Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2017, 05:47 PM   #1

New Mountain Aire Headlights

Installed new headlights, turn signal and marker lights on the ol' girl today. The original lenses had been polished before and hazed up fairly quickly.
I used 60W (each) LEDs, hopefully they'll light up the night. Had to cut the lock rings down quite a bit to accommodate the heat sink/fan.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That definatly put a "sparkle" on your girls face

Those look a lot like my 2001 DSDP. May I ask what make, model and year of replacements you ordered. Maybe a late 90's Ford P.U. ?

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #3

I used 1996 Bronco lights. About a 1/3 the cost compared to lights listed for the Newmar.
429CV23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
thanks

Old 02-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #5

I see you have LED aftermarket H4 bulbs which we installed in our 04 Essex. We purchased coach new and have always been unhappy with the night lighting until we add LED H4 replacement bulbs and would recommend Newmar owners who are not pleased with the factory headlights change them out along with polishing head light covers.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:13 AM   #6

429CV23 where did you purchase your lights.
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
I see you have LED aftermarket H4 bulbs which we installed in our 04 Essex. We purchased coach new and have always been unhappy with the night lighting until we add LED H4 replacement bulbs and would recommend Newmar owners who are not pleased with the factory headlights change them out along with polishing head light covers.

Tom where did you purchase your lights. I have a 2001. DSDP
1dutchstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dutchstar View Post
429CV23 where did you purchase your lights.
I sourced everything from Ebay. Six light kit was $65, LED lamps were $35.

Based only on beam pattern sitting in the driveway, I'm unsure if the LEDs are going to work. Seems like the low beams have great throw, but the high beams just fill in just in front of the coach. I may end up using a pair of Silver Star Ultras instead. I'll be able to judge better after taking her for an evening drive, probably tonight.

A word of advice on the LEDs. I first sourced the type that are all-in-one, with a square heat sink/fan assy. The square heat sink is too wide to fit in the lock ring, even with it cut down. The ring would likely need to be cut down to 1/4"-3/8" in order to work. I sourced another pair, this time with the round heat sink/fan and separate driver module (very small) and they work with the lock ring just fine. Both sets were 4-sided, using (4) 15 watt LEDs each. The angle and focal length are different when comparing the 2 sets. However, I can't get the first pair installed into the lock ring in order to compare the beam patterns.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #9

Finally got a night I could get her out and see if I like the LEDs. Not really. They have good color, brightness and throw, but the high beams simply fill in light just in front of coach; basically like turning on driving lights.
They still need adjustment; they're both too far to the right, the left needs to come up just a bit.
I think I'll put in the Silver Star Ultras and see how they compare.
Low Beam:

High Beam:

Old 03-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the update. I'm waiting to see your final results before I take the plunge $$$

Looking at the 1st pic of low beams it "Looks" really high. The second pic of high beams does not appear to go as far down the road. Might your low beams be set so high that when you switch to hi beams they are pointing so far up there is nothing for their light to strike ?

Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 PM   #11

I haven't adjusted them yet, but while pulling one to replace them with Silver Star Ultras, I discovered the LED housing can be rotated 180* even though it has 2 different sized/keyed tabs that fit into the mounting adapter. You'd think the lamp would be keyed to fit only one position, and it appears it is, but isn't.
I'll get them adjusted this weekend and see how well they work.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #12

Before you put silver stars in it would be good to read about their actual output. Candlepower forums have a lot of info on lights and lighting myths. The main moderator can be a jerk but there is a lot of good information.

Transportation Lighting

Tags
light, lights