RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #29

We have a NA and tow a Wrangler. Prior to purchasing our NA, we rented a Motorhome on two different occasions without having a towed vehicle with us We rented a 45ft Renegade Super C and drove from Chicago to Alaska and back in 30 days, and the second time we rented a 35 foot Tiffin for two weeks. We enjoyed both trips immensely which is why we went full time in the NA.

We certainly recognized that a 2nd vehicle would make things more convenient. But I wouldn't say it spoiled the trips because we didn't have one. We had to plan ahead more. We had to choose grocery stores with large parking lots, etc. But it was entirely doable...not preferred but doable. The NA is maneuverable and we occasionally navigate Costco and other grocery stores even with the Wrangler in-tow. We've stopped at Costco for Diesel whenever its available and have never had a problem.

Here's an idea... since you won't be towing anything, you could put a bike rack on your NA and use bikes for short range trips too for this first year. Get e-bike's and your range goes up significantly.

It probably depends more on the type of camping you'll do. Do you plan on making lots of meals in the coach or going out to restaurants a lot? Do you plan on camping near or inside of the national/state parks you want to visit where they will have internal transportation to sites you want to see? Or will you need to travel to see things every day?

All in all I find setting up and tearing down camp with our NA to be pretty quick. On a single day trip, you don't necessarily have to fully hookup at a full-hookup site. Just plug in electricity and you can live off your tanks for days. So the hookup-unhook process can be very quick. The only exception to that is if you are at a site which is very unlevel... Only one time did we stay at a state park that required considerable effort to level the NA. Most often we're setup in 10 min or less - start to finish.

Last point - I do know a couple that travel with a 45ft Tiffin and have a vehicle on a trailer. They are ok with it. For short travel days - sometimes, they won't put the vehicle on the trailer, instead they will haul the trailer behind the tow vehicle.

My suggestion - give it a try first without a towed vehicle. Nothing says you can't adjust mid-year. Remember, even with a little inconvenience, you are consciously making a decision so that you're not stressed unnecessarily financially - makes 100% sense to me to be conservative and see how it all goes before going all in on another vehicle. RV life is about flexibility, patience and enjoying the experience... that goes for the whole package.

SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Personally, I find that many folks give opinions NOT based on real experience. Yes, some are honestly based on real experience with multiple methods.

I think folks, like me, ASSUME a trailer is a PITA and have become very happy flat towing. We have some very good friends that use a rather long trailer for a car, 2 motorcycles, and lots of other things. They do have to plan accordingly.

I also THINK a tow dolly is a PITA but again, many swear by them. One problem is that they can't be used with most or even all AWD vehicles.

We have no idea about your experience with RVing. Perhaps you can give us some background?
Ok, we have absolutely no experience with an RV. Have retired from 38 yr pilot career. Been all over the world and USA, but think it would be cool to see it at a slower pace. Don't want to sell house. Like Indiana. Need to be close to Mother in law in assisted living in Eastern Oregon more that just 2 weeks a year. Don't really want a 2nd home. Thought an RV would suit the goal and fit lifestyle.

Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
Do you think it would be too inconvenient to travel about the country the first year covering about 6K miles on 3-4 week trips without a toad. I don't really want to change our cars the first year. The New Aire seems small enough (probably borderline) on the length to consider doing this. Thanks for your opinion in advance.

Our 1st 2week trip in our 34 Winny, we knew we made a mistake 1/2 way in , not having a toad. Having to pack every up each day, slides in, jacks up, to tour around and see the local sights.
The limited access and parking were another big problem.
Thatís not to say it canít be done, it was just very inconvenient for us. If you are close to transit , car rentals etc on your stops this would help .
Old 07-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #32

I donít own a RV yet. But I do own a 2015 Chevy Sonic with the base trim. Itís my everyday driver, and can be flat towed. Itís a 5 speed manual/ 138 hp 4 banger.

I have 80k miles. I have never need any repairs, except routine maintenance. It would make an inexpensive tow car. I donít like the the idea of a TOAD, but Iím sure once I start RVing Iíll change my mind.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:32 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Ok, we have absolutely no experience with an RV. Have retired from 38 yr pilot career. Been all over the world and USA, but think it would be cool to see it at a slower pace. Don't want to sell house. Like Indiana. Need to be close to Mother in law in assisted living in Eastern Oregon more that just 2 weeks a year. Don't really want a 2nd home. Thought an RV would suit the goal and fit lifestyle.
Good info!

OK...some random thoughts. BTW, when I say "toad" I'm not saying "flat tow" unless I say otherwise.

1. I'm guessing that you might have a vehicle at OR at your disposal. If not, having a toad to have on there makes perfect sense.

2. IMHO, a toad actually helps you take things at a slower pace if you really want to see things. Having to configure the RV just to "get around" can become more of a limiting factor than you might want to deal with.

3. You MIGHT find (those with real experience can chime in...PLZ) that an open trailer just big enough for your car combined with a shorter coach like yours isn't as limiting vs if you had a 43' MH. It would certainly be possible to find more places that you could pull into and not have to unhitch it. Assuming in round numbers you have 36' to the end of your hitch, and 16' trailer bed like this with 5' - 6' for the trailer hitch of things you come in at 57' - 58' which is not crazy long and many decent places can accommodate you. Nice thing about a trailer is that you can back them up unlike flat towing.

Just some random thoughts. YMMV
Old 07-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Good info!

OK...some random thoughts. BTW, when I say "toad" I'm not saying "flat tow" unless I say otherwise.

1. I'm guessing that you might have a vehicle at OR at your disposal. If not, having a toad to have on there makes perfect sense.

2. IMHO, a toad actually helps you take things at a slower pace if you really want to see things. Having to configure the RV just to "get around" can become more of a limiting factor than you might want to deal with.

3. You MIGHT find (those with real experience can chime in...PLZ) that an open trailer just big enough for your car combined with a shorter coach like yours isn't as limiting vs if you had a 43' MH. It would certainly be possible to find more places that you could pull into and not have to unhitch it. Assuming in round numbers you have 36' to the end of your hitch, and 16' trailer bed like this with 5' - 6' for the trailer hitch of things you come in at 57' - 58' which is not crazy long and many decent places can accommodate you. Nice thing about a trailer is that you can back them up unlike flat towing.

Just some random thoughts. YMMV
Yeah, no car available in OR, need to bring our own creature comforts. I see some used 37' Dutch Stars on market. They seem to be equivalent to New Aire in many respects. That still may not be too long.
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
My toad is an '08 Tacoma 4x4, V6, AT, Access Cab with a Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect. I found it more comfortable than a Jeep (6'2", 255 lbs, size 13 boots, and 67yo) and much nicer to drive on highways and off road trails. In addition, propane, gas grill, cooking equipment, ice chest, food, case of water, sleeping bag & blankets, extra clothes, etc. fit in the bed much easier than inside a Jeep. The Tacoma is used for off roading on Jeep trails with groups of 4x4 vehicles, exploring alone on dirt trails, city touring, and parking in crowded tourist places.

The Jeepers cried foul when I could drop the tailgate and put kielbasa on the grill for lunch while they had PB&J sandwiches. Off road 12 hour expeditions on trails like Union Pass from Daniel, WY to Dubois, WY were no problem and much more comfortable than the cramped inside of a Jeep. I could recline the passenger seat and had accommodations along for a nights sleep if I ever broke down on Forest, BLM trails, or Death Valley explorations.

Superior.com bought Remco's DSC business so it is still available if anyone else wants more comfort in a Tacoma when exploring the boondocks.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:13 AM   #36

Quote:
That sounds very interesting. Where do you put the trailer at various campsites? Others have said it is a major pita. That point kind of swayed me away from the idea. It sure would save me some money.
Never found it to be a ďpitaĒ. Even on sites that are very small ( example Myrtle Beach) there was room on the lot for it.
We look for pull through sites ( NA 34í & Trailer 20í ). Always find them. If your staying a couple of days and not just traveling through,leave the trailer attached and take the car off.
We.ve been using this routine for 13 years, itís a little more time to load & unload but never a problem to find a spot. If your going this way make sure itís an aluminum trailer, there 1/2 to 1/3 the weight and that it fits your auto.
Aluminum trailers arenít cheap, usually about 5-6K for the correct one with a front protection piece for the car. We have an extra spare bolted to the side and tool box sits in the front a frame area. As a bonus iI devised a mount for our bicycles just a head of the car , behind the front protection piece . If u want more info on particular let me know and Iíll send it to you.
I would use your Volvo if your going this way IMO
Old 07-17-2019, 06:29 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
My toad is an '08 Tacoma 4x4, V6, AT, Access Cab with a Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect. I found it more comfortable than a Jeep (6'2", 255 lbs, size 13 boots, and 67yo) and much nicer to drive on highways and off road trails. In addition, propane, gas grill, cooking equipment, ice chest, food, case of water, sleeping bag & blankets, extra clothes, etc. fit in the bed much easier than inside a Jeep. The Tacoma is used for off roading on Jeep trails with groups of 4x4 vehicles, exploring alone on dirt trails, city touring, and parking in crowded tourist places.

The Jeepers cried foul when I could drop the tailgate and put kielbasa on the grill for lunch while they had PB&J sandwiches. Off road 12 hour expeditions on trails like Union Pass from Daniel, WY to Dubois, WY were no problem and much more comfortable than the cramped inside of a Jeep. I could recline the passenger seat and had accommodations along for a nights sleep if I ever broke down on Forest, BLM trails, or Death Valley explorations.

Superior.com bought Remco's DSC business so it is still available if anyone else wants more comfort in a Tacoma when exploring the boondocks.
I sense some Jeep envy/resentment in this post...
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #38

TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTNaples View Post
We have never had a toad. We use Uber and if staying longer in one place, we rent a car. Easier and less hassle. Never had an issue and we have traveled over 35k miles in the last 24 months.
We went just once without a TOAD. Everyone said just rent a car. Great idea until you get somewhere where the rental place will not come out to you (too far they said) and Uber was not available. Never again.... TOAD with us on all trips now!
janrhcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #39

Get a DS and use the saved money to buy a toad. The bigger the coach the better. I assume you had no problems handling jets more than 40 feet.
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
New Aire without toad

We had a 38 foot Canyon Star with a very short when folded (8í plus tung ) Kendon motorcycle trailer that was easily moved when unhooked and found several parks where it was very tight. With our 44 foot DS sometimes thatís the total depth of the site. Not to mention the parks that are so tight they require you to unhook your TOAD prior to entering the park. Can it be done with a trailer? Iím guessing yes a lot of the time. Will require more carful planing and reservations? Yes. At the end of the day itís all about your comfort level.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #41

Unless you like to do off-road touring, there are many vehicles other than a Jeep that make a good toad. I recommend sticking with GM vehicles. Ford vehicles require disconnecting the negative battery terminal to tow 4 wheels down. This can create a variety of electronic problems. With most GM vehicles, just warm the vehicle engine and transmission, hook it up to the coach, put the transmission in neutral, make sure the emergency brake is off, and head down the road. A charge line from the coach to the toad battery eliminates the need to pull any fuses. Our two most recent toads were a Chevy Equinox, and a Buick Envision. A used Equinox will likely be cheaper than a Jeep.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #42

We tried it for a year in a 33' Class C, similar size to yours. - the answer to the question for us was "yes, it's too inconvenient, let's buy a a CR-V." The tipping point for us was the night we didn't have anything in the coach for dinner (the nearest restaurant we could walk to was closed that day) and we would up having a can of baked beans and potato chips for our evening meal because it was just too hard to unhook for a $10 grocery run.

Also tried the rental car route - it worked but it's a pain in the ass to arrange, and they aren't available everywhere. Very happy with the 2013 CR-V with Roadmaster towbar and Invisibrake. Barely notice it's back there when driving, except for not being able to back up.

Tags
air, toad