Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar 2006 Mountain Aire Diesel

Oh boy, do I need some advice. I am a first time motor home purchaser. I have been a 20+ year boater of many different types, but we are tired of boating and very close to retirement. I have been researching and have decided upon a diesel pusher. Mostly because we will retire out west in Colorado and I am concerned about a gassers ability to manage the mountains. I have been looking all over 2 states and Newmar is clearly at the top of my list. So today, I stumbled upon a 2006 Mountain Aire, one owner, 19,300 mile coach. 43' long (OMG) with the ISC Cummings 400hp and an Allison 6 speed transmission on a Spartan Chassis for just over $100,000. Excellent condition, a lot of options, one owner, very low miles. It is a little outdated, but I am an accomplished DIY guy.

So, I guess my most pressing question is just a general "older" pusher question. This rig is over 10 years old. Are coaches like homes where at 15 years everything goes to crap??? I'm not worried about appliances and other items I can can change, but rather major mechanical systems.

Any other advice for me? This coach was $336,587 in 2006 and is in amazing condition. A little longer than I was thinking, but I hear there isn't much difference in 6' or so.

I appreciate any advice the knowledgeable folks here can give me to think about. I know these coaches don't last for long. I'm not going to rush, but need the advice before I pull the trigger.
ColoradoBnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
It's not even broke in yet. With a one owner you should get service records which will give you some piece of mind or scare you away. Check tire and battery dates. It should be an excellent coach if all is right and with some updating of electronics. Great motor and transmission combination. Don't expect to get in many national or state parks with the length.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #3

I bought my Newmar Dutch Star 10yrs old with 30K miles and have owned it for nearly 5 years. As long as these Newmar's are maintained, they are good for 200K miles plus. Very well made coaches.

The Spartan chassis, Cummins diesel engines, the Allison transmissions. etc are bullet proof.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We own a '07 Newmar KStar for two years. Things to look for include: Contact Blackstone Labs and get two kits for oil analysis. One for engine, one for tranny. Next, look at date codes on the tires, and small cracks on the side walls. Was it kept in doors or out? Close inspection of the roof! ( we didn't and it cost $7 K for a new roof ). Leveling system...HWH or Atwood. Our Atwood fried a control board last year...no repair or replacement. Had to buy whole new system $ 3.2 K. We had dry rot on the bottom of the kitchen slide, it was hidden. Slide out malfunctioned and popped the reveal $2.7 K. Caused by leaky seal on kitchen sled.

Wish I had hired a well qualified, professional inspector... thought I knew what I was inspecting, this was our fourth coach, second Newmar. It's been a money pit, but we love Newmar, only brand to buy as far as we are concerned. And still have some work to do: Have three foggy side windows, dash a/c quit last fall, like to get new engineered wood floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1412.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	802.9 KB
ID:	161721
Old 05-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mountain Aire

Mileage on a diesel is not a problem, actually this age of coach would be better with more miles on it. You will need to check the tires, if they are older than 6 yrs will need to be replaced most likely. Age is their enemy rather than miles. Might need new batteries also. It sounds like you will be able to take care of the cosmetic issues. Check the service record, diesels like proper maintenance and can deliver several hundred thousand miles with proper care, oil changes and fuel filters.
The Mountain Aire is high on the Newmar lineup, a very good coach. If it has been maintained it should last you many years.
rfsod48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #6

We bought our 01 Mountain Aire last September in Houston, TX and drove it back to Ohio. My wife Uncle owned it for a little less than a year before he found his dream coach and sold it to us. He did not want us on older tires and put 4 new ones on the back and had already replaced the front tires when he bought it. We put all new carpet in it and pulled the desk and magic bed. We have replaced the furniture with Himenia (sp) from Ikea so both of our teenagers have their own space. We did have to put some money into the air sensors. One of the owners prior to the Uncle had an air sensor go bad and they rigged it by jumping the electrical to the good sensor which then never showed full pressure. The sensors are $80 a piece and I have no idea why someone would rig something like they did. We found receipts in the paperwork that show the roof and fuel sending unit were both replaced 2 years ago. We bought a roadside assistance plan and our research says these coaches run a long time as long as you maintain them.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
Don't expect to get in many national or state parks with the length.
I was a little worried about this. I did see a document on how many you can get into based on the length. I will have to look for it again.

So, I am hearing good to go, but I should do the following:
- engine and tranny oil analysis
- tire condition/age
- battery condition/age
- service record delivery
Old 05-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wish I had kept the 2002 DSDP we traded off in 2015 for the present Magna. Would have had a lot more $ in the bank due to the engine repairs, tires, foggy windows replaced etc. The DSDP was still the most dependable rig we ever owned even after 13 years of ownership, plus the late DW liked it better!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #9

Sounds nice. Good advise given so far. Make sure it is a floor plan that works for you. A couple years newer will get you Comfort Drive which those that have it love. Mountain Aire is a nice model.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #10

I would be a little concerned about the low millage, that only comes to less than 1800 miles a year. How many hours on the generator? These things like to be run and will deteriorate just setting. Need to check all maintenance records very closely. Not being used can be a killer. Has it been stored or been sitting for long periods of time?
My big concern would be non use. Check for regular service on the Hydro/Aqui hot unit. Repair or replacement can be very costly.
My '05 Mt. Aire has 111k and is barely broken in.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:10 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
We are going on 18 years old coach and our answer is that if its maintained it will not poop out after 10 years. Our 1999 4080 MADP has fully functioning everything and has been a great first coach for us for the past 7 years and 82,000 total miles (not all our miles) . That's a 40 footer, Cummins, Spartan, Allison etc. Only you can determine if things like length, battery capacity, electronics, engine torque, carry and tow capacity, purchase cost will be adequate for your specific use. On to Newmar, great customer service, great designs and great at their ability to customize a new coach for the buyer. A little pricey if you want to buy repair parts from them vs the work to find other sources but that's business at most places. When we upgrade we will remain in the Newmar family as we are from Michigan but honestly for our travel style of 7,000mi per year, on the road 7-9months per year, we are happy with our current rig and its second owner cost. Yes we are biased but did the upfront homework, typical electronic modifications for that year coach and it has made us smile everyday we are rolling. If you are a DYI and mechanically inclined then this lifestyle will be easier on you and your pocketbook. Others have chimed in on things to look for prior to signing the bottom line. The best inspection can be done from a friend who is mechanically inclined and owns a similar coach. In any case have the sellers SHOW YOU that ALL functions operate as it can be overwhelming if its your first pusher including how to do some of the maintenance if they know how. Best of luck to you on retirement and hope to see you on the road. Never wipe that Newmar smile off your face in the future. Yes we have no fogged windows, original 2 Penguin AC's with heat pumps, original awnings, Howard power center steering, original Dometic frige (replaced cooling unit 2 years ago), cracked tie rod boots but no exhaust manifold cracks so must be living right. It is stored indoors the other 3-5 months in the summer when we don't use it.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
[QUOTECheck for regular service on the Hydro/Aqui hot unit. Repair or replacement can be very costly.

Don't think it has that option?? Brochure shows a 12 Gal. Gas/Electric Water Heater with Direct-spark Ignition.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #13

Aside from fluid analysis, I would change the following:
Fuel filter
Coolant filter
Transmission filters
All belts- keep the old ones for an the road spares
Differential gear lube
Bearing gear lube
Air filter
Engine oil and filter
These items will be $550-$650

I just did this on my new to me 2007 MADP, ALL DIY

I also did my transmission fluid which added $420 to my maintenance
Old 05-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and world of Newmar.
All good advice so far some other items to look at would be this link for any item you may find a problem with the link may have the answer and fix.
All the links below in my signature have answers and fix's by members on this forum.
You will find MOD Sections by members as to fix's and improvements for better living in their coach, some are full timers traveling the U.S.A.
Good luck with your coach and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, newmar