Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #1

New to Diesel Pushing World

Hi, I'm looking for any pointers on owning, maintaining and operating a diesel any pointers help, from driving to letting it warm up, air up etc. Is there stuff I should know that's different from driving a gasser? Thanks for helping newbie
nathan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 10:11 PM   #2

Once you get a diesel pusher you never want to go back to a gas unit. Might follow Cummins page on irv2 for suggestion on owning and operating a diesel RV.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If the motorhome you bought came with the manuals sit down and study them. Try to learn about each of the main components. In most cases there will be a maintenance schedule, there may also be detailed explanations on how to do it.

Probably the most important aspect of owning a diesel is to keep up with the maintenance intervals. Oil Changes for engine, transmission and lube/greasing are important along with thorough inspection. Lapse in these areas will cost $$$$$.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:49 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan55 View Post
Hi, I'm looking for any pointers on owning, maintaining and operating a diesel any pointers help, from driving to letting it warm up, air up etc. Is there stuff I should know that's different from driving a gasser? Thanks for helping newbie
Hard to do justice to your question. But I agree, read the manuals. Here are just a few thoughts from a non-expert. 1. Know that idling is not a great way to warm up a diesel. A tech showed me how to use the cruise control to increase RPMs while warming up from a cold start. 2. Know that all your power is in a narrow band of RPMs, usually 1500 to 2000 or so. 3. I hear these motors are just breaking in at about 50,000 miles, so they last a long time if you care for them. 4. Get a Cummins! 5. Don't fret over fuel mileage :-)
Old 04-03-2016, 05:58 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Don't fret over fuel milage? Yikes. While I get your point and it is well taken, we soon to be RVers, full timers at that, will still need time to adjust from 45 mpg in our diesel 2006 VW Jetta to 8 mpg in our future 2017? 2018? DS.
JohnRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:42 AM   #6

Have you already bought one or are you looking? If you have one it's a good idea to put the mfg, year and model in your signature line. If you are looking to purchase one tell us the price range and general floor plan.

Newer rigs are mostly chasing factory screw ups and warranty work. Older rigs, especially pre DEF units are generally a different set of questions.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #7

Any DP is going to be around 7 to 10 MPG. Oh yea, don't expect diesel to be in the $2/gal range forever. It wasn't too long ago diesel was just at the $5/gal mark. It will always be more than gas. We tend to say that we ignore the mileage since DPs are generally more expensive and the cost of fuel is typically not the biggest factor in owning one. Of course that's coming from someone driving 6K or so miles a year. People who drive a lot more than that might have a different opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRL View Post
Don't fret over fuel milage? Yikes. While I get your point and it is well taken, we soon to be RVers, full timers at that, will still need time to adjust from 45 mpg in our diesel 2006 VW Jetta to 8 mpg in our future 2017? 2018? DS.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Welcome to the party Nathan.

I suggest you create a signature with a description of your coach. It will help others respond to any questions you may have with something more specific to your coach.

Happy trails!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:45 AM   #9

Great Idea...and done
nathan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #10
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Lightbulb A few DP tips from a two time owner of a DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan55 View Post

As others have said, there is a lot to answer but I think the most important difference between driving a gasser and a DP is the Air Brakes. It is very important to understand how they work. This is often the most comprehensive section of many CDL exams. Read up on the Air Brake system; monitoring air pressure before embarking, not overusing your brakes on hills, testing, etc.

The second most important difference IMO is the Exhaust or Engine Brake, depending on your unit you end up getting. My 2015 Ventana has a two stage Engine Brake vs. a one stage Exhaust Brake on my previous 2010 Winnebago DP. Again, read up on the proper usage of an Engine/Exhaust brake.

The rest is just "feel", which you'll adjust to simply by putting time in behind the wheel. As others have said, once you drive a DP with air bag suspension and comfort drive, you'll never go back to a gasser.

7-11 mpg is what we get on our current 400HP 40' 2015 Ventana, towing a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Our previous 2010 34' Winnebago DP got a bit better at 10-12. That's driving the speed limit +3. The Ventana cruises nicely at 73 We've only owned one 2007 Ford V10 gasser and it had dismal fuel milage, sometimes as low as 5mpg towing the Jeep Wrangler and it couldn't go over 60 mph without extreme white knuckles.

DEF is another thing to think about with a newer DP. I found it's easiest and cheapest to buy DEF at Walmart. Every time we're at a Walmart, I just top off my DEF and keep a spare jug in the storage compartment.

As far as maintenance, I do just what I do on all my other "non-hobby" vehicles. Once a year I bring it to a full service shop and ask them to do the required chassis/engine/generator yearly maintenance. I don't put enough milage on to worry about service in smaller intervals than yearly. I've got a classic car, a classic motorcycle and a modern motorcycle that I do all my own maintenance, rebuilding, etc on - I don't consider MH maintenance another hobby.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias7000 View Post
Hard to do justice to your question. But I agree, read the manuals. Here are just a few thoughts from a non-expert. 1. Know that idling is not a great way to warm up a diesel. A tech showed me how to use the cruise control to increase RPMs while warming up from a cold start. 2. Know that all your power is in a narrow band of RPMs, usually 1500 to 2000 or so. 3. I hear these motors are just breaking in at about 50,000 miles, so they last a long time if you care for them. 4. Get a Cummins! 5. Don't fret over fuel mileage :-)
The Cummins factory itself says a diesel engine does not warm up much even on high idle. Best way is to start the engine, make sure you have oil pressure and drive easily till it comes up to running temp.
If these are just getting broken in at 50,000 miles why are some Cummins having to be rebuilt twice before 50,000 miles and had three turbo's replaced?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The Cummins factory itself says a diesel engine does not warm up much even on high idle. Best way is to start the engine, make sure you have oil pressure and drive easily till it comes up to running temp.
If these are just getting broken in at 50,000 miles why are some Cummins having to be rebuilt twice before 50,000 miles and had three turbo's replaced?
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #13

I have to imagine your experiences are the exception rather than the rule. I know that knowledge doesn't help much considering the agrivation and expense you've gone through. But it certainly is a good example of what can go wrong and how sometimes warranty coverage isn't your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Old 04-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #14

We had an ISC 330 Cummins engine in our 2000 Dutch Star. When we traded it, it had nearly 126,000 miles and ran like a top. We had it serviced twice a year, checked all fluids every time before starting the engine. It had many more miles to give. When we started it, I always put the cruise control on to bring up the air bags as well as warm it up. I was told doing this gets the oil circulating faster through the engine. I always accelerated gently and drove easily especially when starting up. Bottom line, I babied it and will definitely do the same with our new Ventana LE. I love the diesel and probably can't justify the added cost other than the ride is wonderful, carrying capacity could be better, and a lot less white knuckle driving especially with the exhaust brake. It will cost more to maintain, but IMHO, worth it. No regrets on owning a diesel. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel