Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome, and wish you many good years in the new coach!

We fulltime and sometimes workamp, and a few times we have been parked for 3-5 months continuously plugged in with jacks down. I don't see a great deal of difference between that and your driveway. No adverse effects.

Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I would put something on the concrete to keep the rubber off of the concrete. Concrete and rubber have a chemical reaction to the detriment of the tires.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I would put something on the concrete to keep the rubber off of the concrete. Concrete and rubber have a chemical reaction to the detriment of the tires.
I remember that from years gone by, but I thought it was an old wives tale. Would something like a rubber bath mat work?
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
All good tips for you by others, the tires can set on plywood sheets under them or some plastic cutting boards found in Sam's that the tire foot print will be separated from the concrete.
In my signature below you will find QT's links that will cover many items in your Newmar.
Enjoy the forums and welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
I remember that from years gone by, but I thought it was an old wives tale. Would something like a rubber bath mat work?

I cannot say for sure but I think it would help.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:44 AM   #21

007, thanks for the links. I've bookmarked them and will get to read them as soon as I finish the back yard modifications required to make a home for the coach. Right now it looks like we've been testing explosives back there, but it's coming along...

Old 10-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I agree that these RV's are designed for full timing and CAN sit with their jacks down and slide toppers out, but those same full timers will be replacing those slide toppers far more frequently than one that is not EXPOSED 24/7. That's just common sense. Same with the people that can store their RV's in a garage. Their paint and other items will certainly last longer.

I use truck mud flaps under my tires when parked at home. If you go to a truck supply store, you can buy mud flaps pretty cheap I use a full flap under the duals and a one cut into two pieces under the front tires. Dirt or concrete will leech water out of your tires prematurely.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #23

Thanks Don for the explanation and solution. Plywood would last maybe a month down here with the amount of rain we get.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Speaking of rain...I've had significant pooling of water on a couple of slide toppers that tends to stretch the fabric. If you choose to leave the slides out, it might be good to pull them in after it rains to dump the collected rain. Alternatively, I've seen people who place an inflated beach ball on top of their slide, under the awning fabric to prevent the pooling. Just remember to remove the beach ball before you retract the slide.

Take care,
Stu
Old 10-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Good Luck with your BayStar. Nice unit. Enjoy it in good health.
Before our Class A we too had a Class C. We were fortunate to be able to park it inside when we lived in the snowbelt. When we moved to FL we bought a cover for it because of the sun and having to park it outside. I firmly believe the cover was a good thing BUT it was a PI the A if you catch my drift. Not sure I'd do it again but the sun can be pretty tough on roofs down here. It just wasn't very easy to get it on and off the RV.
We are fortunate now to be able to park the Class A in a fully enclosed building. While we can leave the slides out we choose not to most of the time. With yours being stored outside I don't think I'd be inclined to leave them out more than is necessary for all of the reasons stated by others. As for the levelers I believe that the cylinders on both the Baystar and Canyon Star use a system that does not have retraction springs. It was explained to me that ours is a positive hydraulic flow for both the extension and retraction process. You may want to check yours but if it doesn't have springs then there is no issue about stretching them too much. I do support the idea of wiping them down whenever they have been out for any extended period. A good silicone spray followed by a "wipe down" to remove excess silicone seems to work fairly well.
Again, best of luck.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:39 AM   #26

Thanks again all for the comments and suggestions. We are about to head out on the maiden voyage for a couple nights stay only about an hour away from home base. I've never had the luxury of automatic levelers (always had to pull up on blocks several times till level) so this should be a lot easier. Think I'm getting spoiled already!
Old 10-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you do not have a level pad, like at home, you should level manually as you always have.
AUTO may keep seeking level and you do not wany to twist the chassis.
Use pressure treated plywood under tires or plastic cutting boards found in Sam's Club.
Have a safe trip and enjoy your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote