Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2006, 03:21 AM   #1

This weekend we will pick up our "new to us" 2002 KSDP 3669. This will be my first ever experience with a diesel. I have been searching the forum for information and have located information on biocide, anti-freeze and some general helpful tips. If anyone can give me some tips or aim me to any other places for help, please jump in. As usual I respect the information from this forum and look forward to any help you may have.

Jim (KC2JJQ) & Sally
Jimbo8264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2006, 03:21 AM   #2

This weekend we will pick up our "new to us" 2002 KSDP 3669. This will be my first ever experience with a diesel. I have been searching the forum for information and have located information on biocide, anti-freeze and some general helpful tips. If anyone can give me some tips or aim me to any other places for help, please jump in. As usual I respect the information from this forum and look forward to any help you may have.

Jim (KC2JJQ) & Sally
Old 09-06-2006, 03:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

For fuel conditioners and engine coolants you can check out the following link in the RV Tech Library which applies to virtually any brand of diesel engine. There are links to quite a few things of interest on that page.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:30 AM   #4

LA Gulf Coast Campers
One of the best tips given me is to purchase fuel at a location that pumps a lot of fuel.

Also, keep the tank full, especially if you have any humidity in your area.

Walt
Old 09-07-2006, 07:06 AM   #5

Jim,

Congratulations on the "new" motorhome! I have an 03 KSDP and love it.

Are you looking for maintenance information, driveability, or everything?

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:54 AM   #6

Ed-Deb
looking for Maintenance tips and general TCL needs for diesel.

Jim (KC2JJQ) & Sally
Old 09-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #7

Jim - What engine and chassis do you have?

Joe & Loretta
2006 Phaeton 40QDH
Old 09-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbo8264:
Ed-Deb
looking for Maintenance tips and general TCL needs for diesel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

I have a 99 Dodge 2500 pick-up with the Cummins engine, a Jeep Liberty diesel, and the KSDP with a Cummins engine.

The Dodge has 112k miles and has been in the shop twice: Once for a fuel lift pump and injector pump and the second time because the oil blow-by hose and road dust had caused the radiator fins to clog.

Changing oil and all the filters regularly is the only other maintenance I have performed.

The KSDP I have has an overheat issue (only when pulling long grades and allowing the Allison to decide when to shift) that I believe will be a similiar radiator problem like the Dodge had.

I would suggest a complete service and fluid change plus a safety inspection and then regular maintenance (routine inspections and maintenance as per your chassis / engine / transmission manuals).

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:08 PM   #9

Hi Jim
I have a '02 KSDP #3669!!!! Bought her "new to me" this past spring. I moved up from a small class a gas to this, LOVE IT!!! Mine is a cummins 300hp on a freightliner with 31,000 miles. I've taken a couple of trips with it, I'm getting comfortable w/all the features. I plan to fulltime in the coach starting summer '07. Good luck with your new coach, Kathy
'02 KSDP #3669
Kat31m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hello,Jim and congratulations on your new purchase. A couple of years ago, we were at the same point that you are and would offer you these ides.
1. Read and re-read any manuals that came with your coach. There should be a lot of good maintenance tips. If yours is a Freightliner chassis (as one of the other poster's suggests) Freightliner Custom Chassis is a great source of answers for questions that you have after reading. I suggest paying particular attention to every maintenance routine suggested along with the interval that it is supposed to be performed. Since yours is about the same age as ours was when we purchased it, I would suggest doing every maintenance routine in your manuals that you cannot verify has been previously performed. For example, the dryer on the air brake system is critial to the health of that system. If you cannot prove that it was changed on schedule, I'd recommend doing it immediately. There are a number of posts about the u-joints and spline in the drive train failing so that is other area I'd look to immediately for attention. Some people are under the misunderstanding that these items need be addressed soley on mileage. Every one of them should also have a time interval.
2. I suggest finding and recording the model and serial number of every component and appliance you have. Knowing your engine serial number, for example, will help you make sure that you get the correct parts. When one of our furances failed, I was able to use my model/serial information to quickly obtain the sail switch that I needed for it.
3. If it is possible, try to find out what type of fluid is in your transmission. Mine was regular fluid and I just finished switching to Transynd, the synthetic recommended by Allison. Since I'm doing my own fluid changes, I thought that the $60 per change difference to go to Transynd was well worth it, not only for the longer change intervals but for the improved lubrication and cooler operating temperatures.
4. If possible, find out what make of oil was used in your engine. I called the local Freightliner service center where the previous owner of our coach had taken it for service and was able to get information on that service history. It is better if you can avoid changing brands.
5. You are also coming up on the time to change engine belts. When I tried to do that change myself, I discovered a number of problems with both the configuration for my belts and the actual part number of one of them. I'm glad to have that all worked out and have good, known spares riding in one of my compartments. I also discovered that I needed a couple of special tools to do the belt change and they now ride with me also.

I hope this helps.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote