RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2006, 11:08 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I just need to tell you about my Jack Down problem and what was done to fix it.

Do to the fact that my dealer is a 6 hr round trip and I am living in my RV I try to fix anything and everything myself. I have a pretty good set of tools and good shop are to do fabrication and the like.

I was getting a Jack Down alarm while driving and Yes the system was set in STORE. I called HWH and they set me up with a tech. We determined that the magnetic jack switch was bad. HWH shipped me a new switch and sent the bill about a week later. I paid the bill and received a follow up call to see if my problem was solved. Yep everything was OK.

I submitted the bill to Newmar and sent the failed part back to Newmar on their UPS account. About 2 weeks later I got a check from Newmar.

Wow what a deal... But, about 3 weeks later a get a follow up call form HWH asking about my experience with HWH. I thought that was pretty cool. Now, about a week after that I get a check from HWH for the cost of the parts as it was under warranty. But, Newmar had already paid me so I sent it back.

Fast forward to today. Guess what? I got another check from Newmar for the HWH parts! So, I guess I need to send it back in the am.

I know that this is not normal customer service that we are getting today from many of the companies that we deal with. But, I want to think the HWH and Newmar are doing a better job than most.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2006, 11:08 AM   #2

I just need to tell you about my Jack Down problem and what was done to fix it.

Do to the fact that my dealer is a 6 hr round trip and I am living in my RV I try to fix anything and everything myself. I have a pretty good set of tools and good shop are to do fabrication and the like.

I was getting a Jack Down alarm while driving and Yes the system was set in STORE. I called HWH and they set me up with a tech. We determined that the magnetic jack switch was bad. HWH shipped me a new switch and sent the bill about a week later. I paid the bill and received a follow up call to see if my problem was solved. Yep everything was OK.

I submitted the bill to Newmar and sent the failed part back to Newmar on their UPS account. About 2 weeks later I got a check from Newmar.

Wow what a deal... But, about 3 weeks later a get a follow up call form HWH asking about my experience with HWH. I thought that was pretty cool. Now, about a week after that I get a check from HWH for the cost of the parts as it was under warranty. But, Newmar had already paid me so I sent it back.

Fast forward to today. Guess what? I got another check from Newmar for the HWH parts! So, I guess I need to send it back in the am.

I know that this is not normal customer service that we are getting today from many of the companies that we deal with. But, I want to think the HWH and Newmar are doing a better job than most.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Dale,

I have NO problem with HWH....I am happy you have received good service from them and are apparently receiving good service from Newmar as well.

Let me tell you about MY problem, in case you haven't taken the time to read the 67 pages of mostly vendor related issues with my BRAND NEW THREE MONTH OLD ESSEX.

I've now been through THREE solenoid/relays and this particular solenoid/relay is the one that controls the HWH levelers and the HWH slideout control for my generator.

All three instances resulted in the need for replacement of the solenoid/relay and NOW I AM TOLD by my local tech that. according to the experts at HWH, MOISTURE is the issue...

I'VE BEEN TELLING NEWMAR THIS SINCE THE FIRST SOLENOID WAS REPLACED and it was FULL OF WATER.

Newmar's answer?? JUST THROW MORE PARTS AT IT MR GREGORY!! HOW ABSURD!!

My tech has taken it upon himself to fabricate a shield/deflector to place in front of the solenoid/relay location, in an attempt to keep at least some of the water from being an issue.

Not sure what the engineers at Newmar are doing, but EVERYONE I'VE TALKED TO thinks that putting an open wired electrical device in such a place where water is more than certain to affect it's performace is DUMB!!

Ya think those boys at Newmar are listening?

Essex high end service knows me on a first name basis and they do a GREAT JOB!!
Don't know what I'd do if I didn't have them to be the liason for me....

I'm obviously disappointed that my coach was not engineered more efficiently and can only wonder what other "gem of engineering" the future will leave to find...

Have I even mentioned that I had to have "Smokey Joe" work on my electrical panel in Sevierville as the 50A campground breaker kept tripping, only to find the COACH A/C panel was so UNBALANCED that there was too many things on one leg and not enough on the other???

Which engineer at Newmar did that??

Yep....sorry to tell you I'm upset..... For 500K I would think this stuff would be LESS likely to happen.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
We all have had problems with Newmar or any other MFG at high end or low end models. You have been having the worst LUCK of any of us. Your thread has helped many Essex and Newmar owners but you should not have been the selected one for all the problems you have had on this one coach.
I'am sure Newmar and Spartan has picked up alot on your thread and in conversation also.
I have said sometimes we wind up being the Pioneer for a new product and have been shot down but thats the way I see it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #5

Bob I feel your pain. But, it seems to me that the Essex has been plagued with problems from its inception. I can't image the rage I would be in if I paid a 1/2 mill or more for a coach and had the problems you have had. Me, I would be looking at the Texas Lemon Law and be in Newmar's back pocket with my attorney.

OBTW - I saw a 03 Essex for $198K.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Old 10-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #7

I am super-impressed with HWH's service too. I was having a problem with the jacks making a loud noise when they were deployed- they worked fine, just made a rather embarrassing noise. Since we were going to be on I-80 and practically next to HWH's factory in Moscow, Iowa I decided to stop by to see if they could fix the problem. Even though I didn't have an appointment they got in within 15 minutes, the tech knew immediately what the problem was and fixed it within 30 minutes. When he was done he brought me an invoice and asked me to sign it verifying that the problem was fixed. When I asked him how I was to pay for it he said "No charge". I couldn't believe it- my coach is over a year beyond warranty and they still repaired it at no charge. It doesn't get any better than that!

Jack
Old 10-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Jack, can you elaborate on what the "fix" was, for the benefit of the other forum members?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Please do Jack because I have had the loud f**t at times also.
Also if you keep posting you should be a member of the Newmar Forum don't you think.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote