RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2006, 11:55 AM   #1

I am new to the forum, so I hope I am not asking questions that have already been asked. That being said, I have a family of 5. My wife and I, and 3 children (8,6,and 5). We have been searching high and low for a Class A Diesel that would accomadate our sleeping needs. I was thrilled when I found the 3950 and 3951 floor plan. I called several dealers and none of them carried these units. I had one that went as far to tell me they would order it for me, but I would have to put down 10% non refundable down payment before they ordered it. The sales manager said they wanted nothing to do with it and that once I got it, it was mine. He said he wouldn't be interested in ever trading it in later or anything. He said he could never sell it because of the lofts and he didn't believe in the mid engine diesel. That pretty much scared me off of this RV. This came out of the mouth of a Newmar dealer. Is this true? Do any of you guys have expierence with a mid engine diesel? Also, is a loft a death sentence for trade in later on? I would also like to hear any opinions you guys might have about the Allstar. I am down to deciding between the Monaco Knight and the Newmar Allstar, but like I said, I am afraid I will get no support with if fro mthe dealer. One last question, Do you have to access the engine from the middle of the kitchen floor? If so, is that a problem? Thanks

Torchbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2006, 12:21 PM   #2

Lane - welcome to the forum. I believe your the one on RVforum who I recommended come here for the answer. I believe you will get responses shortly. I can say that I just spent two weeks at Newmar and toured factory twice. The presnt total build rate is 10/day of gas/diesel and 5th wheel. It looked to me that Allstars were somewhere betwen 2 and 3 per day. Since Newmar only builds to order that would indicate to me that some dealers think there okay. I personally liked the new cycle hauler.

Regarding engine location, I haven't looked a t a mid-engine but its not easy to get to virtually any RV engine and my DS is a case in point. So, I don't think going through the kitchen floor will be much worse than most others. Others who have looked may disagree.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lane:

I can't tell you anything specific about the Allstar and since they are fairly new, it may be hard to get lot's of feedback at this point. There was a review in the July issue of Family Motor Coach magazine.

I do have an opinion on the dealer's view. He is probably thinking that the DP market has been primarily more senior buyers who don't have children traveling with them. While that may have been the case in the most recent past, it seems more younger folks are entering the DP market and, as you are apparently doing, looking for more family-friendly accomodations. So, the dealer may not be up on the changing demographics, or he may be making poor assumptions about it. At any rate, he is not unlike most dealers who want to be able to 'move' a trade quickly and he might have to keep an Allstar on the lot longer to find a buyer who needs/wants that configuration. At any rate, it doesn't sound like that particular dealer is interested in helping you get what you need.

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Lane Sanders to irv2 and the Newmar Forum.
You are looking at a new coach design so some dealers maybe leary of it but your dealer I would feel the same. There is a dealer Howards in N.C. that may treat you better.
We have one member DAV5942 that has just purchased a mid-engine coach on pages 3&4 in these topics that may answer some of your questions that you may have. When you find his topic just click on his posts at bottom left of his post and all his topics will come into view.
He came to us with your same questions but he bought a toy-hauler version of the ME.
If you do buy most Newmars are built to your specs and options after all you pay the bill and Newmar is on a 6 to 8 week build period.
Dave has his coach and is using it have not heard of any major problems. The coachs your looking at would be ideal for your family.
The dealer you may have been at is trying to push out coachs on his lot that he may have over ordered.
If you need any other help let us know if you have problem finding yourself around irv2.
Newmar maybe closing out on this dealer also because of his attitude.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Lane, I purchased my coach from Howard RV in Wilmington, NC and I know they carry the AllStar and as a matter of fact HERE
is one they have on their lot.

Call 1-800-752-8148 and ask for Susan Dwyer, tell her I sent ya!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Lane, I purchased my coach from Howard RV in Wilmington, NC and I know they carry the AllStar and as a matter of fact HERE
is one they have on their lot.

Call 1-800-752-8148 and ask for Susan Dwyer, tell her I sent ya!!
I didn't look closely at them while on the tour figuring I wouldm't be interested. However, after looking at the pictures in your message I think it might be a great thing for traveling with my 12 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:19 AM   #7

I appreciate all of the feedback. i am driving out west and I will be test driving the Allstar 3950 on Monday. I will post feedback on my observation after the drive. Thanks
Torchbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #8

Look up AllStarRoadTrip.com and contact either Craig or Eddy as they and their families are living for 2 years in 2 All Stars.

Clearly your dealer is an old school dealer to be that adamant about the non 8-4-2 design of the All Star. Did they have any toy haulers? That would be a tell-tale.

While it is true the market is undoubtedly larger for the traditional coach designs, that would not exclude the multi-bedrooms from resale. One can only expect the multi-bedroom models to grow in both acceptance and use. They are a brand new concept in the past year and assimilation into the general market will take time.