RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #1

New shocks on say 14 Dutchstar and newer

Our 16 Dutchstar rides great but there's always room for improvement. Has anyone replaces the OEM shocks with after market on a newer Dutchstar? Any significant improvement? What brand did you use?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I think Dutch Star Don is looking into replacing his shocks.
Take a look at this thread: DS 4018 Front Axle Weight (loaded)

Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the link I will PM him to see what he ended up doing.

Prior to the Dutchstar we have now we had a itasca solei. Pulled the OEM Sachs shocks off and put konis on. Ride was way better but still sucked. Thinking that if this MH rides so good maybe aftermarket shocks may make it better
Old 07-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced all six shocks on my 2014 Dutch Star. I really liked the Koni FSD's on my Monaco and ordered them for the Dutch Star. The rear drive axle was easy, but neither Bilstein or Koni shows a shock for the tag. I removed the tag shock and provided the measurements to Koni. They came up with the appropriate shock.

The FSD's are not available for the front due to the IFS. After bugging Bilstein and Koni, I was basically told that the IFS uses such a short shock (17" at ride height) that nothing can be done with them. Koni only offers their Adjustable shock. Recently, they came out with a new shock called a Koni EVO, but they have no idea if and when they will be available, if ever. They base their shock production on demand.

I'm happy with the performance on the rear. Not a huge difference with ride comfort, but better handling on curves.

While I was typing this, Road King called me, a follow up call after an email I sent. We discussed the shock and I ordered a pair this morning. I'm taking a big risk at the price, but hopefully they will work ($818.00 a pair, shipped to the house). I know that's a lot, but my Monaco was even more expensive since it had eight shocks at $150.00.

I know many are very happy with the ride of their DS, but here is California, there is hardly a road that doesn't beat you to death. We look forward to crossing over the state line into another state, just to get to better roads. Unfortunately, I won't be able to report any results for a month or so. We leave on a cross country trip in August, which will be the test of the new shocks.

"101stveteran".....Just like a limousine, your coach may ride better than mine because of the length. My previous DP was a 36' and I dealt with improving the handling on a short coach. I think my 40' with a tag also takes away from the ride quality a little with such a short wheelbase. I knew that going in, but wanted the tag for better straight line driving.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the new shocks. Our 2016 DSDP 4018 could use more forgiving shocks in the front. It really rattles your teeth when you drive on a bad road.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply don. Will be interested to hear what you experience.

We are out on a trip now and hit some really rough roads up in the northeast. I got used to how nice it rides on smooth roads. Maybe I need to go test drive a Winnebago
Old 07-19-2016, 02:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
There's a fine line between too harsh and a floaty ride. Our previous Palazzo was very soft - I changed the shocks immediately after taking delivery, it helped some but it was still much softer than I would have liked. The Newmar is just the opposite. Great ride on good roads but it gets rough on bumpy roads.

Hopefully Don will have a positive report back to us.

Thanks for being the guinea pig for us
Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah.....the report will cost $10.00 per person so I can recoup my expenses. :-)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:46 PM   #9

I pulled the Sachs off my previous 36' Meridian and installed Koni shocks but didn't really notice much difference. Now this 2015 4018 rides about the same. Beginning to think anything on a Freightliner chassis is going to be teeth rattling body jarring ride no matter what shocks.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Well I will soon be able to answer the Bilstein Comfort vs Koni FSD debate. I put on a full set of Bilstein Comfort shocks 2000 miles ago and hate them- much to harsh on the smallest of bumps. It rattles the whole coach on just cracks in the asphalt, but on big bumps like RR tracks or bridges it soaks them up beautifully. Unfortunately there are way more cracks in the road than RR tracks or bridges that I cross . My new set of 8 Koni FSD's are due in tomorrow and that is my weekend project to install them.

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:45 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put the Koni EVO 99's on our rig. They are a heavy duty FSD so no adjustment. They work very well too on our 20,000# rated front axle.
I had Koni adjustables on our 2002 Dutch Star after the front axle change from a 12,000# to a 14,600# front axle. I also tried the Comfitrack ones from Bilstein and they were good too. In fact the Bilsteins were still on it when we traded for the present rig.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:46 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"FunGus".....You'll ABSOLUTELY love the Koni's on the Roadmaster chassis. My Diplomat had a high frequency chatter in the front end that had you wondering if the TV was going to come out. After adding the Koni FSD's, it took away about 90% of the chatter. I was looking for the same improvement on the front of my Freightliner, but they don't make FSD's for the IFS. I begged Koni to put a set together and let me test.....they were not interested.

Over the past 10 years, both personally and in reading thousands of posts, I've found the FSD's were better suited to the diesels and the Bilsteins seem to work better on the gassers.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:06 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I also learned a little bit about tires when I changed them out with the shocks 2000 miles ago and again at 400 miles ago. The original tires I replaced were Goodyear G670 RV tires that had a vibration in them that could not get balanced out. Not knowing the history of the tires I could not say that the tires were defective and not damaged by the previous owner, so I got a new full set of the same Goodyear G670 RV. I installed all 6 tires and it had the same goofy vibration that it had with the old tires, so I thought I had missed something on the chassis. I took it to a VERY well respected chassis shop, think Brazell's or Henderson's of the Midwest, and he checked everything over and diagnosed 3 bad Goodyear tires!!!! He took a video of it on the rack with the rear axle spinning and 1 tire hopped up and down like a bunny rabbit and the 2 on the other sided side-shifted back and forth like they were dancing. So that was 50% of my new Goodyear tires that were junk when I put them on. He said the Goodyears are know to have a lot of problems and he showed me dozens in the junk heap with the "rivering" that they are infamous for. He suggested Bridgestone R268 Ecopia tires, so I went back to my tire supplier and he warranted out all 6 Goodyears and got me the Bridgestones. No more 400hp diesel powered vibrator going down the road any more
The Bridgestones even ride a little better over the bumps than the Goodyears

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #14

Fungus,

I will second the G670 tire as a poor choice. I put 8 on a previous roadmaster 10 bag chassis and 2 went bad within a month.

When we tried to balance one with 60 miles on it, it looked square on the rack!

I know this is a shock thread but I hate seeing people throw money away when it comes to tire discussions.....

Tags
shocks