Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #1

My wife and I recently bought a 97 Dutch Star from PPL Motor Homes in Houston, TX. We are delighted both with the motor home and with the extremely professional service that we received from PPL. Unfortunately, as with every used vehicle things happen. In our case the original TV located in the front of the vehicle died. I'd like to replace it, but I don't have a clue as to how to get the old tv out. I can't find any indication of screws, bolts, etc. It's great cabinet work and I don't want to destroy it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice.

97 Dutch Star 37 DP
Idylltimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #2

My wife and I recently bought a 97 Dutch Star from PPL Motor Homes in Houston, TX. We are delighted both with the motor home and with the extremely professional service that we received from PPL. Unfortunately, as with every used vehicle things happen. In our case the original TV located in the front of the vehicle died. I'd like to replace it, but I don't have a clue as to how to get the old tv out. I can't find any indication of screws, bolts, etc. It's great cabinet work and I don't want to destroy it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice.

97 Dutch Star 37 DP
Old 03-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #3

Unfortunaly you're going to have to carefully remove the molding around the tv then you'll be able to get at it.

Good luck!!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:11 AM   #4

Look in the small cabinets on each side of TV opening, there may be screws that hold the TV trim in place.BTW, welcome to the forums.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
i have a 98 and the screws to release the front fascia are located in the cabinets on either side of the tv...really only 1 or 2 on each side go all the way through..the others hold the wood strip...too cold and another 4-8 inches of snow coming in or I would double check all this by going out to the coach..but that is the way I remember it...is spring every coming?
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Idylltimes to the newmar forum and irv2.
If you have wood buttons on face of trim board the screws would be behind them 4 of them.
Here is a link that one of our members did to install two LCD's in his coach.
Congrats on you coach many safe and happy miles in your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #7

I went ahead and destroyed my cabinet only to the extent necessary to accomodate a 27" LG flat screen. I have the same yr. DSDP and was able to save the vynal material in the process and wrap it back after cutting the opening a bit bigger. The LG only sticks out 2 more inches, tpaers inward and poses no problems for me (6'4") coming into the coach. I have it on a swing arm just in case I have to get behind it. I secured the TV with a black metal strap across the top with an inside mount on the right side and a small screw on the outside left side. We're very happy with its looks and function.

03 VW Beetle TDI
Tony Van Helden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Tony Van Helden... how about some photos?

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #9

I wish I knew how to post pictures, but I don't. Sorry. The install process is pretty straight forward with some common sense. It's dare to do, measure, cut and fit. If posting were just as easy I'd try it.

03 VW Beetle TDI
Old 04-19-2008, 03:20 PM   #10

I have a '99 Dutch Star (bought it from PPL) and have loosened the screws but still can't get the TV out. It looks like I will have to take off the front moulding, but I hesitate to do that.

Any experience here??
Old 04-19-2008, 04:12 PM   #11

Not sure if my recollection is right, but check for angle or straight on screws inside of the side cabinets. I think there are two on each side and they're rather long. Do a good hunt here as that front frame should come loose with a good jerk and without breaking it.

03 VW Beetle TDI
Old 04-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #12

To everyone that offered assistance, many thanks. I got the old one out.

1. Open both side cabinet doors and look toward the tv. You'll see a piece of wood with four square head screws. On each side back the top three out until they wiggle just a bit. Don't take them all the way out, they're hard to get back in if you've got big hands.

2. Wiggle the frame surrounding the TV. It will come out but may be a bit tight. CAUTION: It may look as if the TV will fall out, but it won't unless someone has messed with it before you tried.

3. Once the front molding is out look on the lower right and left of the TV cabinet. You'll find two square head screws holding a metal plate to the cabinet. Remove those two screws.

4. Unplug the TV, then pull the TV forward in the cabinet. Once you can get your hand behind it you need to remove the antenna feed and free up the power cable through the hole on the left side of the cabinet.

Unfortunately I was not able to get pictures of any of the work. There was just no room to get pictures of anything worthwhile. Once I figure out just how I am going to mount the new TV I should get some pictures to post.

Once again, thanks for all the suggestions and help.

97 Dutch Star 37 DP