Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2018, 03:43 PM   #1

Newmar Allstar 3950 - What's should I know?

So, wife came across a 2007 Newmar 3950 with pretty low mileage (around 30k). Until now, I'd never really discovered a reason to consider something so old, other than the obvious cost savings of going used.

Then she showed me the floorplan. We both thought it was pretty great. Since it's mid-engine diesel, Newmar was able to do a small loft above the bedroom, with two beds and full dressers and a TV. Perfect for kids.

So we're kind of flirting with the idea of purchasing one of these (they seem to be relatively cheap) and hiring a carpenter to gut the interior and refinish it.

Open to any and all thoughts and opinions on the matter.
  • If you had one, did you love it or hate it?
  • If you've ever renovated an RV, is it a nightmare?
  • Are repairs harder/more costly on a mid-engine diesel as some components may be more difficult to get to?
  • What am I probably not thinking about that I should be - erm, what would you be thinking about?
Mapnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
She found a great coach and if taken care of you will have many years of use and if you have kids they will love it.
Brochure -- Owners Guide

Look through these MOD LINK's of a owner of one at the time. Scroll back and forth in the long link to find them all. Owner now has different coach if still on forums maybe able to PM him for info on his older ATM.
Good luck in your quest.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #3

Thanks 007!! I believe I owe you a vodka martini. shaken, not stirred.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mapnerd,
The AllStar is a classic coach. Not many made. Tried to get one myself but was late to the party. If you buy it, you will enjoy it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
Thanks 007!! I believe I owe you a vodka martini. shaken, not stirred.
Technically, the "original" 007 drank a Vesper Martini that was made with gin and vodka in a 3 to 1 ratio. But, there is Absolute(ly) nothing wrong with a vodka martini! [emoji16]
Old 10-24-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the thoughts but my stomach can only handle a good beer, this 007 has a lot of spare parts and wear & tear on the old body.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Soundguy63 recently sold his allstar 3950. You should message him, I'm sure he has lots of good info.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:21 AM   #8

We just purchased a 2009 Allstar 4188 handicap in late July from a dealer and so far we love it to get around in as my wife is in a wheel chair.
I am told that it handles well as the engine is in the middle but not have owning a rear push or driving I have no idea but I do love driving it and it is easy to drive.
As far as the engine being where it is it has a advantage and disadvantage...When u stop to set-up or relax the floor will stay warm above the engine so good when cool but takes longer to cool off when warm so keep that in mind.
Also I am being told that the mechanics like it as they get at the motor better and have no room...I have not been in there yet.
Sound while driving is good and ones whom have ridden with us comment how quit the coach is and has very little rattles...rattles bug me.
Today the unit is ready to be driven into storage and we are sad to put it away for the winter and cannot wait for the upcoming season to travel and get the heck out of here for bug season..

If u have more questions u cam PM me and I will give u phone #....Hope this helps ...Jay
Old 10-25-2018, 07:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
OP, you have found a great site with a lot of usually good free advice and in this case, more than you asked for. As new RVers, in less than a month you have been all over the map on RVs...anywhere from ruling out a 5er to having a new Essex custom built to now a very rare 2007 Newmar 3950.

Sorry but I often look at previous posts before responding. So you’re probably 35 and have 5&7 year olds. Recently able to work remotely and home school. Never owned a RV and I’m starting to sound like your father...actually a grand father so NO Way should you buy a new MH with a heck of a mortgage on an adventure you know very little about it that may not work out. Don’t get me wrong as I love RVing but I started in a tent decades ago and have owned about every type made. I often say to buy MH than you think you need...one time, BUT as virgins that are selling your home and going all in there is a lot that can go wrong. I do agree with becoming FL residents before buying...if you bring in a vehicle you have owned less than 6 months Fla will get you for sales tax again.

Hopefully you do not have a lot of stuff to get rid of as that can be expensive (15 cents on the $) and if the adventure does not work out...maybe storing some of it??? One thing I did not see discussed is Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) which is how much stuff you can add to a rig ready to travel with fuel, water, and people. Since you want to boondock 40% of the time big tanks (80 to 100 gallons) become very important but that decrease the CCC.

Enough for now, so slow down (saw a 2019 date) as you have a lot to learn in the hopes of making this work on the first try. Good Luck

PS: yes Newmar makes a good coach but so do other manufacturers. I would search for “bunkhouse” models because if this works out those kids will need more sleeping room.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #10

The one in Lake Placid Florida? Price seems high. NADA is MUCH less. "Used as onsite office" makes it sound well used too. I kind of watch these as I like the mid engine aspect, and have kids. You see them for sale from the mid $70's to to over $120K. Shop around, and look for sold units.

The mid engine layout trades the space in the middle for the space in the rear. When you use the space at the rear for a bedroom, you are left with very little storage. They did a few different bunk layouts, one has bunks in the side, with raised rear bedroom with a large garage underneath. Same number of beds, but more storage. there's also some toyhauler setups that you could convert to bunks/storage too. All depends what you want and need.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 04:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
So you’re probably 35 and have 5&7 year olds. Recently able to work remotely and home school. Never owned a RV and I’m starting to sound like your father...
Pfft. I just turned 34 this month and my kids are turning 7 and 8 next month. Shows how much YOU know.

You've pretty much nailed everything and you're right - I'm all over the map. We have no idea what we're doing. That's why I'm on this forum, pretty much nightly, reading posts and learning. I'm asking questions about every random idea that pops into our head. We've ruled out a 5er, Class B and Cs aren't big enough.

Six months from now, we might rule it all out and buy a submarine! Spring 2019 is a hard date in terms of selling the home - the one thing we know for certain we are doing. As for what the next step is after that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

In all honesty, I appreciate the father...erm, grandfatherly advice. Keep. It. Coming.

I mean, I can barely spell motordome.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
The one in Lake Placid Florida? Price seems high. NADA is MUCH less.
I'm not sure where it was located. Fwiw, we're not considering that one specifically as we're at least 6 months away from doing anything at all. I believe it was on RVTrader listed for $95k. We just thought it was a really neat floorplan and frankly, its the first older model that we've come across that made us even consider trying to breath new life into something that old (relatively speaking of course - 11 years seems old for an RV)
Old 10-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The majority of your recent posts are in the Newman section...I would not limit my search/education to just there. The MH section will give you more visibility and I would ask “must haves for Full Time” with a budget # and young 2+2. I’m headed out of the country for several weeks so I’m not going to be of much help. Good Luck, It’s a buyers market since you do not have a trade. NADA is a OK guide and I would not pay more than low retail without adding any options. They are out there as I recently paid $35K less than low retail and most rigs were wanting $20K more than the $200K NADA with more miles. As you can see below I was not afraid of a higher end 10 year old rig when I recently upgraded.

Unfortunately most DPs are not child friendly but I would not settle on a gas rig for Full Time. Do not limit the size because of the myth that big rigs are to big for public CGs. I made that mistake 18 years ago and started with a 36’ used DP. Two years later went to 40’ and two more 42’. Trading is expensive $$$ although I sold my 42’ to my son...had not planned on upgrading.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My $0.015:

We started with 4 kids ages 2yrs to 15yrs old in our 2013 Dutchstar. Bought it new, and although we do not full time in it, we do travel a lot. We routinely will spend 3 months at a stretch living in the RV. The floor plan we went with was setup for living, not sleeping. I wanted a comfortable floor plan that was usable during the day, while traveling, and that could easily sleep everyone.

Kids are very adaptable, and I don't mind telling them "tough luck" when they said they desired a bunk bed coach. Truth is, the bunks work great for 2-7yrs old, but after that, the bunks are cramped at best.

We do have tall kids, so maybe that plays into it, but we have found that the bunk models really only do well during sleeping hours, and the rest of the time, it is wasted space that isn't usable.

In the motorhome, every square inch matters.

This last summer we had all 4 kids with us and my youngest son decided that the floor was his new sleeping spot, as it gave him more room. The couch cushions provided a great pad surface , and they had to be stored somewhere anyway.

So the point I am making, focus more on the 14-18 hours that everyone is awake and less on the hours of sleep when looking at the floor plans.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar