RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
New coach purchase advice---what would you do?

Scenario: Looking at ordering a new coach.......prices very close.....

Issue:
Dealer #1, excellent service reputation, & delivery reputation, BUT, almost 700 miles away.

Dealer#2, questionable service reputation, price a bit less, and location is less than 50 miles away.

Dealer#3, good service reputation, priced between the other two, BUT almost 550 miles away.

Advice answer: What would you do??

Thanks for your input!

Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 07:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Go for the lowest price anywhere in the country, choose FPU and pick it up at Newmar and spend a week with a tech learning everything and checking the coach with a fine tooth comb. It is worth it. Any dealer will service it or if you're like me which appears you are in VA go to Newmar for services and all warranty work. I go to Gaffney for FL annuals, it's not far from you.

Whatever you do, DO NOT BUY FROM MCGEORGE'S CAMPING WORLD in Ashland, VA. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE. They even made the news lately with law suits and nearly 1,000 complaints against their service.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with NealC. Price wins. No dealer can match what FPU gives you.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #4

Agreed. I just purchased in May. Went with lowest price and FPU. Some dealers will say they won't service a coach they didn't sell -- don't believe it. Like a car dealership, service is where all the money is made. They'll service anyone for anything and charge accordingly. In the end though, you wouldn't want anything to do with a such dealer in the first place as they're likely to be lacking in integrity department.

Some dealers will also say that they give their customer's priority when it comes to service. Every dealer I got a bid from, I asked them to show me their written policy on customer priority. Not a single one of them had a written policy that stated their direct purchase customers get priority in service and how that priority would work. So in the end, its is first-come, first-serve and everything else is lip service.

Lots of dealers have a great PDI, but no one can beat the people who built the darn thing and if there are major problems or paint issues, they can be fixed while you're at the factory if you take FPU.
The other problem with dealer pickup is that many times, dealers might not have the parts in stock to fix an issue you encounter at PDI. This is especially true if you're picking up a model year that has just been refreshed (*cough* Ventana *cough* *cough*). When that happens, sometimes a dealer will encourage you to take delivery anyway, saying they'll order the parts and you can come back in a couple of weeks and they'll fix it in a jiffy. DON'T DO IT. If it ain't 100%. Don't take delivery. Once its off the lot, its your problem.

That said, if you're going to do dealer pickup, there are lots of great Newmar dealers that will take care of you. I'd encourage you to buy from one of them even if its a little more than one of the dealers not on that list.

If you're taking FPU, take the lowest price anywhere.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:19 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
What does the FPU add to the bottom line?

Everyones situation is different, but I would do the low price and marginal service dealer. It's nice to be close to good service, even marginal, for the small stuff, especially if you don't live in it. Maybe still do the FPU, I'm not sure I would do that because of the numbers I've seen thrown out for the cost of it.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've purchased two Dutch Stars, neither has required a factory repair or had issues that only the factory could correct. Matter of fact, most of my issues have been small chassis problems or recalls.

If you can't or won't turn a screwdriver or do simple things that arise, go for the factory pickup, but remember, the money you're looking to save will be lost in the cost of the FPU.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
What does the FPU add to the bottom line?
$4,995
Old 06-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
It's all part of the numbers game. I paid around $2K for my FPU. Just another thing to offer a discount on where they won't somewhere else.

I know the dealer he's referring to with marginal service, that dealer doesn't answer their phones (service dept) nor do they call back. So you won't get in regardless.

I can tell you if I did NOT do FPU I would not have this coach today. I would have been frustrated and offloaded it. There were some pretty big issues that Newmar found and fixed on site that would have taken months to figure out with me being new to this and a dealer having some sense of knowledge. (My coach was only seeing 30A even on a 50A connection and EMS was load shedding, etc.). My FPU tech found issues anyone else would say "it works" but he heard a vibration, found a blade was broken in a heater fan and replaced it. That's the difference in FPU and local. There is a lot to learn on these coaches, I flew fighter jets in the air force and those had complex systems, these RV's have complex systems! I will always do FPU...ALWAYS!
Old 06-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I've purchased two Dutch Stars, neither has required a factory repair or had issues that only the factory could correct. Matter of fact, most of my issues have been small chassis problems or recalls.

If you can't or won't turn a screwdriver or do simple things that arise, go for the factory pickup, but remember, the money you're looking to save will be lost in the cost of the FPU.
Not trying to contradict, but want to offer another view on this.

I am a person who generally likes to do my own repairs, often avoiding even warranty work electing to do it myself. I am not a mechanic, and I have never worked as one, but it is a hobby that I enjoy.

I have a very good understanding about many of the systems on the RV, and due to this have come to recognize that most RV dealerships do not have this available. Even the factory has it short comings.

FPU is not just for first time RV'rs or those that cannot fix things themselves.
The reason I chose FPU, and highly recommend it to others, is simply because it is simply a very good option to get the coach delivered in 100% operational order in the most expedient way possible.

I discovered major problems such as leaks in the wall, leaks in the bays, leaks in the slides, missing hardware, etc. Lots of major issues. A dealer could have resolved this, but the added delay in transit time for parts alone would be aggravating.

I will not rehash all of my FPU experience here, as I have documented it in the following threads:

2019 DSDP 4369 - The RedBaron73 Build

2019 Newmar Factory Delivery - What to Expect

I recommend an FPU because the coach is not complete when manufactured, and many problems are found during the 30 days the coach is being inspected prior to you arriving to pickup. Then once you do arrive, armed with the information found in my threads and the various others, you have a list of things to look for and have fixed while there.

There is absolutely no time limit to an FPU, as mine lasted 3 weeks. I was blessed to be able to take the time to get it done right, and as a result the problems I have had with the coach since then are very minimal.

If schedules do not permit for a potentially extended stay at newmar, then you should avoid the FPU and find a very good dealer to make your purchase from. There are other threads and recommendations for dealers, so I will not list those.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #10

I've heard lots of opinions that FPU also means a coach being built is targeted to a specific customer - right or wrong, some opinions were that those coach got a bit more attention to detail. As they were not just a number, but a name...

And if you have the luxury of time, hard to argue with the logic of getting as many of the bugs sorted out at the factory before leaving!

Another good thing, is if doing FPU - you can then expand your Dealers search... and shop for better prices.

Best to you,
Smitty
Old 06-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Two dealerships talked me put of FPU. If I had a redo, I would without question do a FPU.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
We did not do the FPU, and haven't suffered much for it. Fortunately, we had some experience with Newmar coaches because the dealer pickup experience was not particularly good; very superficial.

If/when we buy a new Newmar coach, we would strongly consider doing the FPU. The big benefit, as I see it, is more than just an expanded walk-through. The FPU folks operate all the systems and do a thorough checkout, meaning that any problems should be worked out before you leave the factory.

TJ
Old 06-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #13

Ok never bought a new RV... What is a FPU?
andrew.r.noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.r.noe View Post
Ok never bought a new RV... What is a FPU?
Factory Pick Up

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchase