Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #1

Talking New with a couple of questions

Hello from sunny (rainy) Florida! My wife and I started out with a very small pull behind we called our "cramper" because we couldn't pass each other inside. Then graduated to a class C Jayco which was used and abused so it required a lot of work on my part to get it livable. Used it for around 6 years, then made the step up to a 14 Newmar Baystar 3103. Planning on using it next weekend on a short trip to test it out. We love the new coach, but I have a couple of questions for the seasoned here.
1. Is it detrimental to leave the coach on the leveling system in the back yard? (I have a 42' concrete pad that it sits on and it's plugged in to a 50 amp service 24/7) Didn't know if the pistons would have a problem being exposed for any length of time.
2. Is there a problem with leaving the slides out for long periods of time? (It has the over slide awnings)

I am also considering a full cover to protect the roof and paint from this unrelenting sun. Any and all observations are appreciated! Thanks, Jim.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. No reason to have jacks extended, especially on a concrete pad. Don't see any problem leaving slides out... Congrats on the new coach.....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I leave my coach slides fully extended with jacks down so the coach is solid on the ground plus it requires a slight bit of leveling to be just right. It's that way between trips and I spray a little silicon on the jacks and wipe it off just prior to raising them. Keeps them sliding up nicely. I've not read of any detriment in leaving the coach this way for stretches of time.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Congrats on the new rig. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #5

Welcome to the Forum and we hope you have many great camping adventures. I agree with what Carl stated in his reply. You might also want to cycle the levelers every so often - maybe once a month but clean the extended poles first. Best of luck.

Happy RV'ing
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #6

Welcome to iRV2.

I leave the levelers down, so the sat. finder will work, so I can have television when working on the coach , but always clean the shafts before retracting. Clean them anytime they're extended for more that a week.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Enjoy your new coach.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I look at it differently. When I'm at home (coach parked alongside the house), I leave it plugged in, but everything else is closed and the jacks are up. I also cover the furniture with old bed sheets. I just don't like the unnecessary wear and tear on the jack shafts and the exposure to sun on the slide toppers. You also can get birds/bugs nesting under the toppers.

A day before a trip, I turn the sat on and let the DirecTV box catch up with updates and programming.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #9

Thanks for all the welcomes and opinions! I am in a few other forums related to guitars, motorcycles, etc... and have found them to be a wealth of information. I see you have the same support system here, and I am grateful for all the help I can get. This is my first class A, and I appreciate ya'll helping a newbe.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I'm with Don on the jacks up, slides in, and plugged in 24/7. Just makes sense that if those return springs are extended all the time it would shorten their life..at least weaken them.
Angler3041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #11

I was thinking about the return springs also. I really don't think the coach will sit for more than a few weeks at a time before we use it again. Since the wife is still working, we only take short hops for a couple of days at a time, but we try to make it once a month or so.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #12

I think also jacks up and slides in until ready to go. I use corrosion X on jack slides, about every 4-6 cycles. I wipe them clean and apply!
wracinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
I like to keep my slides in during storage - the slide out awning will wear out fast enough. Concerning jacks, I just want to pass along a tip from a full timer friend. Whenever his jacks have been extended for an extended time, he wipes them down before bringing them up. I do it now with a little bit of jack fluid on a paper towel especially if I've been sitting on the outer banks with blowing sand all week.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
If you couldn't do the things you asked about, then your coach wouldn't be useable for full timing. I'm pretty sure Newmar didn't build a coach like that unsuitable for full time use.
Dick