RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #1

Newmar admits sensor mount problem

For those like me who found that Newmar had mounted the temperature sensor to an outside wall, causing high readings and AGS issues, you may be interested in this letter just published in Motorhome magazine.
"
Action Line:
Pennsylvania Good Sam member Phil Politano asked Action Line to resolve a dispute with the manufacturer of his Class A motorhome:

On July 22, 2013, we brought our 2012 Newmar Canyon Star to the Newmar factory for some warranty work and installation of, among other things, a Magnum Energy Auto Generator Start.
In February 2014, while plugged into a working 50-amp receptacle, the generator unexpectedly started. I believed there was a setting that needed to be changed and made some adjustments.
In May 2014 we experienced another unexpected start. Again, I did some adjustments to the settings, per the owner’s manual, and contactedMagnum Energy. They advised that sensor placement might be the issue. The manual clearly states not to place the sensor on an outside wall, which is where Newmar installed it. I called Newmar, and they told me to take the coach to a nearby service center. The technicians determined the problem was sensor placement. They contacted Newmar and were told that the coach was out of warranty and that they were not responsible for the repair. When I contacted Newmar about this, Mike Bianchini in the customer service department told me Newmar would take responsibility “if the installation manual states that the sensor is not to be installed on an outside wall, and our techs did this.” Upon further contact with Newmar, however, customer service denied the request. I am seeking repayment of the $570.59 it cost me to have Newmar’s mistake corrected.
Action Line:
After Action Line contacted Newmar, the Politanos were able to meet with members of the Newmar team at the Hershey, Pennsylvania, RV show, and the issue has been resolved to their satisfaction."

When I called Newmar about this issue with my coach I was told that the dealer would have to photograph the problem and then get a Newmar tech. to review and decide if it was a problem. It is obvious this is an ongoing issue with Newmar and rather than tackle it piecemeal they should issue a TSB and fix all coaches built like this. Anyone else agree?

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Count me in. I have the same issue and the factory advised me to insulate around the sensor (didn't work) and then to have my dealer disconnect the zone 1 sensor at the A/C roof unit and that the temperature reading would be defaulted to the wall thermostat. This was tried, but the thermostat is on the opposite outside wall so that didn't work either.
My rep at the factory told me this was not a common occurrence and they didn't hear of this issue much.

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:59 AM   #3

I've never been to thrilled with sensor placement on all 3 zones in our coach. Always figured if we ever reorder I have them moved to where I want them.

I haven't figured out where else the zone 1 should be. It would have to be on the bottom of a cupboard in one of the slides.

I insulated ours and it made a small difference, very small.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:14 AM   #4

It is a problem if you have a lot of slides. I don't have a slide on the passenger side so it could easily be mounted on a cabinet on that side. I pulled my sensor out of the wall as far as it would go, about an inch, so it is not touching the wall, but it only makes a minor difference. Why not have it hanging from the ceiling?
I did check the CCC manual and it says that any sensor calling for a/c will start the generator. So as a work around I will not have Zone 1 on and rely on Zone 2 and Zone 3 sensors to kick off the generator if needed.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Newmar admit sensor mount problem

I used my IR sensor on the outside wall, but inside the coach. When the inside temp was reading 87F the wall was ranging from 84-88. With that much heat in the wall, the sensor is picking up that heat for sure. Actual inside temp by separate thermometer was 75. Also reading far too cold in 40-50 F nights. Maybe the location could be on the drivers side forward end table?
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
For those like me who found that Newmar had mounted the temperature sensor to an outside wall, causing high readings and AGS issues, you may be interested in this letter just published in Motorhome magazine.
"
Action Line:
Pennsylvania Good Sam member Phil Politano asked Action Line to resolve a dispute with the manufacturer of his Class A motorhome:

On July 22, 2013, we brought our 2012 Newmar Canyon Star to the Newmar factory for some warranty work and installation of, among other things, a Magnum Energy Auto Generator Start.
In February 2014, while plugged into a working 50-amp receptacle, the generator unexpectedly started. I believed there was a setting that needed to be changed and made some adjustments.
In May 2014 we experienced another unexpected start. Again, I did some adjustments to the settings, per the owner’s manual, and contactedMagnum Energy. They advised that sensor placement might be the issue. The manual clearly states not to place the sensor on an outside wall, which is where Newmar installed it. I called Newmar, and they told me to take the coach to a nearby service center. The technicians determined the problem was sensor placement. They contacted Newmar and were told that the coach was out of warranty and that they were not responsible for the repair. When I contacted Newmar about this, Mike Bianchini in the customer service department told me Newmar would take responsibility “if the installation manual states that the sensor is not to be installed on an outside wall, and our techs did this.” Upon further contact with Newmar, however, customer service denied the request. I am seeking repayment of the $570.59 it cost me to have Newmar’s mistake corrected.
Action Line:
After Action Line contacted Newmar, the Politanos were able to meet with members of the Newmar team at the Hershey, Pennsylvania, RV show, and the issue has been resolved to their satisfaction."

When I called Newmar about this issue with my coach I was told that the dealer would have to photograph the problem and then get a Newmar tech. to review and decide if it was a problem. It is obvious this is an ongoing issue with Newmar and rather than tackle it piecemeal they should issue a TSB and fix all coaches built like this. Anyone else agree?
Did anyone get any satisfaction from Newmar on this issue?
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #7

I put a piece of wood dowel about 2" long to space out the sensor from the wall. I did it after our last trip so I haven't had a chance to see how effective that 2" or so is.
BTW-- the fan-tastic vent/fan in the 1/2 bath died... it was the control board. When I called fan-tasic fan, the first thing that asked was if the controller was on an outside wall.... in the 1/2 bath it is. They said that is the problem and they had had a lot of issues with the Newmar installations. The sent me a new control board and before I put it in, I put some Styrofoam insulation behind it to protect it as best as possible. It's been about 16 months and so far, so good.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 03:02 PM   #8

Is there an easy answer to how to pull off the faceplate of the controller?
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
I've never been to thrilled with sensor placement on all 3 zones in our coach. Always figured if we ever reorder I have them moved to where I want them.

I haven't figured out where else the zone 1 should be. It would have to be on the bottom of a cupboard in one of the slides.
I was thinking that placed in the center of the dash, below the toggle switches would be an ideal zone 1 reading.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4347, Active Air

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:15 PM   #10

A Dometic engineer I spoke to suggested putting it in the return duct. Don't think that would work for a furnace or Oasis system though.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookup View Post
Is there an easy answer to how to pull off the faceplate of the controller?
That's what I was wondering. And what does the controller for the fan vent look like? Are we just talking about the wall on/off switch? Mine hasn't died yet but I never know whether or not the lid will go up and the fan motor start when the wall switch is pushed.

Also, if or when the generator automatically starts will the start/kill switch on the dash stop the gen if it's not really needed?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
That's what I was wondering. And what does the controller for the fan vent look like? Are we just talking about the wall on/off switch? Mine hasn't died yet but I never know whether or not the lid will go up and the fan motor start when the wall switch is pushed.

Also, if or when the generator automatically starts will the start/kill switch on the dash stop the gen if it's not really needed?

Yep- it's the switch mechanism on the wall. If you take it
off, there is a circuit board inside-- at least on ours, it has the temp/humidity selections
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #13

Are these sensors the little semi-round wall mounted units for the heating / cooling system or are there separate temperature sensors for the AGS system ? ( 2014 Ventana )
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #14

The remote sensors are as you describe. The AGS uses a signal from the thermostat and does not connect directly to the sensors.

Tags
newmar