Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #1

New Aire without Toad

Do you think it would be too inconvenient to travel about the country the first year covering about 6K miles on 3-4 week trips without a toad. I don't really want to change our cars the first year. The New Aire seems small enough (probably borderline) on the length to consider doing this. Thanks for your opinion in advance.
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
With my 2016 Canyon Star I did not tow a car and many times wished I had one with us. Now with our 2018 DS I never don’t tow our Jeep Wrangler. When you have your car with you your motorhome feels more like a house, grocery shopping, sightseeing , attractions and restaurants are so convenient. Just my opinion
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with Stuart, if you don’t have a toad you will end up unhooking to shop, sight see etc. There are a lot of places you won’t be able to physically get into.
Some people rely on Enterprise rental car but I don’t have any experience doing that.
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Life is to short to leave home on a RV trip without a TOAD.........I am thinking you already know what ya got to do...........ya got a brand new Coach, get a TOAD set up and your done and will be glad ya did it in your travel's.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #5

We have never had a toad. We use Uber and if staying longer in one place, we rent a car. Easier and less hassle. Never had an issue and we have traveled over 35k miles in the last 24 months.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #6

Yeah, I would love to go out and buy a nice Jeep Wrangler to take with us, but I feel like I am stretching to buy the new coach. I have looked at used Wranglers online and was surprised how much they go for with so many miles on them. Amazed actually. Interested to hear the various opinions. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
Yeah, I would love to go out and buy a nice Jeep Wrangler to take with us, but I feel like I am stretching to buy the new coach. I have looked at used Wranglers online and was surprised how much they go for with so many miles on them. Amazed actually. Interested to hear the various opinions. Thanks.
Why's it got to be a Wrangler (or even new)? Plenty of used, lighter, cheaper vehicles out there that can be towed 4 down.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
Do you think it would be too inconvenient to travel about the country the first year covering about 6K miles on 3-4 week trips without a toad. ....
In a word....YES!

You will really miss the purpose of those travels if you have to haul yourself around in the coach when it is MUCH simpler to use a toad.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
Community Moderator

If you don’t want to change cars initially, why not go with a tow dolly? If it’s a front wheel drive car, this is an easy solution.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #10

We have a dolly and a 2006 Honda Accord. I cant wait for the day we sell it and get a four down toad.

Dollys work but are a serious PITA. I guess i should not say that before selling our dollly............
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Prairie Dog".....A couple of things. Hope it never happens, but if you break down on a trip, you're stuck. The rental car thing or Uber works, unless you're in the middle of nowhere or a National Park. Even a medical emergency gets tough without a car.

Here's something else that many don't think about. Often, after a long driving day, we'll pull into a campground and just don't feel like cooking. In about five minutes, I can have the toad disconnected and ready to go to dinner. If we didn't get fuel before stopping, I'll do a quick scout of the area for good access and prices before returning to camp. A quick stop at the store for groceries is also more convenient with a toad.

We've always towed a truck. A few years ago we decided to do a nine week coast to coast trip. At that time we had a full size four door Silverado. We wanted to tow something smaller, yet be comfortable for four adults. We bought a used Honda CRV from Carmax. All see CRV's from 2014 and back are towable. It was a great tow car and a good commuter if you need one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
If you don’t want to change cars initially, why not go with a tow dolly? If it’s a front wheel drive car, this is an easy solution.
Unfortunately both our cars are all wheel drive. Would have to get a trailer.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"Prairie Dog".....A couple of things. Hope it never happens, but if you break down on a trip, you're stuck. The rental car thing or Uber works, unless you're in the middle of nowhere or a National Park. Even a medical emergency gets tough without a car.

Here's something else that many don't think about. Often, after a long driving day, we'll pull into a campground and just don't feel like cooking. In about five minutes, I can have the toad disconnected and ready to go to dinner. If we didn't get fuel before stopping, I'll do a quick scout of the area for good access and prices before returning to camp. A quick stop at the store for groceries is also more convenient with a toad.

We've always towed a truck. A few years ago we decided to do a nine week coast to coast trip. At that time we had a full size four door Silverado. We wanted to tow something smaller, yet be comfortable for four adults. We bought a used Honda CRV from Carmax. All see CRV's from built up to and including the 2014 year models are towable. It was a great tow car and a good commuter if you need one.
great points. Thanks, will look at those.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #14

I can't imagine traveling the states without a vehicle to explore. Rental cars typically aren't allowed on gravel backroads where you can find awesome things! Uber for traveling the countryside?

I guess if you go to a RV park and just go a few miles into town for a meal it might work but what's the point of traveling so many miles then?

Can you get a dolly trailer and take one of your cars that way? Sure beats Uber! Trailers aren't that expensive and you can find them used very reasonably.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, toad