Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2017, 04:35 PM   #1

Angry Newby Needs Help!

I'm an RV newby with my "new" 1998 Newmar Dutch Star diesel pusher... I know so little I scarcely know where to start. Found out that Camping World won't do oil changes for example. So I contacted (after MUCH trouble) the Cummins dealer in Waco, TX where I live. They want a whopping $800 to change engine oil plus Onan oil! Help! Is $800 normal? I could go on... the owner manuals and documentation tells me nothing about stuff like where the fresh water tank pump switch is located or how to work the Winegard satellite TV system... I thought Camping World would help... but no! I'm also concerned about the air brake system... apparently one is supposed to check for water in the air system often. Ditto with water in fuel... have no idea how to do these things! An invoice from a previous owner shows a huge bill because of water in air system which scares me. Can't find anyone to help me learn... Would like info and help about changing oil for starters... and help in mastering the various systems in the RV.
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to Irv2. I've moved your post here where you'll find many Newmar owners that will assist.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 04:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tommar,
Welcome to the Newmar family and the Newmar Owner's forum. The price you were quoted for the engine/generator oil change is not outrageous. Everything on a diesel is measured in gallons. Then there are 3 filters on the engine (oil, fuel and fuel water separator) and one on the generator. The coach Air Dryer should be replaced every 3 years (sooner if you are in a high humidity climate). That will keep water out of the brake lines. If you do this there is no need to check the brake system for water.

My first question is are you a DIY person or will you pay to have work done? A DIYer on a diesel coach requires the person to be mobile, flexible, strong and dedicated to maintaining the chassis, engine and generator. There is a laundry list of things you should do so you have a baseline from which to base future service.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:07 PM   #4

The oil change sounds like they are in the ballpark assuming diesel generator. More expensive filters plus more oil in a diesel system. OTOH don't change as often as a gas. Some folks claim it balances out, not sure I agree, YMMV. They may also be looking at a chassis lube or some other things while they have it. Depends on the service writer. He might be trying to do you a favor or pad the bill by doing everything he can think of. I lost my mind reader. If you post a detailed estimate folks can tell you more.

The rest of your questions are model and year specific. Please post that information and consider putting it in your signature block. You will probably then find folks with the same or a similar unit who will be willing to share knowledge.

A thought, figure out who made your chassis. If the local cummins dealer services that brand they may know the air system and be able to show you what you need to know. They may be able to show you anyway.

The res
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #5

Look into SpeedCo for diesel oil changes and lubes. About 1/2 the price.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
I'm an RV newby with my "new" 1998 Newmar Dutch Star diesel pusher... I know so little I scarcely know where to start. Found out that Camping World won't do oil changes for example. So I contacted (after MUCH trouble) the Cummins dealer in Waco, TX where I live. They want a whopping $800 to change engine oil plus Onan oil! Help! Is $800 normal? I could go on... the owner manuals and documentation tells me nothing about stuff like where the fresh water tank pump switch is located or how to work the Winegard satellite TV system... I thought Camping World would help... but no! I'm also concerned about the air brake system... apparently one is supposed to check for water in the air system often. Ditto with water in fuel... have no idea how to do these things! An invoice from a previous owner shows a huge bill because of water in air system which scares me. Can't find anyone to help me learn... Would like info and help about changing oil for starters... and help in mastering the various systems in the RV.
i've had 4 diesels with Cummins and I have the same Cummins shop service them all every year and that # is in the ball park...as you stated the previous owner had a whopping bill for air system,it probably was from not changing the filter in the air system...once you find a cummins shop you like stick with them..Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Look into SpeedCo for diesel oil changes and lubes. About 1/2 the price.

SpeedCo was reasonably priced, allowed you into pit to watch and answered all questions. Liked this option.
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:14 PM   #8

I think the lawyers have gotten into this and they don't allow you in the pit any longer!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tommar,
There is one maintenance item that is very important for you to check out. What coolant is in the coach?
1. Green in color. This is the old style coolant and needs the Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA) checked and added as necessary. This is really important. Without the right amount of SCAs in the cooling system the cylinder walls can become pitted. Needs changing every 3 years.

2. Red in color. This is extended life coolant. No SCA needed. Change every 6 years (add an extender after 3 years).
Old 06-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #10

Overwhelmed By The Response!

Wow! What great responses. Speedco is in Dallas area but not Waco... Dallas is about 85 miles north but could be worth the trip. Previous owner says he had oil changed August 2016 and guesses RV has been driven 1k miles since... so can I wait-or not? Planning a 1499 mile trip to Michigan and back later this summer. Tip on coolant was great. Will find out re: green/red coolant. I own a 1998 Newmar Dutch Star, Spartan chassis with Cummins 300 hp engine and Onan diesel 7.5 kw genny. Still don't know location of fresh water pump switch. Looking to replace backup camera . Wondering if existing cables/wires can be used? For sure, I'll check into air system filter! Don't know where to start! Also will ask Cummins about tranny oil and oil analysis
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tommar,
Oil is changed once a year or every 15K miles, which ever comes first. I know it is painful to change the oil annually without clocking 15K miles but it is what it is.

You should be able to use the existing wires for the back-up camera.

Transmission oil should be checked. This is because you do not have a baseline from which to measure. It is an Allison transmission. In addition to the fluid there are two filters. Six years is about the best your going to do for a oil/filter change. Fluid is called Transynd.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Looking at the pictures of the 98 DSDP I can not pick out the water pomp switch. These are places to check:
1. water closet on the wall
2. water closet under the overhead cabinets
3. This should be up front. The panel that contains the tank sensors, battery voltage, inverter (if equipped)
slide switch(s).
4. The wall in the kitchen
5. underneath the overhead cabinets in the kitchen
Old 06-01-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:22 PM   #14

Speedco for all oil and filter changes. Price for oil change, 3 filters, and oil analysis in Feb '17 at Eloy AZ was $320. They also check tires, coolant and differential. They have you monitor the torqueing of oil drain plug. No appointments first come first served. They usually have 3 pits in operation. you can see were you stand by the semi's in line.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote