Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 AM   #1

New owner, no manual, what does THIS do?

Hey all,

New owner of a 1994 Newmar Kountry Star 34' gas model. No manual came with the unit, so I have a few items I can't quite seem to figure out. I'm sure I'll be back with lots more questions over time, but let's start with a couple switches.

I have 2 large 110V switches. They are white and each has a red light indicating when they are one or not. One is in the kitchen, one is in the bathroom. I THINK this might be the kitchen one for electric hot water, and the bathroom for heated tanks. Is this right?

I also have two switches in the bedroom on the driver side. 12V switches, right near the very rear of the unit. I have no clue what these are supposed to do. I thought for lights, but doesn't seem to do anything with the lights.

For the water pump, is the ONLY switch for water the one above the main door? My last unit (a Fleetwood) had a switch in the bathroom. My wife is extraordinarily short and has trouble reaching the switch above the door, and I'm not a fan of leaving the pump on at all times. Any other lower switches on these units for water pump?

Thanks

I'm sure I'll be back with lots more questions later, especially as we get closer to actually using it for the first time (it's cold in Feb in Canada)
omegacanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #2

For you owner information go here: Newmar Motorhome & RV Parts Lookup | Newmar Corporation

Click on access comnet, then you can look up all your coach information.

The lighted switches, one should be the water heater and the other should run the outlet in the engine compartment for the block heater.

Not sure about water pump switches. Isn't there a tip open drawer under the sink with a water pump switch? Ours has one there and one in each bathroom.

Oh, congrats on the new toy.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The 2 switches in back might be rear speaker on/off switches.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #4

Hmmm, I'll have to check on that block heater switch. Would seem odd to have a block heater switch in the bathroom. Of course, at the moment, this is all theoretical, as the motorhome is in storage. Might be a few weeks before I can actually get out there to try them out (plus any water related items have to wait until I can de-winterize it. Likely a few months rather than a few weeks)

Another question - does anyone know what the various tank capacities are in this unit? I know the fresh water tank is empty (winterized), but when I press the tank level check button, it shows 2/3 full. If it isn't working properly, probably an idea to know how much I'm starting out with. We tend to boondock mainly, so running out of water might be bad.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

Brochure

Here's a link to the original brochure: http://www.newmarcorp.com/uploads/br...94/1994ksb.pdf
LadyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
the other should run the outlet in the engine compartment for the block heater.
Never heard of a block heater on a gas coach.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club

I can't help you with the switches, but I would like to suggest a project for you. Next visit to the RV, note on a pad of paper every appliance and system you can. Look for Make, model and serial numbers. When you get home, Google each company for manuals. You can download almost every manual and if you don't find it, post the information on here. You'll soon have all the operating and maintenance information, plus part numbers for most every system in your coach. Good luck with your new coach!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
Here is a more detailed brochure of 95 coach with tank sizes and weights than the 94 all gas coaches were on the Ford chassis so these spec's did not change that much.
Here is a 99 Owners Guide lowest we have.
You can find information in the Quick Tips & Mods links that may help you also.
The two 12v switch's in bedroom would be for two spk's in ceiling which are controlled volume wise off the fade control of front radio.
110 switch over door should be for electric element for hot water heater do not turn on with out water in heater or you will have to replace it.
110 switch in bathroom may be for heat pads under water tanks.
You may have a small electric switch on hot water heater for electric element also.
The water pump will have switch over door in display area, one in bathroom and one outside in your water closet compartment.
Missed a tornado in 2000 in Red Deer when we were traveling through Canada after going to the Stampede in Calgary.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #9

Thanks for the info 007!

I'll print the switch info and take that with me next time I visit the unit in storage, try out the items I can (no plumbing yet, too cold)

Only 56Gal capacity for fresh, but lots of room for both waste tanks. Guess if I ever take an extended boondocking trip, I'll have to pack a couple jugs of backup water (especially since thus far, tank levels are an item that I'm not sure work). Definately no using the tub (although it does apparently have an outdoor shower, for the eventual occasion where my son finds a mudhole)

I definately remember that tornado of which you speak. Definately raised a few eyebrows, since it wiped out a campground as its main target. Pretty nasty tornado for our area.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The tank levels you need to adjust when tanks a almost full.
There are small pots that adjust above the led indicators that you turn to right to adjust to full to suite you, with a allowance for full.
The black tank look down toilet hole after camping a couple of days and adjust, tanks will hole more than you think.
The gray water will back up into your shower when full and do not forget to shut off faucets when leaving coach because gray water will be all over floor when you get back.
Fresh water tanks you maybe able to see in your compartments and the are two split tanks on both sides of chassis rails.
LP gas when full will be full at 80% of tank size.
Boondocked four days in four Cracker Barrel restaurants going to FL. from Nappannee and tanks were not a problem have done it many times.
Keep the questions coming we will keep you busy until the snow melts around here.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #11

Okay, managed to spend a little time out with the MH yesterday. Didn't discover a WHOLE lot, but.....

Switches in the bedroom are indeed for the speakers. Thanks for that one.

Found another switch in the kitchen that I can't figure out. 12V switch, above and right of the sink, right near the 110V for hot water, the gas hot water switch, and an electrical outlet. Can't seem to find what this does. Was hoping water pump, but nope.

No luck in finding any secondary switches for water pump (did not check outside by shower, as I'm mainly trying to find low mounted indoor ones). There are indeed 2 12V switches in the bathroom, but they're both for lights. Anywhere else one could look?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #12

Sorry, forgot one other question.

I, of course, found the battery disconnect for the house batteries. Easy easy. However, is there any disconnect hidden somewhere for the chassis battery? Given that these are somewhat infrequently driven, the parasitic draw on the chassis would seem to be a bit of an issue. My MH sat for about 2 weeks and I had to use the Battery Boost function to get it to start (chassis battery was JUST turning it over, but no chance it was going to start). Is there a disconnect switch somewhere?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you use the battery boost button you need to put on the battery cut off switch because the battery power will be coming from house batteries.
The chassis battery will not have a cut off switch unless if someone added it.
The coach comes with a Bird System that if coach shore line is plugged in to 110 outlet it will maintain the house batteries to full charge and when they are fully charged it will than charge the chassis battery, you may also have a small 12" square solar panel on roof the help with the parasitic loads,radio, engine ECM, trans TCM, LP Detector.
The system works in opposite direction when you are driving the coach from the engine alternator.
The newer coach's have a switch to shut off the LP Detector which you can check for odd switch, my LP works off the chassis battery.
Newer coach's have a control to operate the water pump from three locations, my coach has four because of extra bath, that you may have or not.
You coach year may only have the one switch over door entrance.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #14

Hmmm, well, might have to do some experimenting then.

In regards to the plumbing, in theory there should be no problem. Get camp setup, turn on the water pump, leave it alone until ready to tear down. However, I got nervous about this as in our last MH, the toilet had a tiny trickle leak. Not enough you notice (I only noticed when winterizing. Pink antifreeze easier to spot than clear water). It was enough though that one time when camping that when the wife went to use the facilities one night and forgot to turn the pump off, I could hear the pump running intermitantly through the night, and I noticed what I thought was excessive black tank fill the next day. Never really put the two together until winterizing. If everything seals off 100% on this unit (again, no playing with plumbing right now), won't be a problem. However, if not, might have to route in some sort of secondary switch. Have to wait and see.

For the chassis battery, I'm guessing I don't have the solar to the chassis. The unit is parked outside, and it's been nice and sunny overall the last few weeks. I do have solar panels (not sure what size, figuring out that is a question for another time), but they do seem to disconnect the charge controller when the coach disconnect is tripped. If I can't sort out anything else, might have to put in a manual battery disconnect. Nice and cheap (under $10), but kinda a pain to have to pop the hood to connect/disconnect when not using it. I can certainly use the coach batteries to start it if it sits too long, but killing/full recharging a battery, especially a standard auto starting battery, does not strike me as a way to long battery life.

Tags
manual