Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #1

Newmar Bay Star 3401

Hi all,
Looking for some advice. I was going to buy a motorhome a year from now but came across a deal I couldn't turn down. A 2018 Newmar Bay Star with less than 3000 miles.

My concern is there is no Newmar warranty as it is used and was concerned about what kind of aftermarket warranty to shop for.

What companies are good for aftermarket warranties?

AND MOST OF ALL, IS THE NEWMAR BAY STAR A GOOD BUY? Thanks to all who will answer.
cobrakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 09:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakid View Post
Hi all,
Looking for some advice. I was going to buy a motorhome a year from now but came across a deal I couldn't turn down. A 2018 Newmar Bay Star with less than 3000 miles.

My concern is there is no Newmar warranty as it is used and was concerned about what kind of aftermarket warranty to shop for.

What companies are good for aftermarket warranties?

AND MOST OF ALL, IS THE NEWMAR BAY STAR A GOOD BUY? Thanks to all who will answer.
Road test it and try everything to be sure it all works. visually check the fit of the slides: they should be flush when closed and the gap between the slide and the body should be even all around. I had to adjust mine three times when it was new but the last tweak has been good for 15,000 miles. Check the slide motor bolts: complete details are searchable in the Newmar sub-forum. It may be fixed on a 2018.
Quality wise, it stands above it's competition in materials and attention to detail. Tiffin is the other leading quality builder in that size but for me, the Newmar dealers reputation (Midway RV) and my proximity to the factory made it my best choice. If I lived closer to Red Bay AL I would have looked at Tiffin.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2016 Bay Star, purchased new at the end of the model year. We love it. There were a few minor issues, that were resolved within the manufacturer's warranty period. More recently, we had an issue with a slide controller and our house batteries, both covered by our extended warranty. So, drive it and try everything to make sure it all works. Check the slide alignment and the slide motor bolts. You might consider having a professional inspection done. Also, there are after-market warranties and service protection policies available for peace of mind. Good luck! I don't think you can go wrong with a Newmar!
nseaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:30 PM   #4

We just purchased our 2012 Bay Star 3302 a few months ago and we are very impressed with the quality of the unit. We were lucky to get a transferable extended warranty but if I were you, I would probably pass on an extended warranty IF a thorough professional inspection is done. Or, if there is an option for a very short term warranty i.e. one year, it may be a consideration. Also, find out where the nearest authorized Newmar service dept. is located in the event you need anything checked or serviced. Is it a good buy? That depends on the price and what your budget is!! Since we were looking at used units circa 2012, we had narrowed our preferred manufacturers to Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago/Itasca based upon what we had seen in our search as well as reputation for quality vs. price.

Good luck and enjoy!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I have a 2018 Bay Star 3406 that we are very happy with. As others have said, make sure you or a professional perform a thorough inspection of the coach. We have only had a few issues, all addressed under warranty at the factory (by choice). For the features that we got, include custom ordering it with specials, I don't think the value can be beat. Newmar has been great to work with as well. My only concern with a 35' gas coach is the net carrying capacity. Ours was ordered special with a 24K lb chassis to up that value. A standard build on a 22K lb chassis my limit that somewhat, to include what you can select for a towed.
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #6

I have a smaller one 3124, I think for the money it’s a great coach, I had some issues nothing major all fixed under warranty. The Baystar has been redisigned for 2018.

Zzotte
Old 10-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by We_B_Tripn View Post
I have a 2018 Bay Star 3406 that we are very happy with. As others have said, make sure you or a professional perform a thorough inspection of the coach. We have only had a few issues, all addressed under warranty at the factory (by choice). For the features that we got, include custom ordering it with specials, I don't think the value can be beat. Newmar has been great to work with as well. My only concern with a 35' gas coach is the net carrying capacity. Ours was ordered special with a 24K lb chassis to up that value. A standard build on a 22K lb chassis my limit that somewhat, to include what you can select for a towed.
Agree with Bill, we went with larger chassis as well. We have had a few issues with our 2018 but still under warranty. I'm assuming everyone gets their slide adjustments done in shop not yourself? We have one slide I noticed on last trip that's off at the top. You can't go wrong with Newmar. Given you have vin number it maybe possible to contact Newmar directly to inquire if any mechanical concerns have been reported to them by previous owner. Assume they keep records. If not, have Newmar authorized repair shop check it out. Enjoy!!!
Old 10-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #8

Statistically if aftermarket warranties were a good deal for the buyer they would not be available. They make a profit for the ins. companies. If it only has a few miles on it that means it may have been lived in for an extended period of time. It also means the motor and driveline have not been operated foe extended periods of time. Both are minuses not pluses. Check for roof leaks and proceed cautiously.

Good luck.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar