Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2017, 08:37 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New Bay Star 3333

Hi,

I am getting ready to order a 2017 Bay Star 3333. I would appreciate any advice on what options that I need to have and one that are not worth the extra money. Also, anyone that would like to share their experience that has a 2016 or 2017 with the new Ford 320hp with 6 speed transmission. Ride quality, noise, power, gas milage, how well does it pull a TOAD? Also, I live in Alaska and would like to work with a Dealer on the West Coast and would like some advice on dealers, i.e.: Fife RV Center, Freedom RV, Guaranty RV Center.

Sorry for all the questions!!!

Thanks,
AkDutchman
AKDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The options we have and are glad we do:

Polar pack R19 insulation in roof
Two A/Cs
50 amp (required for second A/C)
6-way power driver seat
Side cameras
Residential refrigerator
Heat pads for tanks
EMS
Rear ladder
Defrost & remote control side mirror
Double pane window glass
Fantastic vent with rain sensor
Solar prep (easier to have it than to add it later)

Also, we have the vinyl tile throughout (no carpet in bedroom) and are much happier for it. Much easier to clean. We use throw rugs where we want to feel carpet.

I would have liked the cockpit table had it been an option for ours, but we have a work-around.

We have other options but I regard them as niceties, not must haves.

Be aware that you will have to deduct the weight of all the options you choose from your available cargo weight. Newmar can give you a weight estimate. All of our options (and we have more than the above list) ate up close to 1000 lbs we would otherwise have had available for our own stuff...

You will love your Bay Star. Great choice!
Old 02-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Patti,

Thanks for your quick response and input. I have a few questions. What is EMS? What is a remote control side mirror and how is that different than standard adjustable side mirrors? How big is the residential refrigerator? I also like the idea of no carpet which is way easier to keep clean.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We worked with Guaranty for several years. There are a couple salesmen there I wouldn't work with but Marc was great.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:14 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDutchman View Post
Patti,

Thanks for your quick response and input. I have a few questions. What is EMS? What is a remote control side mirror and how is that different than standard adjustable side mirrors? How big is the residential refrigerator? I also like the idea of no carpet which is way easier to keep clean.
EMS=Electrical Management Systems this is a display over the entrance door in cabinet that tells you how many amp are being used and what your hook up voltage is. I do not have a residential fridge. for sure no carpet in the bed room. and I thought I read heated mirror, to defrost. I also think all options that Patti listed are worth while
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Patti,

EMS is an energy management system. If you get the 50 amp upgrade so you can have two A/Cs (and you want the second one to keep the bedroom cool), and end up having to plug into a 30 amp system, the EMS system manages the load.

Standard adjustable are mirrors you have to manually adjust. The remote ones are like the electric mirrors on your car. And the defrost feature is nice!

The residential refrigerator is 10 cu ft. They do not use the word "residential", just call it Frigidaire. Much nicer to have than the Norcold, which is highly sensitive to whether or not you are level.

If you pull up the brochure online, under the specifications all the available options are listed for each different category. There are many nice ones, but the list I gave you we consider essentials.

They show vinyl tile as an option instead of sheet vinyl, but you have to specifically ask to have it all over in place of carpet. We had carpet in our previous RV bedroom and what a pain it was to keep clean!
Old 02-23-2017, 09:06 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are two AC nessary or can one do the job? I can see it may be needed if you were in the South during the heat of the Summer. Also, I like the idea of the frig being able to run on both propane and electric. I am guessing that the Frigidare dose not. Of course the extra space would be nice.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Are two AC nessary or can one do the job? I can see it may be needed if you were in the South during the heat of the Summer. Also, I like the idea of the frig being able to run on both propane and electric. I am guessing that the Frigidare dose not. Of course the extra space would be nice.
The two A/Cs with the 50 amp service is probably the best option you can get. Depending on where you are camping, 1 AC may do you ok, but should you ever head down into the southern regions where temps can hit the triple digits, you will love that 2nd AC. Also you are not just getting and extra 20 amps of service. With 30 amp service you have 1 line (L1) with 30 amps possible draw. With 50 amp service you have 2 lines (L1 and L2) with 50 amps possible draw on each line. So, you actually have 100 amps to play with. with 50 amp service you will be able to run pretty much anything you want, without running into problems.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Search the threads on residential refrigerators vs the RV ones. Lots of good discussion there to help you decide. The extreme sensitivity to being level that is characteristic of RV refrigerators made me glad our second RV had a residential one. There have been times we were just not able to be level...

The bedroom gets pretty stuffy just running one A/C. Not much airflow from the front to that little room. Does not take a very high outside temperature to make the interior feel hot, either.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:16 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post

The bedroom gets pretty stuffy just running one A/C. Not much airflow from the front to that little room. Does not take a very high outside temperature to make the interior feel hot, either.
I second this it was worth it for us too. We also live in GA so during the summer it's important!
Old 02-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Have read many opinions on 1 vs 2 A/C's on this forum, I would estimate that at least 80% of the opinions are 2. The most common reasons are on a hot day (above 90) if you wait until it's hot inside 1 has to work to hard to catch-up if at all. And the one reason I think is most important to consider is resale. If so many have the opinion of 2 this could limit resale potential. The cost up front is far less then as an after thought. And last but not least, remember when your looking at the sticker price of options, the average discount on the motorhomes runs between 25 and 30%. GET WHAT YOU WANT UP FRONT! And Enjoy 😊
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
And last but not least, remember when your looking at the sticker price of options, the average discount on the motorhomes runs between 25 and 30%. GET WHAT YOU WANT UP FRONT! And Enjoy 😊
Oooooh, excellent point!
Old 02-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You Guys are all great!!! I really like how helpful everyone is on this Forum!!!

Good insight on having two air conditioners and a 50 amp service. Living in Alaska and traveling mostly in the lower 48 during the winter months, I probably wouldn't really need two, but I think I will get two just for the mentioned resale value.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Stuart W

I see you have a 2016 with a 6 Speed. Would you mind sharing your experience with the new Ford 320hp with 6 speed transmission. Ride quality, noise, power, gas milage, how well does it pull a TOAD?

Thanks,
Wes