Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I have but one word to say about what Midway did. N I C E !!!!! As soon as I get her out of hibernation I will be looking at what it will take to pull this one off. I really like that. Where is the jealous button when you need it. Midway is a little too far away from me. Can you give us a ballpark as to how much it cost to have it done (how many hours of labor)?

One question for you. I take it, the seal doesn't press hard enough against the side of the coach, to cause it to pop out when the slide is deployed? I wouldn't think there would be. Did I say I really like what they did?
Here's the most interesting part: Midway did it before we took delivery at no charge. So far dealing with them has been a great experience.
AITG is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Looks great the only problem some of us have is the decorative trim with the light in it. If a keg were made I would add a thinner version of the molding that could be install while the slide is in ... or what if the molding was two piece with the larger side permanently attached to the the wall and a small piece to the slide?
For me Stuart, the problem seems to be the metal frame on the slide that seals against the wall when the slide is in.. I can the seat inside the trim...
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Here's the most interesting part: Midway did it before we took delivery at no charge. So far dealing with them has been a great experience.
AFA sealing goes the board gets installed after the slide is extended. There is no pressure on the exterior wall. There is a piece of soft foam on the back side of the board which seems to be just for anti-rattle stability.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russtj60 View Post
For me Stuart, the problem seems to be the metal frame on the slide that seals against the wall when the slide is in.. I can the seat inside the trim...

Agreed I would not remove that but perhaps it could be smaller and still seal
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1486223870.842727.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	150940
Old 02-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Or with the lighted molding how about this? Make a smaller light up panel that is full length but skinnier that permanently mounts to the wall and then a thinner piece that has no light mounts to the slide.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #63

Quote:
Photos: First one shows the board removed for travel. There is a long piece of nylon split loom over the sharp edge of the aluminum. Photo 2 shows how much seat travel is added. Photo 3 is a little hard to see (black on black) but it shows the drawer clips screwed to the back of the trim board. The last one is looking at the back of the trim board showing the lock assembly.

My wife asked for the improvement - I was just going to live with it - and our salesman said they had done it once before. Good job Midway!

I looked at the slide in or 2014 Bay Star. It looks like there is the wood trim piece, and then under that is particle board. The particle board is a continuous piece from the bottom of the slide all the way up to and under the top piece of moulding. If I pull the vertical fascia off, I still have the particle board to deal with. To get down to the piece where your latches are installed.

Gonna have to call Newmar to see if I can remove the Sienna Maple vertical piece as well as the majority of the particle board and not have a detramental effect to the stability of the slide out. If I can, then I will make the moulding and the particle board a one piece assembly, and then install the latches.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Bill,
It sounds like you discovered exactly the same thing I did last night with the vertical, particle board overlapping the horizontal trim fascia. Back to the drawing board.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #65

OK... I wasn't able to see how it was done but there is a little saw mark on the bottom of these horizontal fascia board. It's hidden when everything is put together. Does that help?
Old 02-06-2017, 07:08 AM   #66

Please excuse the very rough drawing. What I'm thinking of doing is this:
1). Remove the front fascia, leaving the particle board in place.
2). Mark locations for the drawer clips on the back of the particle board.
3). Cut the particle board about 3" down from the top molding and remove.
4). Re-attach front fascia to particle board using the alignment marks as a reference.
5). Install drawer clips.

Hopefully, it will go back together properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	151110  
Old 02-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #67

Ok why is Newmar not changing the design or have they?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Ok why is Newmar not changing the design or have they?
Because they want to maximize the available space in the coach, and since most people aren't over 6', most have the room they want. I'm 6'4" and can use all the legroom I can get. It is also easier on my back if I can recline the seat a little off a vertical position. Getting old is a B**** , but it still beats the alternative.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #69

I went back to my 2702 today. Midway definitely cut the particle board where the seam is between the header trim and the (now) removable vertical trim piece. The particle board then stays attached to the trim.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #70

Quote:
I went back to my 2702 today. Midway definitely cut the particle board where the seam is between the header trim and the (now) removable vertical trim piece. The particle board then stays attached to the trim.
Also, there is a piece of 90 degree angle that is on the left side of the removable board. It lines everything up when snapping the board in place.

Tags
driver, newmar