Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2006, 12:05 AM   #1

I often read the posts on this forum.

I soon will be provided with a new Essex by my company to use as an office and onsite living quarters. I plan of getting a model 4508 because it has a second bathroom that can be used by visitors.

I would welcome any comments by anyone, especially anyone that has installed a work desk behind the passenger seat in place of the sofa. I am considering having the fireplace option converted by removine the fireplace and hearth and lowering the corian counter to desk height. I do like the cabinets in the fireplace option.

I also considered purchasing a roll top dest from the Amish Peddler but I think that the fireplace option would match better. Does anyone know if the flat screen TV in the fireplace option can be used as a computer monitor also?

I am not a big fan of any of the exterior colors for the 2007 model. I have been told that I can get the 2006 Mont Blanc paint on a 2007. I am leaning even more towards having the entire coach painted black with a high gloss clear coat finish. I hope that this would look like a fine luxury automobile, though it might look more like a bus for a SWAT team. I also am getting a black Stacker, (double deck car hauler), to pull behind the Essex. One interesting touch that I plan on adding is related to my computer screen name.

Thirty-five years ago I flew helicopters for two tours in Viet Nam. I plan on taking a high quality digital photo of a "Huey" from the front. I will also take a photo of the inside of the 13 foot high stacker trailer. I will superimpose the helicopter over the interior shot and convert this photo to a full size graphic for the rear of the stacker. From the rear it will seem as though a "Huey" is in the trailer. I attend many veterans reunions and I am sure that my Viet Nam Veteran buddies will appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post,

Bill Waugh
HueyPilotVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2006, 12:05 AM   #2

I often read the posts on this forum.

I soon will be provided with a new Essex by my company to use as an office and onsite living quarters. I plan of getting a model 4508 because it has a second bathroom that can be used by visitors.

I would welcome any comments by anyone, especially anyone that has installed a work desk behind the passenger seat in place of the sofa. I am considering having the fireplace option converted by removine the fireplace and hearth and lowering the corian counter to desk height. I do like the cabinets in the fireplace option.

I also considered purchasing a roll top dest from the Amish Peddler but I think that the fireplace option would match better. Does anyone know if the flat screen TV in the fireplace option can be used as a computer monitor also?

I am not a big fan of any of the exterior colors for the 2007 model. I have been told that I can get the 2006 Mont Blanc paint on a 2007. I am leaning even more towards having the entire coach painted black with a high gloss clear coat finish. I hope that this would look like a fine luxury automobile, though it might look more like a bus for a SWAT team. I also am getting a black Stacker, (double deck car hauler), to pull behind the Essex. One interesting touch that I plan on adding is related to my computer screen name.

Thirty-five years ago I flew helicopters for two tours in Viet Nam. I plan on taking a high quality digital photo of a "Huey" from the front. I will also take a photo of the inside of the 13 foot high stacker trailer. I will superimpose the helicopter over the interior shot and convert this photo to a full size graphic for the rear of the stacker. From the rear it will seem as though a "Huey" is in the trailer. I attend many veterans reunions and I am sure that my Viet Nam Veteran buddies will appreciate it.

Sorry for the long post,

Bill Waugh
Old 11-28-2006, 02:12 AM   #3

What a great company vehicle and obviously a great company for providing it. Most companies would opt for something a little less than an Essex for such application. I'm not sold on the all black idea. I think you could do better with some other color or paint scheme.
So, ... I am wondering, as I'm sure others are, what type of business uses an Essex like rig to use as a travelling office?

Peter
Old 11-28-2006, 02:39 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

I agree with Peter....while all black would certainly be something to see, I'm not sure it'd be that nice in a 13 foot tall x 45 foot long billboard.

Needs something to break it up...

As my new Stacker is 24 foot long by 13 foot high for the time being, I can tell you it looks BIG!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:06 AM   #5

HueypilotVN,

Sounds like a wonderful office/living space! I like your ideas. I have a good friend that flew loaches to Chinooks in VN and we both fly Bonanzas.

We have a 2007 4508 Essex. My wife also liked the 06 paint schemes better then the 07's but we decided we didn't want to date the exterior. We had the dinette area enlarged to use as a dual desk are for DW and I. Another friend has an 06 Essex with the desk behind the drivers seat and they love it. They can use the main TV as a computer monitor.

When you get pictures of the rig with a Huey on it I want a copy to show our friend. After VN they didn't need rotary pilots so he joined a mech batt.in Germany and then Kor. Retired as a Col. They are one of the reasons we bought an RV. Went to a fly in n Orlando and pouring cats and dogs so the 4 of us decided to go to an RV dealer. We liked what we saw.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:23 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Just a note to those that may be interested...

While in Nappanee I learned that you can have your coach painted ANY Newmar color you want that is either EQUAL TO or below the model level you're choosing.
In other words, if you're buying an '07 MADP you can choose from MADP colors and below.

While it certainly will add to the cost of your rig, I saw SEVERAL Essex in the highline service area that had this done, one was even painted an '05 Essex color as that was what the couple was trading in.....NICE!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:12 AM   #7

Lugnut,

Actually it was not the companies idea to furnish me with an Essex. I made it a condition of employment. I design and build mobile surgery units that sell for 2.5 Million each. Earlier, I posted a link to our web site in response to another topic about the full wall slides because our slideouts are 37 feet long and 7 feet wide on each side. I thought someone might be interested in seeing a very large slideout unit. Here is the link again.

Mobile Surgery Unit

Also thanks for the infromation about choosing a paint scheme from other models. A few years ago I saw a paint scheme that I really liked on a Dutch Star. It was blue and silver. I might consider that now, but I still might go with the black, maybe call it the Ebony Essex.

Bill Waugh
Old 11-28-2006, 04:22 AM   #8

Thanks Bill. Very interesting. Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Peter
Old 11-28-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes Bill, welcome to irv2 and the Newmar forum
Thanks for your info and you have alot of company with a Essex to help with questions.
As to modifications to coach Newmar may help you towards that end as you will be using for a traveling business,if you explained what you design for the medical field.
Enjoy the forums and your fellow Essex owners.
I'm beginning to wonder if there are any gas owners left on this forum.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:11 AM   #10

For your awesome Huey graphic, one method of doing it is to use a "wrap" instead of paint. Kind of like the ads on some city busses. Newmar sort-of has some experience with a full vehicle wrap used for the AllStarRoadTrip.com.
""The wrap was designed by Luke Mysee at CrossGrain Studios, http://www.crossgrain.com/ and installed by Primary Color in Irvine, CA, http://www.primarycolor.com/.""
Such a wrap might be a very cost effective way to impart a life-like image.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:16 AM   #11

Curb side work desk. I am told the basic design is similar to that used by Travel Select Desk Photo.
Also replacing the dining table with a MADP style or Villa International style dinette might add lots of storage space and add another work area as the standard EX dinette seems to have usability "issues" mentioned elsewhere in this forum.