RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #1

Newbie Questions

Hi,
Recently purchased a 99 DutchStar M-3884 and have a few questions regarding operation:
1. Can both Air Conditioners be run from the generator (Onan 7.5)? I thought that we had done this when I checked out the units but now I can't seem to get the front unit (zone 1) to blow cold air. Is there some type of fuse/switch that I may have missed?
2. When I switch the battery to store, I hear a series of 3 beeps coming from the speaker just to the right of the monitor panel, any idea what this is?
3. Is there supposed to be a check valve in the city water connection? Unless I keep a plug installed in the connection, water comes out when the pump runs. I verified that the valve is "off" (not in fill).
Thanks in advance, and I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as time goes on.
- Phil

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Phil, welcome to iRV2.

1. Yes. The 7.5 will run both AC's. There is a circuit breaker for the AC. Does it run OK on shore power?

2. Sorry, can't help with this as I've never tried it.

3. Yes. There should be a check valve there.

Ask away. That's what we're here for.

Well................that's one of the reasons.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #3

Haven't hooked to shore power. It's currently in my driveway. Would there be separate breakers (or fuses) for the AC units? My wife swears that it worked when we purchased it. We bought is from a private individual (actually his grandson) and it has been in storage for the most of the last 2 years so I'm spiffying it up. This is also our first RV so basically we don't have a clue what we've gotten into, but that's what makes it exciting.
Where would the check valve for the city water connection be located? I've looked behind the panel and don't see anything other than clear piping with "crimp" connections and one short piece of black plastic that is the back side of the hose connection.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the Newmar forum & irv2 prpickett.
1.Your AC's will work from load center off each of their circuit breakers. There will be a 2 min delay before the compressor will kick in during operation.

3. Your water inlet hose connection will have a spring device that may have some dirt caught around the rubber O ring. With your pump running push a pencil rubber tip against the pin point of valve so water will push out what ever may be stopping the valve to close against the O ring. Be gentle when pushing pin do not want to brake spring. Try not to get wet.

2. I believe the beeps are to indicate what you just did,you may get a voice warning when you move slides also.

Congrats on your Newmar many safe and happy miles.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #5

Took a look at the hose connections, just an open plastic pipe (same for the black tank washout connection). Maybe the previous owner removed some innards. I'll try to get to CW tomorrow for replacement. For the AC, since the fan works in both fan only mode and AC mode, does that mean that it's not an electrical power issue (breaker or fuse) and that it is a problem with the actual AC unit? If so, any troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm also having issues with the LR HWH jack not retracting all the way (only about an inch off the ground). I checked previous posts and the recommendations ranged from wiping with lube, making sure that hyd fluid was adequate, and possibly replacing springs. Does that pretty much cover the options?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes on jacks, fill reserve tank with all jacks up. May have to use 6 ton jack to raise coach near that jack and place blocks of wood under jack and keep dropping coach to force jack up.
LUBE JACK SHAFT with some silicone spray wipe shaft before apply it case there is dirt on shaft.

DO you hear compressor coming on with your thermostat set on 65 say? There will be a delay of about 2 min before it kicks in and your control has to be set to cool.
Power to AC is ok right now if your not getting compressor may need start coil in AC unit.
Lets just check everything first.

The water line feed needs the check valve you could check tank clean out may have one there.
And yes make sure your connecting to correct water inlet and not the tank flush.
Had a Newbie recently brake a elbow feed on water line feed to tank flush because of to much pressure.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You could try a water pressure regulator in your water line feed which may stop water from feeding back when using pump.

Are you at a campground with 50 amp service or are you using your Generator for AC's while testing.

Was looking at copy of your MH the toilet was on a raised platform which may indicate a offset pipe into your holding tank, no problem with that just make sure you use plenty of water when flushing toilet.
If not pipe could plug and you will need a snake to free blockage in pipe to black tank.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #8

I'm at my house. We're hoping to take our maiden voyage within the next week or two (probably won't go too far the first time). I'm basically going through all of the controls, etc... in the driveway. I also want to change out the oil on the gen. and engine. Do you know of a good source for oil filters?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should have your maiden campout in your driveway at home for testing all operations of your coach than when you do go camping you will have a enjoyable free time for yourselves.

NAPA will have filters you may need.

If you want to test the AC's ,run GEN, will run both just have Gen run a bit before placing on load.
A electric cord to house 110 outlet will check converter, operate all 12v controls,lights and get your refridge cold enough so your food won't spoil.
Fridge needs 10 to12 hours to cool,12v operates control board and gas valves for LP operation while traveling.
PLACE control on face of fridge on AUTO. When power is off will switch over to LP gas and USE 12V OFF HOUSE BATTERIES for controls.
Furnace also runs on 12v controls plus fan. Same furnace will heat water compartments below during cold weather.
Gen needs 12v from house batteries to start, converter will charge your house batts and the engine alternator will charge house batts while traveling.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should have your coach plug into 110 for testing your house operations on coach.
GFI's may have to be checked out , load center for 110 outlets,charging on batteries before trip, test the furnace, lp detector, fridge controls and electric operation.
JUST MAKES IT EASY WHEN AT HOME.

You can even camp in your driveway and check things out, its late will follow up in AM.

ONE thing we haven't discussed is the water heater until you have placed water in heater DO NOT turn on electric switch to the WH if you do you will burn out electric heater element.
Once you have water in place can test it on LP gas & electric.
May have to discuss water bypass valves for WH if they have been left in bypass mode from winter drainage.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:46 AM   #11

Re: AC - pulled the cover off and verified no loose wires/connections. Looks remarkably clean inside considering age. Started gen and turned on only zone 1 to cool at 65 degrees. Blower works but do not hear anything that suggests compressor is trying to come on. Tried light "mechanical agitation" since that sometimes works and always makes you feel a little bit better. No joy. On a separate note, topped off HWH jacks and wiped with silicone and they work much better now.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wouldn't worry about AC when your on the road run AC with Gen operating and the vibrations while traveling may shake up insides of cooling unit for AC to correct itself.
Did you try rear AC and see if that works ok.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #13

Yep, rear AC works great, blows nice and cold from kitchen to bedroom. I really appreciate all the advice and although wife thinks I'm nuts for buying the RV without a warranty, I'm confident that it is still a good deal even if I have to put in a little money and elbow grease. Don't tell her, but tinkering with it is one of my favorite parts.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well when you have gone thru 3 Newmars and many other SOB's plus trailers I'll hand over my job you will have all the answers.
No problem with the help we probably have some watches learning also.
Have to leave for awhile have to clean my MH popped the windshields in Ohio return trip they popped back in place and reset just have to clean up some old rubber sealant.