Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #1

New To Class A RV's - pre-purchase 2006 Ventana 3613

My wife and I are located in Central Ohio. We're going to make the plunge this year into Class A RV'ing and visit the national and state parks.

I'm going out this week to look at and inspect a 2006 Ventana 3613 (Late 2006 chassis with a the 2007 3613 floorplan).

Besides the obvious (water leaks, delamination, rusted chassis). What specific things should I look for and ask about that are specific to these RV's? Newmars seem to be a bit different than other RV's with there build and quality, which is what I like. That being said, I'm sure there are things that only owners would know to look for during a pre-purchase inspection.

Thanks in advance!

Craig

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by surftalks View Post
My wife and I are located in Central Ohio. We're going to make the plunge this year into Class A RV'ing and visit the national and state parks.

I'm going out this week to look at and inspect a 2006 Ventana 3613 (Late 2006 chassis with a the 2007 3613 floorplan).

Besides the obvious (water leaks, delamination, rusted chassis). What specific things should I look for and ask about that are specific to these RV's? Newmars seem to be a bit different than other RV's with there build and quality, which is what I like. That being said, I'm sure there are things that only owners would know to look for during a pre-purchase inspection.

Thanks in advance!

Craig
Glad you found us Craig.

I think you are starting off on the right foot by going with used. The quality control of most RVs is very poor for the most part and the dealers are often difficult to get motivated to do the correction work correctly the first time around.

Now, with that off my chest, are you more interested in a gasser or a diesel pusher? Gassers are great for short halls and weekend camping. Many do go long distance with them but it is much more "work" than with a DP. The DP rides better and does hills and mountains with less strain on the drive train.

Things to look for are #1, the date code and condition of the tires. Michelin has a reputation of side wall cracking in 5 or less years. A tire over 7 years old is to be suspect. If Michelin, a good looking, older set of tires can be removed from the rim by a qualified tire tech and examined for internal damage.

If the unit has a auto start generator system have it run for you. In any case run the generator and test the transfer switch system.

Battery charging can be a problem. Have the batteries load tested, house and start, no mater the date of the battery. Sitting on a RV lot will kill them if they are not kept charged.

Your RV should charge both the house and start batteries when on the road. This can be tested in the dealers lot. Start the coach and have them measure the voltage on the start batteries. It should be around 13.5V or greater, but under 15V. While the engine is running check the voltage of the house batteries. If around 12.6V heat some water in the microwave. This should pull the house batteries down so that when the start batteries are charged the charging system will detect that the house bank needs to be charged and switch to it. This is a good way to load test the house batteries and test the inverter. After this test is completed successfully have the coach plugged in to a 50 or 30A service, what ever it is wired for. See if the house and start batteries charge as expected. It is all the same charging switch only the charging source is now the inverter.

Just a note about 30A vs 50A service, in case you don't know the difference. 30A is 120V/30A service only, where as a 50A service is really two 120V/50A legs or 100A of available power. Most coaches don't have 240V service. If a service neutral on a 50A service is broken the 240V on the coach can do some major damage to the components in the coach.

Try to see the service record. Maintenance is important. If you are dead serious on a unit it might be wise to hire a professional boat and rv surveyor. They are usual good at determining to condition of a rig.

For most of the corp of engineer parks, local, state and federal parks, the older the park the less likely it will be able to accommodate a rig over 35', give or take. Hope your rv search is a fun one for you and your family. Ebay and Craig's List are a good place to shop also as long as wisdom is used.

Happy trails and please keep us updated on your progress. As you can guess, I only touched the tip of the topic.

Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the excellent advise on the electrical system. I'm making a check list to make sure they run all those test.

Only have considered a Diesel Pusher. I've owned enough vehicles and trucks to know that diesel is the only way to go with the weights we are hauling around. I'll also be dinghy towing a Jeep Wrangler with a supplemental braking system. When I step on the accelerator, I'd like the Motor home to move... downhill, uphill, level road. I also love the exhaust and or engine brakes the diesel pushers have. Not to forget the air ride.

Craig
Old 03-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Newmar doesn't have a problem with sidewall delamination due to the hung wall construction, but around 2005 to 2008 model years they did have a problem with "sidewall checking".

You can't "cut and buff" or paint to cover it up, the only fix is to replace the defective sidewall material. On our coach Newmar covered the vast majority of the $30K cost. My understanding is they cover on a sliding scale based on how old the coach is and when it was first reported.

Obviously if the sidewalls have been replaced you won't have this issue. Sidewall replacement always occurs at Newmar so Customer service (1-800-731-8300) will have records if you call them with the VIN or coach number.

Here and here are a couple of threads with more information.

If the coach has Atwood electric jacks and they are still the early type they will become an issue, there's a design defect in them that causes them to fail with use. When we had the coach sidewalls replaced we also had Newmar replace the jacks. It's pretty easy to tell if the jacks are new or old, when raised, the old ones will make a clutching sound when they are fully retracted, the new ones will stop without making the sound.

There are also differences in the control panel, I can snap some pictures of the old and new ones if requested. Newmar didn't give me quite the deal on replacing those, but Atwood chipped in and made replacement worthwhile.

Other than that, our coach has been relatively trouble-free. No roof leaks, even at the clearance lights which are a known trouble spot. We had the roof resealed when we had the sidewalls replaced also, it's an expected maintenance item.

The other issues we've had would have occurred on any brand coach as they deal with the systems and appliances you'd find on other brands. Issues such as electric steps needing rebuilding a couple of years ago and the heat pumps failing at about 8 years old would occur with any brand.

Good Luck with your search!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

The cracking and crazing typically occurs on the areas with the darkest paint. Also, not all coaches have the problem. I just purchased a 2007 MADP with some clear coat issues in the roof cap, but no cracking or crazing
Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyspecrace View Post
The cracking and crazing typically occurs on the areas with the darkest paint.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyspecrace View Post
Also, not all coaches have the problem. I just purchased a 2007 MADP with some clear coat issues in the roof cap, but no cracking or crazing
Good to know. From what I understand, Newmar started using the sidewall material in phases, the "high line" models got it first (MADP is one of the "high line" models), Ventana and Canyon Star are "standard line", they got the new sidewall material later, the Canyon Star after February 2008, the production date of our coach. There is a thread on this forum somewhere with the timeline information but I haven't found it.

Newmar did confirm to me the phasing in of the new material by line, so it is not surprising at all that your coach has good sidewall material.

From what I understand, if your coach had bad material the issue would have shown up already, especially if it was used full-time or stored in the sun. Ours showed up during the warranty period, the dealer repainted sections and thought they had fixed it...
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:58 AM   #7

The 2 places everyone should look at before buying a motorhome are the 2 places that are the hardest to see, the roof and under the body.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:36 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by surftalks View Post
Thanks for the excellent advise on the electrical system. I'm making a check list to make sure they run all those test.

Only have considered a Diesel Pusher. I've owned enough vehicles and trucks to know that diesel is the only way to go with the weights we are hauling around. I'll also be dinghy towing a Jeep Wrangler with a supplemental braking system. When I step on the accelerator, I'd like the Motor home to move... downhill, uphill, level road. I also love the exhaust and or engine brakes the diesel pushers have. Not to forget the air ride.

Craig
When I hit the road back in '05 my only choice was anything on a Frightliner chassis with a Alison transmission. I was sooo very green about anything else. And I didn't know about irv2.

The Wrangler is a popular towed. The SMI Air Force One is an excellent breaking system to use with it. I did the install for my CR-V of the base plate and AF1. Both are diy if you are a bit handy around tools.

The advise that the others have posted is all solid. You will be well educated as you head out on the buying adventure.

Before you ever look at the price tag, or anything else for that matter, know for certain what you want for a floorplan. Are you OK with the TV over the dash or located where you have to watch it through the galley? Do you want a washer and dryer? What of a residential refrigerator? (We love ours.)

Have you considered looking at the various manufacturer websites for product brochures? Here is the one for my coach. We love the 40U. It is the biggest unit with the best floorplan for us and our volunteer life style.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11_meridian_bro.pdf (2.76 MB, 6 views)
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 04:57 AM   #9

There are lots of great coaches out there, search on ebay, RVT.com, even craigslist... you will certainly find something you like. If there are any RV shows nearby, go and look, ask questions, and learn as much as you can. It will be time well spent. Towing capacity is important, as you will certainly need wheels while on the road. Nwemar's comfort drive is nice, and a tag does make a difference in the handling on the road. Never get in a hurry, plan a trip that is flexible so you can take advantage of exploration during a trip. Try to be parked and set up before dark, some parks, campgrounds can be extremely tight and trying to maneuver after dark is a challenge. Our Ventana is in the classifieds, and we really love the coach, it has not disappointed us. Another concern is storage... indoors with power is best. Check the weight ratings and be sure you have enough carrying capability for your situation. Ownership is not just gas and go... there are a lot of things you need to check, systems to operate, how to set up and take down from a site etc... Be sure you can get around inside with the slides retracted, I would ask for a test drive to a simulated camp site, go thru the setup process, then reverse all that and drive back.
Have fun and enjoy the experience.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:56 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Good advice here and here is my advice: Try to "stretch" now and get the coach you really want. WE wasted a lot of money working up to the coach we have now. It did help us firm up what we found to be important in a coach (dish and clothes washer, Oasis heat, bath and a half). We had 5 5th wheels, and 4 drivable before settling on our 08 dutch star. You are starting out on a great adventure! Enjoy mark

Tags
class a, purchase, rvs, vent, ventana