,200 miles on the NA with 900 of it towing, I find that I'm constantly steering slightly from side to side due to the toad tracking behind. It's worse at high speeds and you can feel it when you take a turn on the interstate at 60. Any faster than 68mph in a straight line is really pushing the ability to keep good control. I towed my flatbed trailer with about 2,000lbs and barely knew it was back there.

Without the toad the NA handles well.
there is only so much that you can do with that wheelbase...
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by willipaul View Post
there is only so much that you can do with that wheelbase...
That is very true but I do think this coach come very close to hitting the goals Newmar set out to accomplish. I had a 2009 4304 DADP and wanted a smaller coach with the luxury of a larger bus, The ride and drive of the NA is very good, maneuverability is excellent and the coach is very comfortable. To be sure it does have limitations and is not for everyone.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
That is very true but I do think this coach come very close to hitting the goals Newmar set out to accomplish. I had a 2009 4304 DADP and wanted a smaller coach with the luxury of a larger bus, The ride and drive of the NA is very good, maneuverability is excellent and the coach is very comfortable. To be sure it does have limitations and is not for everyone.
totally agree.....i think it's a great coach....

i was just commenting on the toad pushing them around....

its a full size pickup....and not an aluminum one, to boot....
Old 09-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #18

Quote:
totally agree.....i think it's a great coach....

i was just commenting on the toad pushing them around....

its a full size pickup....and not an aluminum one, to boot....
In time we'll have a smaller vehicle to tow and won't be as much of an issue. With 75k on it in 3 years it should last until I retire in a few years and can take longer trips. Very pleased with the coach and it's maneuverability, even with the long truck behind it. Still turns almost as short as the truck itself does.

Being the truck is a 2015 it was the first year for the aluminum bodies. Wouldn't want even more weight from the older trucks.
BPeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPeas View Post

Being the truck is a 2015 it was the first year for the aluminum bodies. Wouldn't want even more weight from the older trucks.
ah thanks for the correction...i misread it for '14...my bad...

happy trails ! i love taking my truck with me.....jeep is great, but i love my truck....
Old 09-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #20

Many, many people complain about the towing characteristics of long wheelbase pickup trucks behind every type of Motorhome, so it has little to do with the New Aire. The Ford trucks tend to drift and don’t pull as smoothly combined with the fact it’s dam long puts these trucks in the not pleasant to tow category. I tow a 4000lb car and it’s invisible to the driver.
We considered and researched other Motorhome brands and sizes before going to the New Aire. We had a truck at the time and even Prevost owners said to stay away from long wheelbase pickup truck TOADs. A Crew Cab Ford is approaching 2/3 the length of the New Aire.
Newaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:33 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=plane;4384748]That is very true but I do think this coach come very close to hitting the goals Newmar set out to accomplish. I had a 2009 4304 DADP and wanted a smaller coach with the luxury of a larger bus, The ride and drive of the NA is very good, maneuverability is excellent and the coach is very comfortable. To be sure it does have limitations and is not for everyone.[/QUOT

I am on the other end of the spectrum. I choose a New Aire because it's our first motor home and I wanted the nicer options like offered on Newmars Luxury line, but I didn't want to start on a 45' footer. I also think it will get me into more places.
toneil7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:34 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=toneil7163;4385934]
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
That is very true but I do think this coach come very close to hitting the goals Newmar set out to accomplish. I had a 2009 4304 DADP and wanted a smaller coach with the luxury of a larger bus, The ride and drive of the NA is very good, maneuverability is excellent and the coach is very comfortable. To be sure it does have limitations and is not for everyone.[/QUOT

I am on the other end of the spectrum. I choose a New Aire because it's our first motor home and I wanted the nicer options like offered on Newmars Luxury line, but I didn't want to start on a 45' footer. I also think it will get me into more places.
I think we ended up with the same conclusion, it just took me 13 years to get there.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #23

New Aire Toad

[QUOTE=plane;4386298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneil7163 View Post

I think we ended up with the same conclusion, it just took me 13 years to get there.

That’s alright, took us 40!

As for pulling the F150 Crew Cab, I have been pulling one since 2012 and live it, Never know it back there behind my Entegra. I know it will hang back on the hills with the New Aire but if it bothers the driving I will be very disappointed with my decision. All JMHO
Old 09-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I love this thread. We haven’t purchased a toad yet, but most likely will buy in the next 6 months. We’re convinced we want a Wrangler JL 2 door—weight being a big concern.

Keep the comments coming, it all helps
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
I love this thread. We haven’t purchased a toad yet, but most likely will buy in the next 6 months. We’re convinced we want a Wrangler JL 2 door—weight being a big concern.

Keep the comments coming, it all helps
a 2 door wrangler, IMHO, is the best toad there is...for two people, that is....

i tow a 4 door, or the F150, depending on the trip....i love both....

but if it was just me and DW, i'd have a two door jeep.....
Old 09-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
a 2 door wrangler, IMHO, is the best toad there is...for two people, that is....

but if it was just me and DW, i'd have a two door jeep.....
Thanks for the reply. That’s our situation.
We figure 90% of the time it will be just us. When we need a bigger ride, we’ll rent one or call Uber/Lyft.
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
Thanks for the reply. That’s our situation.
We figure 90% of the time it will be just us. When we need a bigger ride, we’ll rent one or call Uber/Lyft.
We went back and forth on the 2 door versus 4 door Wrangler decision. Ultimately we went with the 4 door. The difference is around $3,500, 200lbs more and 20" longer.

Very happy with the decision since there are many more times than I anticipated since purchasing the NA with the Wrangler that I really needed the additional space in the TOAD.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneil7163 View Post
How did it feel with braking and steering? Will you continue to tow the Escalade ? That must be 1k more than the Jeep.
Braking was not an issue. For the past 18 years I drove a 43 Navigator with Tag and 525 hp so the driving is different. My driving skills need to change and will with time as they improved with this trip . Obviously a lighter smaller toad would have tow advantage, but I am not ready to change . Our travel style has been to travel 200 miles or so and stay a few days to a week and visit the area .
NAtravlers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, toad