Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
New DSDP 4369 and upgrade to AGM

First, a bunch of thanks to everyone for their responses to my previous posts. We are getting ready to finalize a factory order for the 4369 DS and the help provided by some of you will go a long way to help us get it right.

We are going with the all electric upgrade, 8 batteries / 2800 Watt inverter. This upgrade is with flooded batteries. We got a price to change these to AGM on our initial order, but that price is a bit steep at around 1K. Our reasoning is that we want to reduce having to check water levels and we believe AGM will tolerate any mistakes we make in discharging them too low.

I would be interested in any thoughts and if anyone else has done this special. The other question is has anyone added a second inverter?

We are looking at ordering from RV One, but a bit hesitant on getting delivery from them and will probably go for factory delivery as this will be a FT coach and we want to do everything possible upfront to reduce and minimize issues.

Again, thanks for any info on the batteries and inverter question.

Regards,

Jim
MoHoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The refrigerator may have its own batteries and inverter and coach has the larger inverter/converter.
The fridge batteries are located where the LP Tank was located.
You can see the different options under appliances in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post
First, a bunch of thanks to everyone for their responses to my previous posts. We are getting ready to finalize a factory order for the 4369 DS and the help provided by some of you will go a long way to help us get it right.

We are going with the all electric upgrade, 8 batteries / 2800 Watt inverter. This upgrade is with flooded batteries. We got a price to change these to AGM on our initial order, but that price is a bit steep at around 1K. Our reasoning is that we want to reduce having to check water levels and we believe AGM will tolerate any mistakes we make in discharging them too low.

I would be interested in any thoughts and if anyone else has done this special. The other question is has anyone added a second inverter?

We are looking at ordering from RV One, but a bit hesitant on getting delivery from them and will probably go for factory delivery as this will be a FT coach and we want to do everything possible upfront to reduce and minimize issues.

Regards,

Jim

AGM ALL THE WAY!

We are expecting our custom ordered Ventana 4037 later this month. All AGM batteries was a must for us. I've switched to AGM's on my previous two MH's. The $1000-$1500 Newmar charges is less than it would cost you to buy 8 AGM's. They are essentially charging you the retail difference.

With AGM's you will never have to look in at those batteries again. Truly no maintenance. AGM's have a much lower self discharge rate than flooded cells. If you disconnect your batteries, they will hold their full charge for years. Great for a part timer such as myself. I can park the MH in the yard, hit the battery disconnect switch and know that the batteries will be at full whenever I turn it back on. You'll never have rust or corrosion of any sort in your battery bay.

IMO, AGM's are well worth the cost.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
007 Interesting

I saw this in the option link and may be misunderstanding... is Newmar including two inverters? One for the house batteries and one for the fridge batteries?

Thanks, your links are some that I follow closely.

rg

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2369233]The refrigerator may have its own batteries and inverter and coach has the larger inverter/converter.
You can see the different options under appliances [B][URL="http://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/DSDP4369.pdf
in this link[/URL][/B].
Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #5

On Dutch Star you only get 1 inverter, even on all electric.

You don't 2 inverters till King Aire. The second 1 will run the middle roof air.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2369233]The refrigerator may have its own batteries and inverter and coach has the larger inverter/converter.
You can see the different options under appliances [B][URL="http://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/DSDP4369.pdf
in this link[/URL][/B].
At least on the DS and Ventana (the two coaches we researched), there is only one inverter. It gets bigger when you go all electric.

All the house batteries (8 for all electric) are in one tray. When they eliminate the LP tank, the house battery tray is wider, rotated 90deg and spans a single larger compartment where the LP and battery compartments were.

All Electric battery configuration:

LP battery configuration:

Old 01-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The DSDP 4369 all electric coach comes with one inverter, a Magnum 2800W sine wave one. A second inverter was denied as a custom order. The coach has 8 6V house batteries, no separate ones for the refrigerator. The house batteries are located in the driver side front basement compartment.
I choose the AGM option. I did not want to deal with watering the batteries and the potential corrosion and moving the heavy battery tray in and out for checking water levels. As far as deep discharging the batteries, I don't know if AGMs have a big advantage over wet cell batteries. They have lower rate of self-discharging. If you choose the Newmar AGM option, you will get Discover batteries.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Okay, got it now

Only the one inverter. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding.

RG & Thanks to all.
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell36 View Post

Regards,

Jim
Old 01-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #9

By all means get AGMs our coach is 10 years old and just recently replaced the original AGMs. And the bay where the batteries reside is like new terminal too. We store food in the bay too. Don't even think about wet cells. They gas out and the gas eats cable terminals and the battery rack.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-05-2015, 01:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I stand corrected must of been thinking bigger a King Aire, I have followers that will keep me in line, AGM's are worth the money well spent you would not regret them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
As with most things, you pay for what you get. AGM battery technology is used in several applications that wet cell can't compete with, for instance, aviation and military applications. They do cost more but as already stated, you don't have to ever look at them really. They are truly maintenance free.

I have used them for other heavy applications and they always prove to be an excellent choice. I don't have them on my coach as I like tinkering and don't find it an issue to to up batteries. I also have my coach stored at home so I am able to tend the batteries myself.

Bottom line, if I were ordering a new coach, I would upgrade as it will be an expected feature when you attempt to sell, kind of like LED lighting.

By the way congrats.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Jim, since you are planning on adding solar, AGM's will handle that daily discharging and recharging when you go boon docking much better. That was a no brainer for me.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:30 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We replaced our wet cell batteries with AGM's on our last coach, a 2013 Dutch Star 4018. Cost of AGM's installed at Newmar was $1,500.00. Wish we had done it with our original order, but they were not available as an option when we ordered in 2013. They are now and it's a very worthwhile option. Would not want to be without the AGM's again. For all the good reasons cited above in this thread.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #14
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
New DSDP 4369 and upgrade to AGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
We replaced our wet cell batteries with AGM's on our last coach, a 2013 Dutch Star 4018. Cost of AGM's installed at Newmar was $1,500.00. Wish we had done it with our original order, but they were not available as an option when we ordered in 2013. They are now and it's a very worthwhile option. Would not want to be without the AGM's again. For all the good reasons cited above in this thread.

Deek

We only paid $1500 (list minus 25 or so %) for the AGM's as a custom order with our 2015 Ventana 4037. Very reasonable and less than it would have cost to purchase 8 AGM 6 volt batteries.

Have had the coach two months now. I've looked at the batteries once (just to snap some Picts) and don't expect to have to open that compartment for a very long time.

For anyone with AGM's from the factory, remember to check the Magnum inverter/charger settings. I had to set the inverter to "AGM 2" since the factory and the dealer both left it set at the flooded setting. According to the Magnum manual, "AGM 1" is for Lifeline AGM's, all other AGM's use setting "AGM 2". Newmar uses Discovery brand AGM's.

Btw, I have the AGS and Energy Management options, so not sure if those settings are the same without those options.

Tags
upgrade