Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Newmar 1996 Kountry Star

Well I have found a 1996 34ft with 36000km about 25000 miles for sale it is in need of 8 new tires some water stains near the front of the couch but we have had a lot of rain here in the last few weeks and it looks dry inside the water stains may have been from ice dams on the roof ,its was a bad winter here lots of snow and ice storms so I think the roof is not all that bad it has a 6500 watt generator with only 95 hours
I have found on 4 ford 10 bolt rims 235 /85 R16 tires on the net 2.5 years old from a ford 350 any one know if these will fit
And of course there are no manuals for the coach the seller is willing to take a reduced price as its been for sale for a few years now oh a local tire dealer has Goodyear SRA tires on for $175 each plus $27 to mount and balance

Any one care to jump in with there thought's of buying this Newmar

I'm in Eastern Ontario Canada btw
BellevilleRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevilleRv View Post
Well I have found a 1996 34ft with 36000km about 25000 miles for sale
-the water stains may have been from ice dams on the roof
-it has a 6500 watt generator with only 95 hours
-a local tire dealer has Goodyear SRA tires on for $175 each plus $27 to mount and balance.
BellevilleRv
I have a 3 comments:
1.) Ice dams seldom occur on a RV, (or a house), that's not heated in the winter.
2.) If it hasbeen exercised properly,a18 year old generator will have nearly 200 hours.
3.) If you buy new tires you will know that they have no hidden damage from hitting curbs, potholes, etc.
Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your tires maybe 19" on a Ford chassis.
You need to look at roof seams where front and rear caps connect to the roof and the roof is a rubber roof and if not taken care of the rubber may have become porous allowing water to penetrate the roof. Here's info on roofs.
Here is a post for 1996 KSCA.
More on roofs can be found in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the link to the Kountry Star manual it does seem to deal more with a 5th wheel trailer does anyone know if the wiring is close to the Motorhome and the tires for sure are 16 inch 235/85 with tri axle setup on a 34 ft coach
Does anyone know how to release the spare tire carrier the entire rear bumper moves out as I haven't had a chance to read through the entire manual link
Old 06-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There should be a latch in one of the rear compartments, driver side I think mine was, the Owners guide will cover the KS for now until we can get back on COM_NET.
If you look through the QT's links below in my signature you will find info about wiring, battery systems old and new and many more items to cover your coach.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #6

Im going back to see the KS today and perhaps make an offer and have a good look over it he is willing to take 7,500 for right now but ill see if I can work on price a bit more its parked a heavy truck repair shop currently and I'll get the repair shop to do a Safety Inspection required here to re-plate it for the road

Craig
Old 06-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #7

I went back to the Kountry Star and had a better look at it and walked on the roof and stopped at the A.C. as there was a bump /bubble in the roofing what I felt as I touched it was the plywood paneling had delaminated and lifted likely 2 inches and it went across a 4 ft area or more so a new roof membrane is needed plus at least 2 sheets of plywood from what I could tell how tough a job is this and can it be done at home and how much would a local dealer charge for this type of repair What does Newmar use to build the roof deck is it 1/4 ply and what type if anyone knows

Jump in any one thanks
Old 06-22-2014, 11:48 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you look in the QT's link 1 & 2 there are three links plus the one you have showing how the roof can be done by yourself of some Mfg.
If your near Newmar they can do it.
Look at last page of this Brochure on how roof is built, all coach's are similar through Newmar product line.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #9

I did make the seller a very low offer but I will see what he says he was willing to sell at 7,500 for the coach
But after checking with a RV dealer a new roof was around 4,500 dollar range and that seems about right from what I have read on here on a new EDPM installed membrane .I do think I will attempt the roof repair myself so that may be around a 1000 dollars by the time its complete and with a lot of spare time
Old 06-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
With patience and skill, you could do the roof. It would help to have a good friend once in a while as well as some scaffolding.

Tags
newmar