Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Hate to be the guy to ask, but I'm looking at Newmar down the road.
So, why would someone sell a 6500 mile 2016 with "lots of modifications"?
Yianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yianni View Post
Hate to be the guy to ask, but I'm looking at Newmar down the road.
So, why would someone sell a 6500 mile 2016 with "lots of modifications"?
Probably bought a diesel. When my RV is on a used lot somewhere - someone will ask the same question because I've added a lot to mine. This will be the answer.
RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:52 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Actually they moved here with the RV and decided they'd rather have a 20 acre piece of Texas Hill Country to build a vacation cabin on.

Texas is too hot for camping 6-months of the year and from here it's 500+ miles to leave the state. Nearest cool places are 900 miles away.

They didn't make any mods, they ordered the RV new from a dealer in California before they moved and ticked LOTS of option boxes. It's loaded.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Actually they moved here with the RV and decided they'd rather have a 20 acre piece of Texas Hill Country to build a vacation cabin on.

Texas is too hot for camping 6-months of the year and from here it's 500+ miles to leave the state. Nearest cool places are 900 miles away.

They didn't make any mods, they ordered the RV new from a dealer in California before they moved and ticked LOTS of option boxes. It's loaded.
That's great!
Congratulations on the new Newmar and hope your C sells quickly.
Yianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats! We went through a similar process (Bounder 37, Tiffin 36, Newmar) and fell in love with the CS3953. Not to jinx it, but 2 years, 24000 miles and still smiling.
Once again Congrats and I think you will be happy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #20

That is exciting, and sure sounds like it was meant to be! We love our Baystar, I'm sure you're going to love your Canyon Star
Old 07-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
The one upgrade box the owner did not check... that we wish he had is for a residential fridge. Someone told him that he wouldn't want one of those so it has the 4-door Norcold with icemaker.

We REALLY want a residential fridge. We've had 4-RVs with RV fridges and our current class C has a 4-door RV fridge now.

We plan on switching out the old fridge for a residential model if it's not too huge a process. There is a well-regarded place here in town that does these kinds of swaps. So, once we take possession on Wed we'll do some checking on that.

Other than that the options he did order are: the side view cameras, front TV (4-tvs), Automatic Open Face Satellite Dish, Rayzar Automatic Digital TV Antenna, Blu-Ray players, Sirius radio, Premium Stereo, 7K genset, "wood" floor, outdoor tv/stereo, kitchen window, rear ladder, 1000 watt inverter, washer/dryer, central vac, fireplace, and he had street side window awnings installed, as well.

Also missing is built in Navigation. But that's an easy fix.

We're pretty anxious to get started with it and to make it our own.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #22

We have the residential fridge and love it. We opted for the built in Navigation and used it for a few days only. It was a major disappointment. We now are very satisfied with our Garmin external GPS. DW can reroute on the fly without having to stop the coach. Upgrades are free for life. When it comes time to move on to another device, I won't be constrained by one that fits in the hole.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #23

Double welcome. First to the Newmar family and second to the Canyon Star family. I was looking for 2 years and all but given up on buying used when I found my 2015 Canyon Star in 2016. It had less than 1500 miles and yes many options and saved a ton of money. After a year its still runs and works great. I have put over 7,000 miles on it with only a couple of very minor issues. which were more of me learning about how things work than workmanship. I did have both AC's go. One under warranty one not. But I am glad to own a Newmar the others just werent as nice.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:56 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanslam View Post
I did have both AC's go. One under warranty one not.
Thanks for the welcome. The owner of the CS I'm purchasing told me he had an AC go out and replaced under warranty, too. Is this a common issue with the Canyon Star/Newmar? Should I be worried about the 2nd AC unit, too?

One really nice feature I forgot to mention - the RV has a 5-year Extended Warranty that is supposed to be transferable. In the past I have not purchased an extended warranty, but in this case it's a really important addition that I'm glad to be getting with the RV.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #25

Quote:
The one upgrade box the owner did not check... that we wish he had is for a residential fridge. Someone told him that he wouldn't want one of those so it has the 4-door Norcold with icemaker.

We REALLY want a residential fridge. We've had 4-RVs with RV fridges and our current class C has a 4-door RV fridge now.

We plan on switching out the old fridge for a residential model if it's not too huge a process. There is a well-regarded place here in town that does these kinds of swaps. So, once we take possession on Wed we'll do some checking on that.

Other than that the options he did order are: the side view cameras, front TV (4-tvs), Automatic Open Face Satellite Dish, Rayzar Automatic Digital TV Antenna, Blu-Ray players, Sirius radio, Premium Stereo, 7K genset, "wood" floor, outdoor tv/stereo, kitchen window, rear ladder, 1000 watt inverter, washer/dryer, central vac, fireplace, and he had street side window awnings installed, as well.

Also missing is built in Navigation. But that's an easy fix.

We're pretty anxious to get started with it and to make it our own.
Wow, your CS 3710 is well optioned. We did in fact opt for the residential refrigerator. Our 3513 has the Fridgidare 10cf the same that would have been optioned on the 3710. We like it and Becky has found it has plenty of room and is very efficient with the designated inverter and 2 extra batteries and next to it the pantry offers good storage. She's also a big fan of the washer and dryer and central vac. The night before we break camp Becky runs the washer and dryer, runs the central vac, and dish washer. When we get home no toting dirty clothes or dishes into the house. When she's happy we're all happy. Street side window awnings...umm something to look into. Enjoy.

Harold & Becky
2017 Newmar Canyon Star 3513
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:07 AM   #26

Re: The Residential Fridge, we have one and sometimes think we'd be better off with the double door Norcold. Why? With 4 batteries, we're only good for about 24 hours without 120 power. With 4 batteries and he Norcold, probably more like 3-4 days. At times of the year we don't need AC, with the Norcold we'd be able to opt for non-hookup sites/campgrounds. IF the Norcold works well, I'd think twice before swapping it out . . .
Old 07-15-2017, 04:02 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
I special ordered a 10 cuft refrig with an ice maker for my Bay Star and Newmar installed the Dometic that was the std refrig in the Dutch Star and also the same DS microwave/convection. I boondock 98% of the time and the propane refrig is the best thing for parking 2 weeks in the woods.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. The owner of the CS I'm purchasing told me he had an AC go out and replaced under warranty, too. Is this a common issue with the Canyon Star/Newmar? Should I be worried about the 2nd AC unit, too?

One really nice feature I forgot to mention - the RV has a 5-year Extended Warranty that is supposed to be transferable. In the past I have not purchased an extended warranty, but in this case it's a really important addition that I'm glad to be getting with the RV.
From what i researched there was a bad batch of AC's from China in 2015. One Newmar owner on this site replaced both of his 3 times. That is right 6 bad ACs. The issue appears that they are not fixable, just throw away units. Hopefully not but is you have a warranty you should be good. BTW the manufacturer warranty is not transferable. Ask me how I know...

Tags
newmar