Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #15

Congradulations Chuck. We look forward to both reading your posts on delivery and meeting you down the road. Great choice!

Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2006, 05:46 PM   #16
cwg

Thanks Peter. I just wrote Bob that as I was reviewing older threads looking for something previously written, my anxiety level grew in realizing how many things have affected some of you who have already taken delivery of your units.... it certainly will pass and perhaps I will be lucky. It is just part of a new rig,I guess.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #17
cwg

The road trip starts tomorrow mid-day or so for a "LOOK SEE" of the new Essex. After having all the stuff one accumulates in a motorhome, it is hard to pare it down and and pack so little into the toad. Got to have a few things along for the trip home after a few days of shaking out the new systems. Some of the curvy two lane roads in Missouri will prove a test for a 45'er.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:40 AM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

Had a pretty long conversation with Chuck yesterday afternoon while he and the wife were in route to Lee's RV...Between the cell call drops we were able to discuss his process for making sure he gets the "latest" cooling fan improvements. He and his DW hope to bring the coach home from Lee's!!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:20 PM   #19
cwg

As Bob has reported, we went to Oklahoma City last week to make a flying trip to pick up our new Essex. Just in last evening from the trip and as I was too busy to read the forum during the intense "learning period", I am just now catching up with the news of the forum.

Both Rebelsbeach and Jetsmania were wonderful sources of information on the trip over across Missouri and OK. I was able to take their information and network with subsequent calls to Spartan and Newmar to help with some of the questions I had.

The motorhome had returned from Cummins a couple of hours before we arrived, having had the latest fan belt recall. We had received a call at the motel that morning from our salesman (Gabe) who had stated that he and Lee wanted to take us to lunch upon our arrival. When we walked into the dealership, we were greeted with a small marquee sign welcoming us as new owners. Walking out to the service area to see the Essex for the first time brought smiles to our faces ... there was a banner on the side of the coach that congratulated us with our name and signed by all of the employees. Helium filled balloons rounded out the presentation. It was all a nice touch, and even though I have assisted at rv sales and know a few of the gimmicks, it still meant a lot towards good first customer impression.

After the initial walk through, we were off to lunch. Of course there always has to be a reality check and that came when we went out on a test run-- it overheated and the check engine started lighting up like a pinball machine. Right back to the shop we went with their exclamation that it would be going to Cummins again. Joy was not present for them nor us. But I dug out my brief case as I was armed with the information from Jetsmania and others about the high fan fuse being out from the factory. Not so fast guys to Cummins!

The tech immediately found the burned out fuse and then looked for the reason; Cummins at the factory had run a wiring harness across the motor which had burned the wire to the fan. Out for a second run could not get temps over 175 degrees or so.

We had planned to stay on site for several days, but the DW had a scheduled yearly trip to Chicago, so our learning curve was steepened and Lee's got most of our punch list fixed in record time and I got a little working knowledge of the coach, at least enough to get us home. Don't ask why the temps inside the rig got down to 52 the first night out on our own on the way home. Seems like I did not learn as much as I thought, or at least retain it when it came to Zone heating and all of the settings.

Much to do and have no pictures to post yet as I am in the detailing stage. More later.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:31 PM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

Chuck, congrats to you and the wife on a beautiful coach!

I pray your experience will stop with the one "Jetsmania" issue as you really don't want to relive any of my past issues...

I also am feeling optimistic that my coach issues are truly behind me,as the folks here at Howard feel that having that extra belt in the belly of the coach is "warding off" the belt devil.

Good luck and get her detailed and set up like you like her, but remember....I picked mine up on July 6th and even today I had everything out of one of the pass throughs and was rearanging!

With all the NEW space you've found, you'll have a GRAND time filling it!
Old 11-14-2006, 02:48 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't ask why the temps inside the rig got down to 52 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Chuck! I hope you have dethawed. Best of luck with your new coach. Paul
Old 11-14-2006, 03:16 AM   #22

Chuck: When the temeratures inside get that brisk, you have to snuggle up REALLY CLOSE to stay warm. Pretty soon, you don't need all those covers.

Enjoy your new coach and once you get some miles on it, tell us how it compares to your old coach.

As much as I hate to disagree with Bob, you won't have a grand time filling the basement. It will be completely full later tomorrow afternoon and you'll have NO IDEA how that happened. The good news is that no matter how full it gets, there's always room for one more chair!

Again, congratulations.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:38 AM   #23

We are finally working out the heating system issues. They have been calibrated by Newmar, but they need to be recalibrated. It has to be done at the factory or all new sensors installed. So, what has worked for us is not to even look at the temperature of each zone as they are totally inaccurate. We just pick the zone 1 & 2 are front, 3 is the bath and 4 is the bedroom on our unit, then just decide whether you want it warmer or cooler and change accordingly. If it is not warming up enough, it probably needs the diesel burner. To keep all zones warm when the temperature is below 50, it needs the diesel. I think this really might be a problem with the heat pump, but we'll just have to see about that when we get into warmer temps.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:17 AM   #24
Administrator Emeritus

Good one Ken....

Road Pilot, you need to head south and test out that air conditioning system!!
That'll solve your heat issues....the "heading south" part is what I am trying to accomplish,but check out my Essex topic for some weird news on my planned destination in January!!
Old 11-14-2006, 09:38 AM   #25
cwg

Roadpilot, you are correct, I thought I had the diesel button on for the Hydrohot, but alas, it was pilot error on my part.

And Ken, you are right about the snuggling.. I think my wife was so far buried into the covers that I could not see her face. And of course, once I figured it out at 5:00 AM, I then errored on the other side of the heat equation and nearly roasted. I always seem to be more warmly inclined than the DW.

I have so many questions to ask, but before I fire them off, I had better read some manuals and search the archives. Right now I am so absorbed with the rig that I have given up exercise and hunting. As THEY say, I have " bigger fish to fry right now".

One of the first things I have accomplished is that I no longer have the "lady" talk to me whenever the slideouts are extended or retracted. And so you don't worry about the safety aspect of her removal--- no kids, no pets, and it's darn hard to hurt yourself as you have to hold the switches constantly when the slides move.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:40 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One of the first things I have accomplished is that I no longer have the "lady" talk to me whenever the slideouts are extended or retracted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Chuck! Sounds like things are going great HOW did you shut up the lady? Paul
Old 11-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #27
Administrator Emeritus

Paul, I don't know how he did it,but when I got home and put the bedroom "door side" slide out, Lucy wouldn't talk at all...Not sure what happened, but since Lori wasn't talking to me either I kinda missed Lucy!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:00 PM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">since Lori wasn't talking to me either I kinda missed Lucy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi! That's a Good One Paul