Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2006, 05:27 PM   #1

My coach now has 3600 miles on it..when purchased it had 1500 and got right at 6.3 mpg with toad and dash air on. Today on a trip in the same driving conditions, except NO dash AC I got 7.3 ! Does dash ac pull 1 mpg or is the Cummins getting loose? also slightly cooler weather by about 15 degrees....mid 70s.
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2006, 05:27 PM   #2

My coach now has 3600 miles on it..when purchased it had 1500 and got right at 6.3 mpg with toad and dash air on. Today on a trip in the same driving conditions, except NO dash AC I got 7.3 ! Does dash ac pull 1 mpg or is the Cummins getting loose? also slightly cooler weather by about 15 degrees....mid 70s.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:42 PM   #3

Larry, Cooler weather actually decreases fuel economy due to denser air. I doubt the engine would loosen up that quickly, try about 20k or more. More than lightly it was due to wind condition differences from one reading to the next. Speed is the biggest affect on consumption and this is mainly due to wind resistance, though of course there is more factors. Even a 10 MPH wind against you as apposed to behind you will make a wooping difference.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:44 AM   #4

Hi Nut...
I understand all about temperature, etc. Actually cooler air increases power output because it is denser...that is why intercoolers are used with turbo setups. Wind wasnt a factor in either measurement....about the same, BUT speed was..I was actually running about 66 instead of the usual 63 for me..Maybe my triptek is wacky? Makes me feel good showing 1 mpg better tho
Old 11-01-2006, 03:05 AM   #5

Larry, you may not be far from the answer thinking the TripTek may be somewhat inaccurate. I use TripTek on this and my last coach and I've made an observation. Do you ever notice the fuel milage always seems poorest when you first start out in the morning and seems to improve later in the day? My both have. I'm wondering if fuel temperature does not affect the reading. The fuel warms as the fuel return line feeds unused fuel back to the tank at considerably a warmer temperature than it left the tank. I found my last TripTek, on my DSDP, to be averagely 7% inaccurate showing that as lower than real MPG.
Just a thought.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:14 AM   #6

I havent taken enough trips to even notice that. I also have not tried the old fashioned way of measuring the actual fuel used from fillup to fillup...kind of tough to do with foamy diesel..gotta go slow....will try that next vs the triptek info..thanks
Old 11-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #7

I have found that this time of the year you will start running into the winter mix fuel in some parts of the country and that has made about half mile per gal to one mile per gal difference in my toter. But it is less per gal not more.

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #8

David, That's a good thought. The winter grade fuel would explain a lot and you never really know what your getting at some stations during some times of the year. I wonder if winter grade's gravity weight is diffent than regular summer grade #2. If it were milage may vary as the tank empties.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:46 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I check my mileage often. I do it the old fashioned way by filling up the fuel to the same point in the filler neck each time. The wife reads her book while I do this since it takes time to overcome the foaming. I cross check the actual miles driven with the odometer and my gps. They are close in their reported mileage.

When my ISL had about 5k miles on it we took a 6k mile trip and discovered that my overal mileage was 7.3 mpg. The low was 6.7 when running the generator and both house airs and a high of 7.9 not running the generator and driving about 60 mph.

This year, with 15k miles on the engine, we took another 5k mile trip and averaged 7.9 mpg overall. The low was 7.0 running the genny and the airs and a one tank high of 8.05 mpg. Most of the time we averaged 7.94-7.97 mpg. I almost always drive in the 62-65 mph range. Beside the increased break-in mileage on the engine, I had changed the engine oil to Amsoil. I don't know if that has any actual effect, but I figured it doesn't hurt.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:07 AM   #10

Our coach had 9K on it when we bought it. First milage check was 7mpg. We slowed down to 55-60 MPH and the milage increased to 8-8.5. This last trip has varied from 7.5 in the mountains in the west to 8.5 in the plains. We are happy with that in a 32K coach pulling a 4K toad.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
engine reps have indicated some power loss in new cleaner fuel..just a thought and probably not that important but the change to new ultra low sulfer fuel may have an effect
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Str8Shooter:
I check my mileage often. I do it the old fashioned way by filling up the fuel to the same point in the filler neck each time. The wife reads her book while I do this since it takes time to overcome the foaming. I cross check the actual miles driven with the odometer and my gps. They are close in their reported mileage.

When my ISL had about 5k miles on it we took a 6k mile trip and discovered that my overal mileage was 7.3 mpg. The low was 6.7 when running the generator and both house airs and a high of 7.9 not running the generator and driving about 60 mph.

This year, with 15k miles on the engine, we took another 5k mile trip and averaged 7.9 mpg overall. The low was 7.0 running the genny and the airs and a one tank high of 8.05 mpg. Most of the time we averaged 7.94-7.97 mpg. I almost always drive in the 62-65 mph range. Beside the increased break-in mileage on the engine, I had changed the engine oil to Amsoil. I don't know if that has any actual effect, but I figured it doesn't hurt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oil doesn't make any difference but wearing down the tires does -best mileage comes when their at 50% of tread and of course the engine itself which probably needs at least 20,000 miles. Fuel will vary with weather i.e. winter mix will get less - ULSD will proably vary by engine maker more than the fuel per se. Most important is speed since its a cubed function.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
cwg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oil doesn't make any difference but wearing down the tires does -best mileage comes when their at 50% of tread and of course the engine itself which probably needs at least 20,000 miles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Attending a seminar the Cummins factory rep teaching stated " the engine is considered wet {translated: not broken in} until an average of 28,000 miles." Sure seems like a lot of miles to me, but it sure gives hope to those hoping to squeeze out a few more miles per gallon as the engine wears in.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #14

I took off on my first long trip of approx. 5,000 when my 370 HP ISL had only 2,000 miles on it.
Since than I have taken 3 more long trips of between 4,000 to 5,000 miles a piece, I now have 31,000 miles on the MH.
My first trip averaged 8.6 MPG my last 3 long trips averaged basically the same. I only check my milage on long trips so I can get a more accurate reading.
I am more than satisfied with the mileage to date, but I have seen no indication of the engine braking in and my mileage increasing.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote