Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #1

New Rig or Not?

So, I purchased a new 2015 Newmar Ventana. After 6 months, went camping in Mammoth Lakes, California. Fell in love with the area and purchased a home that weekend. Got scared of losing so much money on the rig, I sold it after only having it a year. I'm now getting that itch again to purchase a new rig. I'm 60 and still working a lot. Will this be another bad idea to purchase? Would love your thoughts. I keep saying that I want to take trips and see the U.S. but is it easier to fly and rent a car or better to drive, pull my jeep, and stay at campsites?
umcontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #2

That’s a question only you can answer. For us, 6 coaches later and spending 8-9 months per year in our coach pretty much sums up our feeling about it. All JMHO
Old 10-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by umcontractor View Post
So, I purchased a new 2015 Newmar Ventana. After 6 months, went camping in Mammoth Lakes, California. Fell in love with the area and purchased a home that weekend. Got scared of losing so much money on the rig, I sold it after only having it a year. I'm now getting that itch again to purchase a new rig. I'm 60 and still working a lot. Will this be another bad idea to purchase? Would love your thoughts. I keep saying that I want to take trips and see the U.S. but is it easier to fly and rent a car or better to drive, pull my jeep, and stay at campsites?
The very fact that you are asking this question after your earlier experience indicates to me that you are not ready to buy another coach. If it is "easier to fly and rent a car," then that's obviously what you should do. Not everyone is cut out to be a motorhome owner. And, there's no shame in that. It is all about personal choice and what works best for the individual.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:22 PM   #4

I agree with Ann n Gene, it is best answered by you. We avoided purchasing until we were retired. We both retired at just over 65. That way we could take our time exploring without the rush to get back to the job. That said, we are now low on the cumulative “Fun” curve vs. those that purchased and used their rigs while still working.

If you have an itch, I say scratch it. JMHO.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:05 PM   #5
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, the doctor is in. Before I retired I was sitting at a campfire with some fellow Lazy Daze motor home owners. The subject of how much money do you need to retire came up. One of the grey beards (that’s knowledgeable and experienced folk) said “what ever you have when you retire”. I’ve seen happy folk in an old class C, fulltiming on just social security, thinking they are the richest folks on the planet. Also have met multi-billionaires that can’t sleep at night because they “don’t have enough money to be secure”.

RVs are not an investment in making money, they are an investment in making memories. If you understand this grasshopper then buy an RV. If you are thinking boy this guy is nuts 🥜 then move on, never read the forum again, it will only confuse you.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #6

The answer is in the finances. If you can afford to buy a new one and aren't concerned about losing $ on a resale, then it's strictly your call. A more conservative approach would be to buy a used unit with the idea if you only use it for a short period of time, there will be minimum loss of $$ providing you are paying cash for the MH. So....yes, only the OP can come up with the answer that will work for him.

I'm one of those folks that feels very fortunate to have my used Bay Star and have the ability to travel around this great country with a MH rather than having to stay in hotels!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #7

We tried the part time RVing because we thought buying a home in Florida was a good investment. Financially when we sold our first Florida home we should have purchased another and continued to just travel part time in our gas coach.

Instead we bought a new DP and began traveling full time, the worse possible financial decision we could have made. Don't get me wrong, we can afford what we have done and what we are doing, it is just that we really are not accumulating much additional financial security.

In the past two years we had a close friend get ALS and die a year later. Another buddy got AO (agent orange) related cancer and died. For us the decision was easy, spend it now and have fun!
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:23 PM   #8

I say go for it and buy the new RV. Of course its not a sound financial decision, but you only live once. Do it while you can and have your health. Much more enjoyable than flying, renting cars, and staying in hotels. Its just as much about the journey as the destination.