Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2005, 02:47 PM   #1

We've been looking at this particular model as a "step up" from our present RV. Does anyone here have a LKSA or have any info. to share about them; good or bad. Would appreciate your advice/recommendations.

We like the LKSA floor plan, the island kitchen, the storage space, the bedroom and the option for the washer/dryer.

Hubby hopes to retire in 3-4 yrs. and this particular model is "calling our name", so to speak.

However, if anyone has had major problems with theirs etc., we'd like to hear about them.

Thanks to all...

'98 Damon Magnum
hometowngalRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2005, 02:47 PM   #2

We've been looking at this particular model as a "step up" from our present RV. Does anyone here have a LKSA or have any info. to share about them; good or bad. Would appreciate your advice/recommendations.

We like the LKSA floor plan, the island kitchen, the storage space, the bedroom and the option for the washer/dryer.

Hubby hopes to retire in 3-4 yrs. and this particular model is "calling our name", so to speak.

However, if anyone has had major problems with theirs etc., we'd like to hear about them.

Thanks to all...

'98 Damon Magnum
Old 03-06-2005, 03:15 PM   #3

Hometown gal, welcome to the site. Unfortunately, I don't know squat diddly about the unit you are asking about. Maybe other board members can help you.If not there is a Newmar site for owners of powered rigs and towables over on Yahoo. I follow it very frequently and there are some pretty knowledgeable folks over there also. Good luck in your quest, Ken,'04 DSDP...
Old 03-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #4

I got a 2005 kountry star and I don't have no problems at all with the unit.The only complain is that the recliner (standard)is a piece of s... I try to talk with newmar about but they turn the back to me.I end up with a new recliner from furniture store very confortable.If you need more info send me a mesage.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Kountry Star FW-30RKCL. I am also looking at the 35RKCL. Don't know if we will get it this year or next year. Don't know if it will be the Kountry Star or the Mountain Air. But that is the model we are going to get.

However, I can tell you that you will not go wrong with a Newmar. I had a few bugs with my current rig but all were OEM stuff, none were due to manufacturer issues nor were they major issues. Newmar was standup and addressed the issues immediately.

You need to know that Newmar trailers are amongst the heavier trailers on the market. You will be stretching your luck if you plan on towing it with your 3/4 ton truck. In fact, the way we have the trailer configured, the Mountain Air model will max out my GMC (3500) 1 Ton dually. The Kountry Star model will max out by combined weight but still leave me room with the gross wieght. But that is a towing weight issue which can be very controversial and I donnot want to start a towing weight war here.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #6

Thank you for the replies... the unit we're looking at happens to have 2 recliners in it. I'll take your comment under advisement.

As for pulling the 35LKSA, we're considering the Chevy 4500 with the Duramax/Allison as a tow vehicle. Hb's always wanted a medium duty truck... here's his chance! Just have to "get all our ducks in a row" financially before that can happen. We've got a couple more years yet before retirement, but we're checking things out early and getting a feel for what we like and hope to afford.

Thanks again for your responses.

'98 Damon Magnum
Old 03-08-2005, 12:50 PM   #7

Hometown Gal:

We have a 2004 Kountry Star 35lksa with three slides. What can I say it has been a pleasure to RV in right from day one. We have had a couple of minor problems that the dealer took care of has soon as we could get it to the dealer. We love the floorplan and the storage great. we opted for the onan genset to be installed in the front compartment so we lost a little storage there. any questions you might have feel free to P/M me and I will try and answer them for you.
Willie Makit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:49 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Willie Makit

Is your generator LP, or Gas? We have a Onan LP generator in our current trailer. Looking to go to the 35LKSA too. We've talked to the dealer and have spec'ed the Gas powered Onan generator. Looking for opinions. We haven't placed the order yet, just spec'ed it out.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 03-11-2005, 04:44 AM   #9

It's my understanding from what I've been told from my sources that Newmar will discontinue the Newmar American Star and also the Newmar Kountry Star for model year 2006, and will only produce the newly introduced Newmar Cypress, the Newmar Mountain Aire and the top of the line Newmar Kountry Aire in fifth wheel models. Ed. S
Old 03-11-2005, 01:26 PM   #10

K-Star:

Our generator is a gas model. After talking with the Generator Tech. at the local onan dealer I went with the gas because he said fuel consumption was higher with the LP units, Cold weather temps. causes more problems with the LP units then with the gas units. The tech did a fantastic installation job. He used a marine gas tank (plastic) with quick disconnects on the lines. I told him I was worried about fumes un that compartment so he added a hose to the tank vent and then vented it out to the underside of the 5er. With the quick disconnects it is easy to remove for refueling. He also said that I was better off with the manual change over for generator or shore power. He said the auto change overs are nice but he has seen alot of them that have caught fire and caused alot of damage.

Good Luck in your Generator quest.
Willie Makit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #11

Ed S.... I'm dismayed to learn the LKSA may not be made in 2006.

Actually, I'm rather surprised the salesman did not mention this to us, as he knew we were thinking "down the line" on this purchase.

They only had 1 '05 LKSA left in the lot and he didn't "push us" to get it by telling us an '06 model of same floorplan might not be available. (Of course, he may have had another more ready buyer in the wings.)

Hmmm... guess I'll give him a call next week and try to subtlely check it out without tipping my hand.

Thanks, everyone, for all the info.

'98 Damon Magnum
Old 03-12-2005, 03:34 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The LKSA is also available on the Mountain Aire also. Maybe he was hoping you would buy that. Or maybe s/he just did not know. But it is getting me thinking too.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 03-13-2005, 05:00 AM   #13

Someone mentioned that the fivers are heavy. You are wise to be looking at a medium duty truck. Even my double slide 34RDCK weighed in at 18,000 pounds last year. We were blown away. Original calculations had put it at 16,000. We are woking hard to reduce that to get it within the trucks legal limits.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:02 AM   #14

I really like the looks of that medium duty Chev. but for less money you can get a Class 6 tractor, license it as a motorhome, and it'll pull almost anything out there without knowing it's there. That's my plan when it's time for me to upgrade my truck. Just my 2 cents. John

2003 Dodge Crew Cab, 4X4, Ca. Cummins, Limited slip, 3.73, 48re, T-Rex nerf bars, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Companion, Prodigy. 2005 Wildcat 29BHBP, 1987 HR Aluma-Lite XL 35', 1500W inverter, 3 solar panels, 3 furnaces, 4 Golf Cart Batteri
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote