Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 04:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjos View Post
I guess I'll have to bring a ladder to my FPU next month.
they have them there, don't worry.....just ask for one....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 06:07 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
I agree! You know they are pushing production as hard as they can. In that environment QC has to take a hit. There were so many I’m wondering if there wasn’t a bunch of air in the caulking system. Maybe they just changed caulk supply? Who know? It was an easy fix if you don’t mind getting up on the roof. This all started when I decided to install 3 vent covers I just purchased from Gander RV (formerly Camping World.)

I have seen this happen when Dicor is applied to wet surfaces
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:18 AM   #17
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I have seen this happen when Dicor is applied to wet surfaces
I still think that it has to do with closing the electric slides while the windows are closed in a hot sunny climate while the coach is new. I inspected my roof when it was new and it was good. The bubbles showed up a couple months later in Texas.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #18

I wonder if the factory uses regular old caulk guns or if they use some kind of air pressure hose system with thinned out caulk?
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
I still think that it has to do with closing the electric slides while the windows are closed in a hot sunny climate while the coach is new. I inspected my roof when it was new and it was good. The bubbles showed up a couple months later in Texas.
They must make those Dutch Stars a lot more air tight than the Canyon Stars. When my slides come in there are gaps at the top about 2" high for the length of the slide until the slide is fully retracted. Nothing gets pressurized in the least.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:58 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Over 15 years I have open and closed thousands of slideouts. Not one time have I ever felt pressure in my ears. Wiper seals are only attached on one side. Any air pressure would easily flow past them. My belief is there is a air bubble in the caulk when installed. when exposed to the hot sun the air expands and you see the bubble.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #21
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Open the driver window about an inch and put out the electric kitchen slide. And you’ll feel the blast of air coming in. The flat floor full wall hydraulic slide does not do this because there is a large gap.

It doesn’t take a lot of pressure to cause a bubble in hot Dicor sealant. The sealant gets less pliable as it ages.
ptw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #22

Spartan Chassis
What product did you use to supplement the defective areas?? I will be picking up a new Dutch Star....I will check! I always liked Sikaflex.
Thank you.[/QUOTE]

The product I used is Dicor Lap Sealant Self Leveling. On our roof this or a similiar product is used by Newmar during construction.

Here is a picture of the finished repair on the one that I had previously shown and then a picture of the largest repair.[/QUOTE]

After you removed the bubble, did you use anything to clean the area before adding new caulk?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal, sealant