RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 07:11 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
New Ventana 4369 What things should we purchase first?

We are brand new to class A ownership (had a class C years ago when family was young). This beauty is sitting in our driveway and awaiting our first trip. We need advice on what essentials to have on board - what did you find were essential to your early success... or “ oh crap, I wish I had known”???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 07:44 AM   #2

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Congratulations on your new home on the road.

So what did you take when you had your C ?

My wife looks at a new to us Camper as an adventure.

She wants to camp the first few times close to a Kohl's, Tjmax, Wall Mart etc.etc
To fine tune and personalize.

I like a few trips to Lowe's, NAPA or Harbor freight..

Even Meijer stores are great for out fitting.

So we seldom pack anything as each trip is remembered by a shopping experience.

We have a set of boating clothing, shoes on the boat.
Bringing only food down the dock.
We have a set of rv traveling clothing, shoes in the rv.
Bringing only fresh eats along.
No suitcases owned for over 25 years now.
We like it that way.

My wife says, If Wallmart or Meijer or tjmax doesn't have it ????
Amazon Does delivered tomorrow.

Enjoy your new rv.
Safe travels.

HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Read the owner's manuals (for what they're worth), observe weight limits, air compressor, TPMS and proper inflation, RV GPS, tools, a multimeter, and access to this website. The sky's the limit as what else you will want with you given your weight and space limitations...oh yeah and a hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txaggies1983 View Post
We are brand new to class A ownership (had a class C years ago when family was young). This beauty is sitting in our driveway and awaiting our first trip. We need advice on what essentials to have on board - what did you find were essential to your early success... or “ oh crap, I wish I had known”???
Old 11-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #4

Congratulations on your new rig! I love the Ventana!

When we first started out (zero Glamping experience) we filled our Canyon Star with food, beer, paper plates and hit the road.

And our slide out wouldn't retract when we tried to leave. That was our first trip!

We learned that a set of tools on board is critical.

We have everything now in the tool bin we have at the S&B, probably more to be safe.

We also put on Snap Pads; those are the jack pads that give a better foot print and add stability when leveling. They really make a difference!

Enjoy the new MH and safe travels!
Old 11-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #5

Go camping in your driveway or at the closest campground to home. Add stuff as you need it by running home or to the store. After a few trips you should be set.

Then you'll just need to figure-out your basic tool kit, and safety items. Like another fire extinguisher or two, add some networked fire detectors to the battery bay / inverter bay, and other end of coach. Road hazard markers. Extra fluids.

If you don't have one, get a decent volt/ohm meter and learn how to use. I think this one of the most useful tools I carry.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and your new adventure, The Hales
Congrats on your new coach I know its new but to keep it that way and operate everything correctly you should read this sticky thread which has what can go wrong with it, if you do not know how it works.
If that is not enough the links below in my signature will help also.
Enjoy your coach and safe travels after loaded and weight and proper tire pressures, with info in the links.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #7

Things to purchase

My first two items were an adjustable water regulator and a Progressive EMS to keep the incoming electric in line. Progressive has replaced mine twice at no charge after the units sacrificed themselves during storms.
Enjoy the adventure.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Agree with the Progressive EMS and water pressure regulator, they were my first purchases. Make sure you get a highly recommended pressure regulator like the Renator. I opted for a cheaper one at first and found it reduced water flow too much.

Along with the tools, a ladder something to keep the windshield clean always helps.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System
truck type air pressure gauge, if not using TPMS

Good stinky slinky and extension
Drinking hose extension

Watts 50psi water pressure regulator

Progressive Industries Surge Protector

Extra hose for black tank flush

Extendable pole and pad for windshield cleaning
Glass cleaning products

Aerospace protectant for cleaning diamond shield on front of coach

Valterra clear 90 degree connector to align hose with dump connector.

Hand sanitizer and disposable surgical gloves

Induction ready Pots and pans if Induction stove equipped

Broom

Linens

A few jack pads to help when parked on soft ground or uneven terrain

Ladder

Garmin RV GPS...nice addition to the dash unit.

Male to male coupler for air connection up front (in case you have to be towed...the trucks air will supply your rig so that the park brake can be released for towing)

You will find many other good items to add...tools, spare parts, extension cords, first aid kit, bug repellent, sun screen, towing equipment, door mats, sunscreens, grill, black stone, portable pizza oven, espresso machine, frozen concoction maker, chairs, umbrellas, and rain gear... It takes time to see what needs you have and to find the right item for your rig.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome Aboard !

Zero gravity chairs, bug spay, mat for entry steps and outdoor mat to place your chairs. small folding table .
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #11

The most important things to have with you?
A sense of humor, and a credit card!

And don't forget the wife!
(the photo below is the exit sign at an RV park)

Seriously:
Make your first "trip" a week-long one parked in your own driveway. This makes it easy if you forget something like toilet paper. Make multiple lists: first is what you must have, second is what would be nice to have, third is what you brought and never used (and can leave behind).

Do the same thing on a second trip where you hopscotch across several locations, maybe the closest RV park and in the parking lots of several of the local city or county parks. Spend one night in a WalMart lot. This trip gives you practice driving your monster and parking it, setting up camp, breaking it down, etc. Try to not go home on this trip... Pretend that the house cannot be occupied and make do with what you have with you.

Those two excursions will help you learn what you need, and what you can leave behind. I discovered that my AC cord was intermittent at the plug end (the next morning I cut off 6 inches of cord and attached a replacement plug bought at the RV store)... that the electric pedestal at the park had a 50 amp,a 30 amp and a duplex 15/20 amp outlet... I now pack a 10ga extension cord that plugs into the 15/20 amp outlet)...

I also found out something totally unexpected... the window screens in the bedroom, and the ceiling fan screen in the toilet / shower area needed to be upgraded to a mosquito-grade mesh size... and that I needed a bug-zapper.

An acquaintance lost his MH to a refrigerator fire. He and I have a fire extinguisher by the curb door, AND one in the bedroom! He jokes that as a last resort he can bust out a window with the steel housing of the extinguisher.

I endorse the comments about an RV-oriented GPS unit. The RV ones not only "know" about bridge height/clearance, but they also (hopefully) won't navigate you down a dead end road.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-funny-park-sign.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	267375  
Old 11-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #12
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Started to write but C.Martin hit almost everything, good job. If I only had one thing from his list I could take, it would be TPMS.

What you take depends on how you are using your coach.

We are out now months at a time. Some of the unique items we have now are: the breville mini pro oven. Unless you have a GE microwave your DW will not be able to bake those items that make her happy : a on the go water softener (we travel out west): a green mountain Davy Crockett smoker: a good electric skillet (easy to cook and keep clean): oh and #1 item... lots of paper towels, they keep lots of nasties out of your gray tank .
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
3M VHB tape
AA batteries
zip ties - several sizes
A couple extra coffee cups you don't care about
Full size coffee maker
Ice trays if you don't have an ice maker
Pair of FRS radios (or two pair is even better)
Long handled windshield brush
Step ladder as mentioned
First aid kit
Portable cordless vacuum.
Foot stool (in case your steps are too high after leveling)
Extra 50’ garden w/nozzle
14ga Extension cord
Keep a cap with a visor handy for the driver - sometimes the visors in a class A just aren't enough
Work gloves and coveralls
If you don't have them, inner dual valve stem extensions are handy but a get good quality set
Portable water filter if you don't have a “whole system” one

Take what ever tools you are comfortable using that you could anticipate needing and take the good ones. On the road is no place to be limited by cheap tools but you also don't want to over-do the tool thing. You shouldn't need much. I also like to have a rake, shovel and outdoor broom handy
Old 11-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #14

There are three things I consider "must haves" for any RV:

1. TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system). Load that coach, run it across a scale, and properly inflate your tires.
2. Progressive Industries or similar. Don't want to get a bad pedestal at your first CG and fry half your appliances first time out.
3. Water regulator.

Congrats on your new RV. Let the good times begin!

FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, vent, ventana