Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2017, 11:52 PM   #1

New Owner getting ready for trip from CA to NC

Hi All,
We just brought home a new 2017 Ventana LE 4002. We've been shopping for a DP for 4 years and finally we're able to downsize our house since 3 of our kids moved out, so that we could come up with some funding. We decided on Newmar over a year ago and the RV dealer in our area, Central CA, started selling Newmar at about the same time, What luck. We really wanted a Dutchstar but just couldn't do what it would take to afford it. I've been reading this forum for several months and felt really empowered to ask a lot of tough questions of the dealer. In the end, I think the 2017 Ventana LE is going to fit the 2 of us well and we are very happy.
Our son in stationed in Camp Lejeune, NC. So our first big trip will be to visit him right about July 4.
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations or tips for the route there and back. I was thinking taking I40 there and something more North on the way back.
Also, any recommendations on where to stay near Camp Lejeune or Jacksonville, NC?
Thanks and Thanks for providing such a useful forum.

Doug
TeamReif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 12:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamReif View Post
I wonder if anyone has any recommendations or tips for the route there and back. I was thinking taking I40 there and something more North on the way back.
Thanks and Thanks for providing such a useful forum.

Doug
Hi Doug and welcome to the forum. There are so many wonderful things to see crossing the USA. I constantly reminded myself of this quote when we started the fulltime RV lifestyle. Traveling secondary roads is more of an adventure. All the best.

Charles Kuralt — 'Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything.'Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/q...kur108134.html
Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything. Charles Kuralt
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/q...kur108134.html
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:57 AM   #3

made two trips so far from here, first time went I40 and then came back I80, detoured coming back through Illinois to see the forest river plant, and stopped in Nebraska to see the wife's sisters,
second time last year we headed to Tucson to see my niece, then going to I10, to head through Louisiana, want to hit New Orleans, but the weather did not let us, so we headed up through Monroe and went to the duck commanders head quarters and bought some gifts, then headed up I20, then on to N. Carolina, our son retired last year from the Army, , he was in the Golden Knights the last three years of his enlistment, then just came back I40 to home again,
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:33 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
As far as where to stay, I recommend Holiday Trav-L Park in Emerald Isle. It's 30-40 min from there to the Lejeune main gate, but nothing in the immediate area of Lejeune is anything I would recommend...unless you can get a spot at the base campground at Onslow Beach on base. Your son may be able to hook you up there.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lets start with a big contrats on the new Ventana!!!

As we have traveled we use Interstates when we are in a hurry and State & US Highways for enjoyment. The downside to Highways is fewer Rest Areas. We look for grocery stores for most of our stops.

Finding a good navigation system is quite important. We have an in-dash Nav System but the software is out of date by many years so new roads aren't shown. Primarily we use Google Maps on our iPhone and iPads to navigate. My wife is the official navigator. She always runs our route on Google Maps using her iPad. Because of the Traffic indicator, she has been able to reroute us many time BEFORE we hit a slowdown. This has been a huge time saver.

Also important is a good Campground Locator. Again, my wife is the primary campground locator. She prefers Good Sams because she can save "favorites" and she likes the "Find Nearby Campsites" button. But she always checks the CG reviews on RVParkReview.com.

Finding fuel is also important. We usually use Pilot. We have their credit card so we get 8 cent discount off their Cash Price. They have a good App. Also Fuel Finder and GasBuddy are also pretty good, but you may find you won't fit in some gas stations. That's my problem with most Murphy's, but I'm 45' towing a Ford Expedition.

OK, so I haven't really addressed your routing question. My first suggestion is to avoid driving through the center of large cities like Dallas, Chicago or NYC. Find a bypass around them. Also, slow down! When in doubt, follow a semi. They know the best lane choice and they can see far ahead. Be courteous to truckers...they are working for a living and we are usually vacationing. Also, learn their signals/driving language.

Based on your route, consider a trip thru Nappanee/Newmar in northern Indiana. And always have Newmar Customer Service telephone number handy. They have a 24/7 Tech available if you have a problem. Their number is: 866-463-9627

Most important is to enjoy the trip! Again, slow down and enjoy the view.

I've been mostly off topic but I hope this is helpful!
Old 04-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
sorry. Double post
Old 04-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We stayed at Cabin Creek Campground in Jacksonville, NC back in 2008. It is a small campground but it is very close to the Marine base. We were there for the Marine Corps Leagae state convention. The owners were very nice and the campground met our needs. You may want to check them out.

Have a safe trip and thank your son for his service for me. I served in the Corps from 1968 to 1972.

Bill
Old 04-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #8

Thanks for the response Hammer55. I had to look up the Golden Knights. That is very impressive. I'll be watching some YouTube videos this evening to learn more. Didn't think about the Duck Commanders headquarters but you got me thinking...
Doug
Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
Lets start with a big contrats on the new Ventana!!!

As we have traveled we use Interstates when we are in a hurry and State & US Highways for enjoyment. The downside to Highways is fewer Rest Areas. We look for grocery stores for most of our stops.

Finding a good navigation system is quite important. We have an in-dash Nav System but the software is out of date by many years so new roads aren't shown. Primarily we use Google Maps on our iPhone and iPads to navigate. My wife is the official navigator. She always runs our route on Google Maps using her iPad. Because of the Traffic indicator, she has been able to reroute us many time BEFORE we hit a slowdown. This has been a huge time saver.

Also important is a good Campground Locator. Again, my wife is the primary campground locator. She prefers Good Sams because she can save "favorites" and she likes the "Find Nearby Campsites" button. But she always checks the CG reviews on RVParkReview.com.

Finding fuel is also important. We usually use Pilot. We have their credit card so we get 8 cent discount off their Cash Price. They have a good App. Also Fuel Finder and GasBuddy are also pretty good, but you may find you won't fit in some gas stations. That's my problem with most Murphy's, but I'm 45' towing a Ford Expedition.

OK, so I haven't really addressed your routing question. My first suggestion is to avoid driving through the center of large cities like Dallas, Chicago or NYC. Find a bypass around them. Also, slow down! When in doubt, follow a semi. They know the best lane choice and they can see far ahead. Be courteous to truckers...they are working for a living and we are usually vacationing. Also, learn their signals/driving language.

Based on your route, consider a trip thru Nappanee/Newmar in northern Indiana. And always have Newmar Customer Service telephone number handy. They have a 24/7 Tech available if you have a problem. Their number is: 866-463-9627

Most important is to enjoy the trip! Again, slow down and enjoy the view.

I've been mostly off topic but I hope this is helpful!

Thanks for all the info Dan. I might do what you suggest and stop in Nappannee. And I do intend to slow down. I just got the Garmin RV 770 and it looks pretty good. Combined with Waze Or Google Maps, I ought to do ok. I'll reread your reply before I head out. Thanks again
Doug
Old 04-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wborst View Post
We stayed at Cabin Creek Campground in Jacksonville, NC back in 2008. It is a small campground but it is very close to the Marine base. We were there for the Marine Corps Leagae state convention. The owners were very nice and the campground met our needs. You may want to check them out.

Have a safe trip and thank your son for his service for me. I served in the Corps from 1968 to 1972.

Bill

Thanks Bill,
Thanks for your service as well. If I ever took serving the country too lightly, I don't know. We did see Cabin Creek website but I didn't have enough details. Since you mentioned it, I'll consider it. Hopefully it is still in good condition.
Doug
Old 04-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #11

I am formally from So Cal but now full-time in my RV. I-40 would be the quickest route but I-80 or I-10 can be used also. All interstates have fuel stops, rest stops and campgrounds just off the highway. As stated by others Good Sam is a great resource to find campgrounds, Gas Buddy for fuel. Join Good Sams club and get a 10% discount on camp fees, and thru Good Sam you can get a discount for fuel at Pilot Flying J Truck Stops. I will be a volunteer at Cape Hatteras National Seashore at the Outer Banks of NC just north of Camp Lejenue this summer. If you have time come on up and camp there before or after you visit your son. And tell him I said thanks for his service.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
As far as where to stay, I recommend Holiday Trav-L Park in Emerald Isle. It's 30-40 min from there to the Lejeune main gate, but nothing in the immediate area of Lejeune is anything I would recommend...unless you can get a spot at the base campground at Onslow Beach on base. Your son may be able to hook you up there.

Thanks for the tip. I will look that up. I don't mind 30-40 minutes. I am feeling it will be unlikely that I'll get a spot at Onslow Beach.
Doug
Old 04-28-2017, 03:51 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you will have the opportunity to visit newmar factory, I suggest to plan to do so. Highly likely you will have some items for them to repair.

As for the travel. Do a mix of interstate and non interstate traveling. Good plan to come across the south then return to the north. We are currently doing just this - left San Diego a couple months ago targeting New Jersey by about may 1st. A couple weeks there and then we'll take a couple months to return to socal.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:00 PM   #14

Go Team, have a ball and enjoy! I also think a stop at Nappanee would be well worth the time, you can actually see how these rigs are built.
I have yet to make a trip out west, but if you can, take the time to see Mt Rushmore, St Louis Arch, Kennedy space center, and do not forget the solar eclipse on August 21. Enjoy the coach, try not to plan too far ahead and stress yourself out.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote