RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

New front TV for a Scottsdale

I am finally ready to get a new 32" LCD TV in the front of my 05 Scottsdale to replace the old Sony. I know that many of you have already done this yourselves, but my wife has told me "NO" on me doing the work.

One difference that my MH has is that my electronics cabinet over the drivers seat angles out and is not straight across like on many MH's. So the door would hit the new TV.

Is this something that Newmar will do or is there someone around Nappanee that can do it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
This place in Elkhart can do it.
And others in the area also.

Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #3

Thanks Triker
Old 08-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #4

Just got done with mine, previous owner had converted to 26" flat , I HAD to have the 32"HD , sliding wall mount did the trick, TV will slide 8" side to side, to clear the side cabinet you need to open.
Word of warning, chosing the right TV can make a huge difference in the install time,
Front speakers and forward facing controls, re-inforcement on all mount points, location of hook ups and power cord disconect from TV instead of wired in. All add to the complexity/ease of the install. Good luck, enjoy the new TV.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
In Elkhart there is

Booth Dinettes - Bradd & Hall

and

Blue Sky RV Co.

We had the blue sky guys redo the insides (flooring, carpeting, couch, & dinette) on our previous coach. They said they can do TV remodeling too. Brad & Hall has videos on the TV stuff and inside remodeling that they have done. We have talked to Brad & Hall about removing the Sony tube type and replacing it with a 32" LCD. They have a lot of ideas and suggestions on how and what to do. Maby come spring................
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm literally right in the middle of doing ours. Got the old TV out last week, made temporary mounts out of bailing wire and bungee cords since we had reservations for the weekend. Naturally I only put the TV in place when we got there.
Trying to remove the old metal casing, one screw was broken off at the factory and the head is stripped on another. Probably will work on that tomorrow again. Had to mow the yard and cut a tree down today.
I'm using a 32" Samsung LED TV, it almost clears my cabinet doors, will have to cut each of them down about ľ" to clear. Going to use a MOR/Ryde locking mount so I can utilize the storage behind the TV. Will probably rebuild the metal cabinet with plywood and recover it with new vinyl.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. Skip, I like the idea of the 8" sliding side to side. Sounds like what I need with the angled electronics door.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
will have to cut each of them down about ľ" to clear.
You might be able to just move the door 1/4 inch in whatever direction you need.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
You might be able to just move the door 1/4 inch in whatever direction you need.
I thought about that too, just got the old metal cabinet out today, need to go get some plywood, vinyl and foam rubber next. I'll get the cabinet rebuilt, then look at the door situation.
I want to be able to access the area behind the new TV to use for storage. The only locking one I've found is the MOR/ryde TV1-021H that lists for $140. I can find lots of non-locking mounts for a lot cheaper. Still thinking about that too!!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Just got done with mine, previous owner had converted to 26" flat , I HAD to have the 32"HD , sliding wall mount did the trick, TV will slide 8" side to side, to clear the side cabinet you need to open.
Word of warning, chosing the right TV can make a huge difference in the install time,
Front speakers and forward facing controls, re-inforcement on all mount points, location of hook ups and power cord disconect from TV instead of wired in. All add to the complexity/ease of the install. Good luck, enjoy the new TV.
By any chance do you have any pics of the TV mount? I'm curioius about the side-to-side movement. I'm going to replace our CRT and would like to get a bigger one than fits between the two side cabinets.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
......Going to use a MOR/Ryde locking mount so I can utilize the storage behind the TV. Will probably rebuild the metal cabinet with plywood and recover it with new vinyl.
Any chance you got info on this mount? I'm curious how it allows for using the area behind for storage.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Any chance you got info on this mount? I'm curious how it allows for using the area behind for storage.
MOR/ryde Home they have three models.

TV1-025H for a 25# TV
TV1-021H for a 35# TV
TV1-006H for a 50# TV
Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've done several TV updates. I haven't had to remove the "old" metal cabinet on any of them. In fact your better off with the new 32" TV mounted up flush against the old cabinet. No extra cooling requirments. These new LCD's generate a lot of heat.

Just build a support frame out of a 2x4. Mount it in the original TV box. if you want pictures I have them documented here on the forum. I can dig out the links.

Good luck,
Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 PM   #14

Scottsdale,

In the Elkhart/Nappenee area there are numerous options other than Newmar. In addition to those already mentioned there is Carlyle Lehman at Focal Wood Products, Erv Kaufman at Kaufman Custom Kitchens both in Napenee and Precision Painting in Breman. Any of these will do a first class job. I have delt with each and been very satisfied with their performance.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP

allynne is offline   Reply With Quote