Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2017, 09:19 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Newer used Bay Star advice

Starting the process of going from Ram diesel to a Bay Star / Jeep combo. More room for the big dogs and a jeep for the trails. I'll miss the power going up the grades and 12MPG and the 7 MPG when towing will be one negative but the maintenance of a diesel and the new smog is a drag. Looking at <32 ft, as new as possible and 50-70K$. So far the 2903 looks good. Used for vacations of 1 week to 2 months in the southwest and pacific northwest. Any advice, ups and downs will be appreciated.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 03:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We bought our BS used and we have been very happy with it. Newmar makes a good product.

Since RVing is about the lifestyle, you will soon forget the pain at the pump 7mpg gives you.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
We bought our BS used and we have been very happy with it. Newmar makes a good product.

Since RVing is about the lifestyle, you will soon forget the pain at the pump 7mpg gives you.
Ditto
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Best of luck finding what you want,

We found that our Baystar rides well on the 22.5 inch wheel/tires as opposed to our former, smaller unit on 19.5 inch wheel/tires. The larger gas units with the greater capacity chassis ride more controlled than the lighter units. All get about the same gas mileage 6 to 7 mpg.

Have fun and remember all the fun is getting there!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #5

Just got home from a weekend trip in our 2903. So easy just to get in it and go for the weekend.
WhatsHisName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you find a Bay Star with 19.5" wheels they are more maneuverable with a 50 degree wheel cut versus 42 degree for the 22.5" wheels. But, you want one with the heavier 20.5K chassis versus the 18K standard which was an upgrade a few years ago. In 2011 Newmar was building 3 RVs a day vs the 9+ today and their best people were still employed vs laid off.

My RV (in the signature below) had all the options and 8 special orders and with the heaver chassis had a NCCC of 3,463 and 5,500 for towing and is within Ford's specs for the vehicle. The newest Bay Stars have become heaver and the towing is 4K with 4-2K for NCCC depending on length and floorplan.

They kind of ride the Bay Star will give can be improved with money, people have different budgets and acceptance of ride quality.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:32 AM   #7

We have the 2014 Bay Star 3103. It is actually 30' 11" and sits on the 20,500 chassis with 19.5" tires. It has about 8K miles on it, has handled well right off the lot. As for a tow car, we use a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is very close to the 5K tow limit. You can tell it's back there, but overall, it's not too bad. If you plan on pulling a regular Cherokee or even a Wrangler, they would be even lighter. With just the wife and I, we have enough room. I have also added the 5Star Tune and done the Cheap Handling Fix (CHF) to the front, just to see what it would do.

My personal opinion, you have chosen a great manufacturer. anything in the < 32' range would be a great choice.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just wondering what other Mfg's you consider up with Newmar Bay Star in the same price range. They all use the same Ford frame and drivetrain. Does Newmar do anything to the suspension to make it ride or handle better?
Old 02-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Just wondering what other Mfg's you consider up with Newmar Bay Star in the same price range. They all use the same Ford frame and drivetrain. Does Newmar do anything to the suspension to make it ride or handle better?
In some cases Newmar does step up to the heavier frame. They also apply some sound proofing in the engine cover area. Two of the main differences that I have found with Newmar are

1) The assembly process. Your Bay Star will go down the same line as a Discovery Star, London Air. They are all constructed the same way. The fixtures are different of course, but they all share the same basic construction process.

2) Customer Service. I don't think you will find a better customer service experience. From a new coach to one that's a few years old. If you call with a problem and they can't diagnose it, they will get you on the phone with tech support for that item. They will stay on the line until your problem is resolved or at lest determined.

I have also never been charged shipping on any replacement parts I have ordered (after warranty expired).

Take a read through the other manufacturer's forums, (Thor, WB, Tiffin to name a couple), and see what other people are saying. The good and bad.

For us, it was a lucky choice. I had looked at multiple manufacturers and done a little research. Newmar just struck me as a definite step up from most of the others (JMHO)
Old 02-21-2017, 03:12 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2015 BS 3401 and pull Jeep Wrangler . No issues in the mountains this past fall. Find a low mile used one, bugs will be worked out of it
bevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo7 View Post
Find a low mile used one, bugs will be worked out of it
Agree IF it is only a year or two old. Low mileage older RVs are not necessarily a good risk. Systems in the house side that sit idle too long tend to develop gremlins...
Old 02-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, I have a buyer for the Ram if I need him, (son). Then it would just be the TT. Getting the Jeep is easy as there are bunches of them. The Issue I have is finding a deal on a real nice Bay Star. 32 ft or less. I have no issues with the setup I have but want to do the MH thing before I hang it up. So this B Star will have to be is as there is no way to go back or suck up the loss. I do a summer trip from So Cal to the Pacific Northwest in the summer and need something that will make it easy. My Ram never slows down on a grade. That will take some getting used to. Are my feet getting cold? Possibly. I need to go look at some nice used B Stars if I can find any.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Well, I have a buyer for the Ram if I need him, (son). Then it would just be the TT. Getting the Jeep is easy as there are bunches of them. The Issue I have is finding a deal on a real nice Bay Star. 32 ft or less. I have no issues with the setup I have but want to do the MH thing before I hang it up. So this B Star will have to be is as there is no way to go back or suck up the loss. I do a summer trip from So Cal to the Pacific Northwest in the summer and need something that will make it easy. My Ram never slows down on a grade. That will take some getting used to. Are my feet getting cold? Possibly. I need to go look at some nice used B Stars if I can find any.
You may want to rent a class a for a week and see if the difference (class A .vs. Trailer) is what you're looking for. That would also give you an opportunity to see what it is that you like, and don't. After spending some time in ours, there are a couple things I would change. It gives you a better idea of what to look for. For me, the key was research. I wanted to make sure that when I pulled the trigger, I was making the right decision.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have several friend that have A's and have spoke with and been in their MH. been to many shows, mostly the Pomona show every day. I have driven vehicles bigger and longer than a A can be. Try a line truck towing a 60 ft pole. I have mechanical ability and will easily do my own service work. I know what floor plans will work for me. Plush white leather and wood floors is not for me. I just need to decide this is what I need to do. The money thing of a A has me wondering some. I lost a tire on the TT last trip, tread separation on a Marathon, no air loss, found it in camp. So today I get 4 new Maxxis E's for $525 on sale. MH tires will not come that easy. Any way,, while I fret this most of the world is looking for clean water to drink. I am blessed and Life is good.

Tags
advice