Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #1

New low end Diesel pusher vs used high end

If you were to buy a diesel pusher, which one is a better buy, a brand new low end diesel pusher or a used high end DP, assuming the money involved are the same. Pls give me some insights. Once again thank you so much for your time invested in this forum.
MARANATHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Used higher end. More for your dollar by far, IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since the OP is asking, then there must be a willingness to go used. Buying new will include 30%-40% depreciation in the first year...but there is nothing like that BRAND NEW RV!

It's all up to the buyer.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post

2X, but with this caveat: It MUST be the 'right' used coach.

There are literally tons of good values out there in high quality used coaches -- coaches that people got into but did not want to stay with for various, non-engineering reasons (e.g., coach too big, had to sell coach due to finances or health issues, etc.) -- but in order to get the right coach -- the one that is otherwise perfect from the standpoints of being in top mechanical shape and one that is most suited to your lifestyle and usage, there is no short cut for doing careful inspection and, most important of all, a lengthy test drive under as many possible road, weather and pull in conditions as possible.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #5

Used high end w/ extensive research to get a good coach that has had regular maintneance. I think that most people that have money to buy new high end coaches would most likely have the $$$ to keep up regular maintenance and repairs.IMHO Good luck in you search!
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
I also believe it depends on how much time you have in order to find the right used motorhome. If you work 8-5 and can't get away from work to travel to see one that's for sale it becomes more difficult. However, if you have plenty of time before you need one and can be patient then I am sure one will show up in your area.

One good thing, at least in Indiana, about buying used versus new is the excise taxes that are paid annually. The tax applied is based on the manufacturers model year and goes down from there every year. A motorhome with an original retail price over $200k in year one would be taxed $2375 while in year four the tax would be $1549. This may not be a primary factor to consider but is still something to consider. Knowing this I still bought new but it was last years model.

Jack
Old 05-10-2014, 07:28 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Since the OP is asking, then there must be a willingness to go used. Buying new will include 30%-40% depreciation in the first year...but there is nothing like that BRAND NEW RV!

It's all up to the buyer.

Best luck
Yes for sure
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post

X3 - financially it's a no-brainer.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Slightly used...maybe amax 3yrs old. Generally speaking, a higher-end coach will have better componentry in it that'll last longer plus more technologically-advanced pieces. But ya gotta find a "jewelbox"..... One that wasn't used much. A coach several uears old will likely have some stuff showing up as non-functional and broken, and it doesn't get any better with age. Just like our own bodies! .
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #10

I've owned four Newmar coaches. One of them was purchased brand new while the other three were all used. I would never purchased a brand new coach again. These beasts are comprised of so many components that it is inevitable when you get a new one that you will have issues to deal with especially during the first 12 months. My recommendation is that unless you are able to take the coach to the factory at least twice during the first 12 months stick with a used one that someone else's work out the bugs out of. Most dealers have such a wide array of products they sell that it is virtually impossible for them to have their service techs properly trained to take care of all of the issues that can crop up with these coaches. That's why taking it to the factory while it is under warranty is the best recommendation. You will obviously still have issues arise occasionally even after the coach is a few years old but when you buy a brand new one it can become very frustrating when it spends as much time in the shop that first year as it does with you. Just my two cents worth.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:55 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Floor plan, décor and creature comforts are the items you will live with and enjoy or hate every day. Top items to be consider are:
1. Floor plan/décor
2. Will the coach carry all your stuff and people? (CCC or NCC depends on the brand)
3. Will the coach tow what you want to tow (GCWR minus GVWR) Check the receiver weight rating.

After these items are met, one can make the decision as complicated as one wants. Notice my three choices do not include new or pre-owned. For me, it is a moot point.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #12

one way to think about it

i would go used as most of every thing is fixed and giving year and type are made better

new .. well what i see ppl saying on here .. is alot of upset ppl getting new RVs and just calling them trash ..

if you find a good high end unit for the right price and some one loved and tank in care of .. then i would go that way

the new stuff to me is not even looking new .. your seeing the same old paint on the out side and not really any thing new on the inside
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
sometimes
I wish I had bought an older hi end coach but then again that means we would have
a very old coach now.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
For the same money you'll definitely get more coach in a used one. Here are my thoughts.

New will have many issues to be addressed that seem to be present (regardless of manufacturer) when one leaves the factory. Sure, you have a warranty but the warranty doesn't pay for your time or the hassle of getting to/from a service facility. Put a dollar value to your time and figure that in unless you think your time is worth $0.

Depreciation; the first four years are the greatest.

Taxes; some states use NADA values while others take the original price and depreciate from there. The difference in taxes could mean a tank or two difference.

A diesel engine is good to go for many, many miles if it's been taken care of and not abused (regular servicing). The first I bought had 180,000 on the chassis and 3,000 on the generator. Other than to look at it, it drove like it had only 180 miles. Keep in mind that a diesel and the chassis that comes with it isn't quite like buying a gas vehicle, thank goodness.

Consider whether you want to also keep up with DEF or other things brought on by the EPA.

If you're a particular fan of one engine over another then that will guide your decision. If you don't care, then you're home free.

Furniture and styling will be different. A good coach, in my mind, should not look so "trendy" but should have fabrics and trim treatment that's more conservative and timeless; something that will wear well on the eye. Some interiors I've seen in new coaches from some companies will get dated very quickly and wind up looking older than they are in six years.

Used -- There will be things a dealer doesn't know if you purchase through a dealer. Salesmen don't intend to lie; it happens by accident sometimes. However, if you do your homework and ask the right questions of the owner, you'll get the answers you need as to the couple of things that will probably need attention next. Keep in mind, however, that this list will most likely be shorter than the list you'll build when buying new. Above all, don't be fooled by the word "new". When buying used that word means the owner got the item new at some point. So, ask "when was it new." Also, if you ask about service records (and you should), ask to see them and compare that to the maintenance schedule provided by the chassis manufacturer. I know of a guy who asked but didn't look. The records were there but the intervals were double that of the recommendation. An example -- it wasn't driven for 15 months so the owner just considered watching the mileage for one service interval. When it comes to lubricants and filters, age can matter as much as mileage especially when considering the level of humidity and temperature variations where it was parked. Finally, look at the frame for any obvious signs of serious rust. There is a difference as to where the coach has primarily resided. In general, however, you'll get a good deal if you do your own research, ask questions, and make comparisons to other coaches of a similar vintage.

I vote for "previously owned and loved" over new.

Tags
diesel