Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #1

New To Us 2018 CS 3710

Yesterday we picked up the used CS we found at Midway RV in Grand Rapids, MI. It is our 3rd Newmar, but our first class A in 7 years. 10,500 miles. A great floor plan for us, since we never have overnight guests.

The previous owners replaced the sofa with two recliners from Newmar. The dealership had ordered the unit with more features than we would have specified, but all are relatively useful, we think. Heat pumps, fireplace, central vac, insulation package, 4-door refrigerator and a few more.

Now I'm waiting on Bremen Ford in Bremen, IN (a few miles west of Napanee) to give me a quote on a suspension package. The drive from Grand Rapids to Traverse City (actually Empire) re-introduced me to the F53 chassis. I think a couple of upgrades would be helpful.

If anyone is considering a Canyon Star, look at the 3710. Midway RV was great to work with. They provided the entire service history on the unit for our review. One of the benefits of buying used is that the original owner dealt with all the little annoying fixes.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bob,

Congrats on getting your 3710!

I'm sure the guys at Bremen can fix you up!

One more week & we will be at Napanee, to pick up our 3710!

Enjoy it, have fun!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:06 AM   #3

Before shelling out a lot of money on suspension (You may need to anyway) check out the Ford Owners section of the forum. Lots of suggestions and methods to improve the ride. Some are cheap (Cheap Handling Fix), some are free (run with full gas and water), some suggestion talk about getting the unit weighed and adjusting tire pressure according to the tire manufacturers chart.

On mine, I’ve done all the above, but tend to use the placard weight. I did swap out the factory shocks (which are Bilstein on mine) for Bilstein after market ones. The factory shocks are built to Ford specs, after market ones are built to Bilstein specs.

Congrats on your new to you purchase.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats, that is a nice MH. We looked at it a few times, really liked the floor plan and the options the original owner added. As you stated, the recliners were a great upgrade, but we have teenagers that may go with us, so we need a place for them to sleep. It was hard to cross it off the list as it had so much going for it; it was close to having everything we wanted and it was a nice lightly used MH.

Congrats again and I hope you enjoy it!
Old 10-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congrats on your coach and for many items in it you will find info here.
Enjoy and many safe traveling miles.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:28 PM   #6

The quote from Bremen Ford came in at $7,200. Including Sumo springs, two sway bars and a steering stabilizer. More than I want to spend right now. Drive from Michigan to Florida, on mostly back roads hasn’t been terrible. Except Rt 56 from Rising Sun IN, and Rt 421 into KY. Suspension didn’t like the tight, curvy roads. Took three hours to go 100 miles.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #7

The F-53 already has 2 anti sway bars. An aftermarket steering stabilizer is about $300-$400 and can be a installed by anyone who can work a ratchet. $7200 is a lot for Sumo springs and they don't get that many positive reviews anyway. Read the F-53 forum on here as suggested and you'll get some real good ideas for a lot less money.

I have a question about the 3710
I've been told you can't move the driver seat back with the slide in. Is that true?
Old 11-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #8

$7,200 sounds high...maybe its the sway bars.

About June of last year (one month after purchasing new) I had rear track bar, Sumo springs on all fours, and safety-steer installed by La Mesa in Orlando for about $4,200. Each for a specific symptom and each was noticeably improved. Some other minor purchases were included in that.

I had the folks that do our utility truck and heavy equipment maintenance check it later (for alignment) and gave the installation a thumbs up.

Prior to that I weighed it on the CAT scales and adjusted the tire pressures per the Michelin tire charts plus 5%. That was a noticeable improvement right away with a smoother ride.

Check me on this but I believe the F53 2016 or 2018 and later years already have an upgraded front sway bar over previous years.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCook57 View Post
Except Rt 56 from Rising Sun IN, and Rt 421 into KY. Suspension didn’t like the tight, curvy roads. Took three hours to go 100 miles.
If you were on Rt 56 by Rising Sun Indiana - you certainly were on back roads, Indiana.

On our new Canyon Star back in 2017, we had a lot of roll. I installed Sumo Springs Maxims front and rear. It made a world of difference.

They are not cheap and installation is not the easiest but before doing the "whole package", perhaps the Sumos might work.

To save even more, check out iRV2 threads talking about the "Cheap Handling Fix" (CHF).

As much as we enjoy iRV2 in regards to our CS, if you are on Facebook, there is also an exclusive Canyon Star page also.

Good luck,

g
Old 11-05-2019, 04:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
The F-53 already has 2 anti sway bars. An aftermarket steering stabilizer is about $300-$400 and can be a installed by anyone who can work a ratchet. $7200 is a lot for Sumo springs and they don't get that many positive reviews anyway. Read the F-53 forum on here as suggested and you'll get some real good ideas for a lot less money.

I have a question about the 3710
I've been told you can't move the driver seat back with the slide in. Is that true?
My 2020 Canyon Star 3710 has plenty of room for the seat to slide to the rear! Good luck!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:08 AM   #11

My wife and I have been thinking of upgrading from our current PU Tow Vehicle and Jayco TT to a MH... Class A or C is being looked at and we keep coming back to Newmar (in our case the Bay Star 3124).... A friend of ours has a Canyon Star and loves it but we really would iike to stay a little smaller (just the 2 of us) and the Canyon Star I think starts at 36'

We not counting the idea out of upgrading but, first, we have felt that Newmar with it's 22.5" wheels on a 31' coach is GREAT and after owning a Class A on 19.5 wheels and lighter chassis we feel the Newmar to be right on point. (Ive not seen any other 30 - 32' MH Class A on the 22.5" wheels and larger 24,000 lb or 26,000 GVWR chassis.. anyone els know of any?)

The thing that stops me in my tracks is the number of stories of how much work has to be done to make these things drive right you have to spend Thousands to fix them... That is Crazy... Why can't manufactures fix the issues (That Are Well Known and documented) before they leave the factory... Come on now.. having to spend $4 - 7,000 dollars once you buy these things is crazy... You would not accept that when buying a car or Pickup! I am and most folks are not Auto Mechanics... .(although at 14 years old I completely rebuilt my parents Color TV in 1968) To think that one has to take on the Major steps to make a $150,000 motor home right like it suppose to just Chaps my Hide!

It is like the Manufactures have blinders on... they know the issues and have seen years and years of documentation... I'd think that someone like Newmar would sit down with Ford and tell then they need to fix these things before the chassis are delivered to the production floor!

My history is the computer business... we had a company and designed system that sold around the world... we would work with our suppliers to make sure the compo nets worked right the first time.... and had minimal service issues through out the years... These RV manufacturers have for years known the major issue folks have and it starts at the base.... and if the Chassis are not right they need to fix them before they put the house on it!

Sorry for the rant but it is disheartening to hear of all the "Tweaks and Upgrades" that cost at time thousands of dollars to fix things that should have been caught in the design... It just takes the fun out of what should be a much better handing RV!
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:06 PM   #12

Hohenwald 48 - sorry for the late reply. I czn move the seat all the way back, and recline the back to a perfect position, with the slide in. It is the most comfortable driver position I've had in recent coaches. I checked it out before we purchased.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:12 PM   #13

Thanks all for the suggestions. At this moment (might change tomorrow morning!), I'm planning on a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer and a Roadmaster rear track bar.

I'd really like to consider the Sumo springs to stop the body roll, but I'm concerned they may stiffen the ride. Local truck shop here in Ft. Myers will do the Sumo's for $2,600 installed. But, I'll probably wait and try the first two for a year.
Old 11-06-2019, 05:05 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCook57 View Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. At this moment (might change tomorrow morning!), I'm planning on a Safe T Plus steering stabilizer and a Roadmaster rear track bar.

I'd really like to consider the Sumo springs to stop the body roll, but I'm concerned they may stiffen the ride. Local truck shop here in Ft. Myers will do the Sumo's for $2,600 installed. But, I'll probably wait and try the first two for a year.
Good decision, in my view. Drive it, see what works.

The Sumo Springs will help with the roll and I don't believe stiffens the ride.

The change in roll was very noticeable.

When I decided on Sumos - - I bought them on line and took them to my mechanic for installation. Maybe this would save you some money, check with the mechanic and see if this is an option?

To answer the drivers seat/slide question - - - I have a 2017 3953 - YES - it is a problem. The seat does go back but if one is tall or has a large girth, probably not the motor home for them, unfortunately. I have been told this engineering error on Newmar's part was fixed in 2018!!! (Again - I'm a day late and a dollar short!! (LOL)

g