Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2007, 04:11 AM   #1
KENLEEE

I am interested in changing the flooring from carpet to wood, in the bedroom area. Also would like to put wood under the dinning area.

I have spoke to Newmar, but they say no.

Does anyone have any input?

Also spoke to Irv/Napannee, he doesn't do that type of work.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2007, 04:11 AM   #2
KENLEEE

I am interested in changing the flooring from carpet to wood, in the bedroom area. Also would like to put wood under the dinning area.

I have spoke to Newmar, but they say no.

Does anyone have any input?

Also spoke to Irv/Napannee, he doesn't do that type of work.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:46 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ken: We had wood flooring installed in our MADP (06) from bathroom fwd. throughout (kept carpeting in bdrm.). Really glad we did, except street side slide on fwd. end (behind driver) does leave marks on the wood flooring from its travel in and out. Haven't figured out how to keep this from happening. Don't know (but would like to know) why Newmar said "no". Was it that they don't do after-market work except during that winter slow period at the plant, or was it for some other reason??? At any rate, we do strongly feel that the wood floor is definitely the way to go....particularly for full time use of the rig. I know this doen't help answer your question about where to get carpet replaced with wood, but thought the input might be helpful. If ya do find out why Newmar said "no", sure would be interested. Steve & Lynette
Old 12-13-2007, 05:51 AM   #4

KENLEEE, we had a tile floor put into our coach
by Duncan RV Service and Repair and Newmar sent us to them. The flooring came out very nice. They also do warranty work for Newmar. Great shop to do business with......
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:44 AM   #5
KENLEEE

Chicadee: You might have to change out rollers for the slide, leaving the marks on the wood flooring.

Kenleee
Old 12-13-2007, 08:12 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ken,
I want real wood floors in my coach too.

Newmar said the same thing to me when I was looking at an 08 King or Mountain Aire. For me, this point was not one I was willing to back away from so I'll keep my $s, in my pocket.

The reason they gave me was that Newmar will only work with components they have a process to purchase and will provide a warranty for. Real wood flooring is not something Newmar has a vendor for and they will not provide a warranty. I contacted the company who installed our wood floor after the 04 and 05 hurricanes (yep had to do it twice). The company would not put a real wood floor in our coach because of the expansion/contraction wood goes through if not kept in a HVAC controled environment.

As to the marks from the slide rollers, I was thinking of getting some pieces of thin but sturdy plastic (like the landing strips one can place under coach tires). That should eliminate the roller marks.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Had the wood floor in MA coach was nice until water got on it and swell up the floor. Also the rollers traveling across it would embed dirt or small pebbles into floor if it was not sweep up before hand. If you take off shoes so stones in sole do not scratch floor your ok. Found the simulated marble tile I have now is easy to take care of and doesn't wear thru as the wood floor or cheap vinly flooring.
I purchased some extra tiles to extent the tile floor to entrance door stairs and remove rug in that area.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #8

KENLEEE,
When they did my floor they also changed my rollers to a urethane type.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:33 AM   #9

Comments and a question...

We had a 1992 Kountry Star that had real wood parquet floring in the kitchen/dining space. It was quite nice, however ANYTHING on the roller would dig into it. Today we have tile that runs from the bedroom up to the front door. A better, albeit heavier solution for us.

Also have seen a remodel on an older DS, a 2000 model I think with a "fake, but really looked like maple" wide plank, flooring on everything but the slideouts and it was beautiful. Don't know how it has held up to the slide issue as I haven't seen this coach in a couple of years. The person's name is Mike Garner & he posts on the newmarowners group on yahoo. Don't know if he is here or not.

We also have an issue with the rollers on the tile floor. They leave dirty marks on the floor and I'm thinking that it will ultimate mar the floor by etching scratch marks over time. Plus it is noticeable as the tile is polished and is light colored. Now we have a central vac and NEVER bring in the slides until the vacuuming is done, so the dirty part is coming from outside or within the slide mechanism itself.

When at the factory we did complain about this and the tech said Newmar is advising anyone with this problem to get cheap, thin "plastic placemats" to let the rollers come up on to avoid this. This is a so-so solution. We couldn't find actual placemats that would work. Did try rubber tub mats unsucessfully. Found a $.97 3-ring binder at WM that we cut with a box knife & cutting board that provided 2 sheets for each binder. So our $5 solution requires that we know where each roller is and lay the plastic sheet on the floor where the roller will end up upon full retraction.

Now the thing is that the roller will push the sheet instead of rolling over it so when we do this Don is on the floor to hold the mat in place to force the roller to roll on it, not push it in front of it. He has to scurry fast because that street side slide does not have a long travel time. It's a pretty funny sight with me hollering "get the 2nd one" and "quick the last one" while starting & stopping the slide operation and Don sliding up and down the coach on the tile floor to get to all 9 of these (4 on one slide & 5 on the other) before the slide is in.

We are looking at refining our solution by perhaps gluing some of that thin rubberized shelf liner on the back. Something that will keep Don off the floor, but hey, it does keep him agile.

My question(s)....has Newmar swapped out rollers for this purpose? Asking since they told us no. If so, has the swap been successful in eliminating the problem. I believe these rollers are a nylon/plastic material. What are any others having this problem (assuming I'm not the only one) doing? Always looking for a better solution (and something that will keep Don off the floor).

Thanks as always for any info and your replies.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:55 AM   #10

Donna B, We use a piece of linoleum cut to just larger than the roller which "seems" to mimize the permanent marks. It does stay in place but leaves black marks that still have to be cleaned.