RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
New washer/dryer in 2018 Newmars?

I have seen a couple of references to Newmar using a new washer/dryer setup in 2018 models. Still Whirlpool, I'm guessing. If true, hopefully this will improve the reliability over previous versions; especially the door switch issue.

Anyone have any first-hand experience yet with the new w/d? We are on the verge of ordering a new Mountain Aire 4047 and trying to decide whether to take a chance on the "new" w/d units, or to order without a w/d and have another brand installed aftermarket.

All advice gratefully received.

TJ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #2

'16 38' Ventana here: most everyone we've met has has issues w/the Whirlpool washer. Luckily ours has been humming along without any issues since day one. We wash clothes every other day.

TRGarringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:06 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We have the new Whirlpools and have used for 4 months. We like them. Hopefully they will be reliable. One interesting feature is the washer only has a cold water inlet. It heats its own water.

Randy, Donald and Zoe (Rat Terrier)
2018 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 K2/2016 Jeep Cherokee High Country
Desertboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:42 AM   #4

We've had ours for a couple months now and no issues yet. With 4 kids, we've done A LOT of laundry so far. Hoping for continued reliability.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Had my 2017 since June, no issues yet. Just weird sequence still working to figure out.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - Four months of fulltiming and no issues. So far we like it better than the Splenide.

Tom
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:35 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The Whirlpool washer model was changed in 2018. The top one was used through 2017. The one with the black panel superseded it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whirlpool 2017.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	188882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Whirlpool 2018.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	188883  

Old 01-15-2018, 11:37 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the new washer with the black panel in a 2018 Dutch Star. Tried it for the first time on a recent trip. When it went into the spin mode the washer shook violently as if it were out of balance. Felt like someone took a jackhammer to the coach. The whole coach vibrated like crazy. Was afraid the wooden support across the top of the dryer which braces the two units was going to rip the closet walls apart.

Didn't want to try it again. Washed the remaining clothes in the park's machines.

My first experience with a front loader. Wondering what can be done to minimize the shaking. Can't recommend it if it's going to do that every time.
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertboyz View Post
We have the new Whirlpools and have used for 4 months. We like them. Hopefully they will be reliable. One interesting feature is the washer only has a cold water inlet. It heats its own water.
Am I correct in remembering that Newmar is still plumbing a hot and cold line behind the washer, so people need to be careful when winterizing to make sure they don't miss the hot line not used with that washer?
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahai View Post
I have the new washer with the black panel in a 2018 Dutch Star. Tried it for the first time on a recent trip. When it went into the spin mode the washer shook violently as if it were out of balance. Felt like someone took a jackhammer to the coach. The whole coach vibrated like crazy. Was afraid the wooden support across the top of the dryer which braces the two units was going to rip the closet walls apart.

Didn't want to try it again. Washed the remaining clothes in the park's machines.

My first experience with a front loader. Wondering what can be done to minimize the shaking. Can't recommend it if it's going to do that every time.

There is another thread here where the owner has a similar issue. What they finally figured out was that the shipping bolts hadn't been removed. You might try doing a search.
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:28 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
New washer/dryer in 2018 Newmars?

Quote:
Felt like someone took a jackhammer to the coach. The whole coach vibrated like crazy. Was afraid the wooden support across the top of the dryer which braces the two units was going to rip the closet walls apart.

I had the same problem last month at FPU. The tech made some adjustments but it only improved things slightly. Iím not sure the shipping bolts are still installed as another poster had suggested as I think the tech would have found that out during his troubleshooting. Iíll be checking tomorrow nonetheless. It sure seems like the washing unit is out of balance.
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #12

New Whirlpool washer

I have the new washer. When the dealer could not duplicate the problem, door switch, I called Whirlpool and was told they no longer made that switch. They offered the new model washer to replace mine at no charge. J B Hunt delivered and installed it. The only problem is the washer is a very tight fit in the drain pan it sits in.
As far as the spin cycle, you can select the speed you want. On it's highest speed, it does shake enough to feel throughout the coach.
Depending on how heavy the clothes are in the washer does have an effect on the shaking.
Be safe
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
There is another thread here where the owner has a similar issue. What they finally figured out was that the shipping bolts hadn't been removed. You might try doing a search.
jt
Thanks for the tip. I read that thread. If the shipping bolts are still installed the drum shouldn't turn at all, right? Mine washes fine and spins. It's the hard spinning that's the problem.

Next time I'll slow down the spin speed and see how it goes.
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Am I correct in remembering that Newmar is still plumbing a hot and cold line behind the washer, so people need to be careful when winterizing to make sure they don't miss the hot line not used with that washer?
Yes, plumbed for hot and cold.

Tags
newmar