Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar basement storage dimensions - Bicycle Fit?

We are currently looking at purchasing a newmar ventana. We ride a tandem bicycle and are trying to figure out if it will fit in the basement storage. Can anyone tell me what the door opening size is and height of the frame rail to the floor?

The dealer is about 3 hours away or I would get this measurement myself. Thank you for your help.
mr_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 03:01 AM   #2

It’s different on every model and floor plan. You may need to provide more info for a specific answer.
Newaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:11 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While not overly familiar with the Ventana, I suspect you'll be hard pressed to get a tandem into any basement compartment and it will be a PITA to put it in and take it out (even with the front wheel removed and the handlebars loosened). That stated, if you're planning to pull a tow vehicle then why not look at a roof rack that could handle a tandem?
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:56 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think you’ll find it necessary to take your bike to a specialty shop and have frame couplers added. These are routinely used for tandems, so that they can be broken down to fit into airline travel cases, etc...which I believe could make it possible to store your bike in a storage compartment.

Examples...

https://www.ticycles.com/sands-coupling/

You might try Eric and Linda...iRV2 members “WOODOSGOOD”. They are full timers and have expertise in Tandem Bikes as well. They have a Ventana 4369. I think the answers you seek are just a click away. Very, very nice people! So, I recommend plugging thier iRV2 handle in the search box, finding a link...and firing off a PM (private message) to them.

15” x 34”...our 16’ 4037 pass thru bay is just over 15” from the floor to the bottom of the frame rail, and 34”wide gasket to gasket on the door opening. Having the full length sliding tray would make it easier to load and unload, but will reduce clearance to the frame rail due to the elevation of the tray on it’s rails...
Old 02-23-2018, 05:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I think you are right we may have to leverage the toad for this mission. Thank you.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I think you’ll find it necessary to take your bike to a specialty shop and have frame couplers added. These are routinely used for tandems, so that they can be broken down to fit into airline travel cases, etc...which I believe could make it possible to store your bike in a storage compartment.

Examples...

https://www.ticycles.com/sands-coupling/

You might try Eric and Linda...iRV2 members “WOODOSGOOD”. They are full timers and have expertise in Tandem Bikes as well. They have a Ventana 4369. I think the answers you seek are just a click away. Very, very nice people! So, I recommend plugging thier iRV2 handle in the search box, finding a link...and firing off a PM (private message) to them.

15” x 34”...our 16’ 4037 pass thru bay is just over 15” from the floor to the bottom of the frame rail, and 34”wide gasket to gasket on the door opening. Having the full length sliding tray would make it easier to load and unload, but will reduce clearance to the frame rail due to the elevation of the tray on it’s rails...
Thank you some much for the help. I will try to reach out to Eric and Linda and see how they transport. With the dimensions you mentioned. I don’t have any hopes to get it in the bay. Back to the drawing board.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We've used one that had a full pass through storage area with a slide out tray and were able to get two bikes loaded, so I would think with that type of storage you would have no problem with the tandem.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:44 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_reality View Post
Thank you some much for the help. I will try to reach out to Eric and Linda and see how they transport. With the dimensions you mentioned. I don’t have any hopes to get it in the bay. Back to the drawing board.
We keep two folding bikes in the bay just ahead of the pegboard bay. I believe you could arrange a tandem with couplers in that bay.

Other than folding bikes...we have not tried storing any bikes in the coach. Storage space is at a premium...chairs, tables, grills, hoses, tools, bike pumps, bike stands, beach umbrellas, window shades, and on and on...

Our Jeep can carry bikes three ways...

Saris Trap...inside the Jeep with rear seat folded down for carbon road bikes...
Yakima Forklift roof rack...can carry our road or mountain bikes...lifting required.
1UpUSA 2” Heavy Duty Dbl rack...best all-round for hauling to the trails...easy to use...can flip down to clear tailgate opening...

I can carry my hi-racer recumbent on the 1UpUSA rack as well...

I know they make a tandem rack...I haven’t spoken to anyone that’s had one...

https://www.1up-usa.com/product/tandem-roof-tray/

And this company makes both hitch mount and roof mount tandem racked...

http://atoc.com
Old 02-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Getting it to fit in is only the first problem. Once stored, how awkward is it to pull it out when you want to use it?

Even the folding bike we once carried were a pain to get in and out.

If it were me, I would consider a bike rack on your toad. Easy on off, and you don't use up an entire bay.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #10

tandem fits in our Ventana

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_reality View Post
We are currently looking at purchasing a newmar ventana. We ride a tandem bicycle and are trying to figure out if it will fit in the basement storage. Can anyone tell me what the door opening size is and height of the frame rail to the floor?
We have a short Ventana and part of the purchase was to make sure our tandem would fit in the one pass through storage compartment. Wheels come off, stoker bar comes off, captain seat post lowered. We've carried three different tandems. A Santana Beyond Med:Med. Cannondale mtn LG:Med. and full suspension Ventana ECDM Lg:Med. The last requires releasing tension on the front fork too.

I've seen people with larger RV's carry two tandems in their storage bins. We can only fit one at a time. Happy riding twogether.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, newmar