Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #1

New Newmar Dutch Star Owner

I just became the proud owner of a '98 Dutch Star. It is a project to say the least. I have been unable to figure out why the marker lights on the mirrors are not working and wondered if maybe there is a fuse hidden somewhere.

Also, the previous owner abused this RV and I'm in the process of remodeling the floor and furniture. Is glue down engineered wood a good idea or should I do floating laminate? I will be using new carpet on the slide out and in the bedroom.

Thanks,
Joe
PoetryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #2

Congrads on your coach. Think lights are not marker lights mine are dir. singnal lights. Good luck on your new rig. Ken
kenenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Poetry Joe to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Congrats on your new Newmar DS.
As stated the lights on mirrors are for directional signals.
To glue down floor maybe alright but I believe Newmar puts in a floating floor because of flexing of chassis and if you glued it down the floor will still try to flex and may cause you a bigger problem to fix.
We have people with stone floor tiles and radiant heating grills to warm floor and have tiles cracking and heat grid becoming inoperable in some areas of floor.
Not sure what chassis you have but if you go to Quick Tips and Mods link below many idea's for you in redoes for your coach. If you have something major a visit to Newmar may help and Jan thou April time period they have a 15% discount.
Enjoy the forum anymore help just ask.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Joe heres a THREAD in progress thats just about doing the something your going to get involved with may be something you can follow.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #5

Thank you for the information - what a great find. I have to tell you this is the hardest project I have taken on in my short 40+ years. The demo is done - all the flooring is up and we are ready to lay new floor. We have decided on a high quality laminate and carpet.

I think I stated before that this coach was a repo. I hope the previous owners are okay because this coach was so dirty that I'm trying to decide whether or not to get a tetnus shot just in case. It is going to the shop tomorrow or Saturday to work out a punch list of items I'm either too tired or not intelligent enough to fix on my own.

I really do appreciate this forum. I have read almost every thread that was even remotely related to what I'm doing.

Thank you,
Joe
PoetryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do not let it overwhelm you just take your time and plan,plan and it will come out better than you would have thought. And yes you have saved yourself some hard earned money and you DIY.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
JDe

I bought a Newmar Dutch Star about 18 months ago, I love it.
I have a fuse problem, my god there are fuses everywhere. The fuse I am looking for is the one for the Map reading lights over the drivers seat and co-pilot seat.
I just spent another futile hour ringing out fuses.
JDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDe View Post
I bought a Newmar Dutch Star about 18 months ago, I love it.
I have a fuse problem, my god there are fuses everywhere. The fuse I am looking for is the one for the Map reading lights over the drivers seat and co-pilot seat.
I just spent another futile hour ringing out fuses.
Are you sure you have a fuse problem? You didn't say what year coach you have. On my 2000 DSDP you have to have the headlight/dash light switch turned all the way to the left (counter clockwise) to feed power to those lights.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #9

"I bought a Newmar Dutch Star about 18 months ago, I love it.
I just spent another futile hour ringing out fuses."

JDe-

The map lights are really tricky. I believe if your's are like mine, you have to turn
your headlight switch on the dash all of the way clockwise before you can turn the map light on. It obviously is hooked into the headlight switch.

Good luck!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #10

Hey Joe, get those Ball Joints checked.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congrats on the new to you coach and welcome to the Newmar family. Hope your project goes well and be sure to post some pics of the progress along the way. Have a great time.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
We installed quality vinal planks. They look just like wood. Attached at slide out under carpet and held in place by by 1/4 inch round. Flooring had sound proof attached to each plank and interlock together. Flooring left over from house remodel. Also water proof.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Map lights on my 1999 only work when key is on
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
New Newmar Dutch Star Owner

JDE
On our 1999 madp the map lights need 3 things. Dash headlight switch turned fully counter clockwise past the detent, map light switches turned on (rotate switch on top of light), good light bulb. Our ignition key does not have to be on. Unfortunately we don’t know the specific location for the 12v fuse. Hopefully it’s just a burned out bulb.