Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2017, 05:36 AM   #1

Newmar Baystar 3113

I came across the newmar and I'm doing a lot of research especially on the 3113 since we really prefer to stay within the 31 foot range. Newmar owners, can you share your experiences? It will be a big deal for us considering we will have to travel a ways to purchase and service. We will be attending the Hershey show and hope o be able to spend some time in one.
ohau8622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 06:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohau8622 View Post
I came across the newmar and I'm doing a lot of research especially on the 3113 since we really prefer to stay within the 31 foot range. Newmar owners, can you share your experiences? It will be a big deal for us considering we will have to travel a ways to purchase and service. We will be attending the Hershey show and hope o be able to spend some time in one.
We love our 3401, just purchased in April. We went to a show in CA, first time in Newmar. We fell in love with the interior build quality in particular. We were also looking at one of the 31', not sure which model exactly. For us, the 3401 turns out to be the perfect layout. I think that's the most important thing, that you really study the layout and pick the one that works best for you. We were 2000+ miles from home and made a very quick decision to trade our Class C for the Baystar. We got lucky as it is just what we want, BUT, I do think, taking the time to do more research is always a better idea. Also, do some research into the dealer(s) you will be working with. Some are way better than others.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:48 AM   #3

Like you, we also wanted a smaller coach. The 3113 gives us this, a decent cccw, and the king bed we wanted. The floor plan works for us, we are even still fully functional with the slides in (you can get to everything). It has the ability (with the proper options) to sleep 5 or more.

3113 is similar in floor plan to the 3124. Newmar finish is generally pretty good compared to others. We have had our initial issues to deal with (as do most coaches unless you are a lucky one). Dealers can really disappoint you depending how they get things handled for you (good to know how to turn a wrench yourself). I have done a lot of suspension work to get it to handle more solidly (F53 chassis may need some work no matter what MH).

We really like our 3113.

Terry
Old 07-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #4

"The 3113 gives us this, a decent cccw, and the king bed we wanted"...what is the actual cccw and what options do you have?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 3113 and like the floorplan. If you do a search for 3113 in the Newmar forum you will find quite a few posts to review. Try to spent time is as many floor plans as possible.

There was a lack of driver legroom with the slides in that may have been improved for the 2018 models, but there is a mod that can be done to help this. I also deleted the wall art and had a backer installed and made a coat rack. Your search should find my post on this with photos.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #6

We're about to order a 2018 3113. We really like the king bed, the dining table (as opposed to a booth) and the carrying capacity.

As far as the CCC, the specs claim 4166, before options. I've seen owners say the popular options (residential fridge, 5500 kw generator with dual AC units, etc.) weigh between 800-1000 lbs. Subtract a full tank of water and occupants and You're left with 2000-2400 lbs of cargo capacity. Someone might come along with actual weights.

The credenza behind the dining table has a lot of storage and really makes up for the coach being so small, though we don't have one and haven't tried to fill up that space.

One downside, and really a downside of all coaches on 22,000 lb chassis is the GCWR of only 26,000 lbs. That means you can only tow 4000 lbs...sort of. The hitch can handle 5000 and you can "borrow" from the GVWR to make up for the difference. For example, you load up your coach and carry half a tank of water to save a few pounds. You've weighed the coach and it weighs 21,200 lbs. 26,000 - 21,200 = 4800 lbs. You can tow 4800 lbs and still be within the GCWR.

We've spent time in a Bay Star Sport 3013 (same floor plan but queen bed) and we liked it a lot. Good viewing angle on the angled TV, decent counter space with one of the sink covers on (more if you get a wood stove cover), lots of room in the living area (some call it a parlor) especially with the table not extended. The shower isn't huge but I'm a big guy and plenty of headroom and room to bend, turn around, etc. I've seen a picture of the bedroom closet spaces and it looks like Newmar added shelving, which is nice since we wanted to do that anyway (we're not "hanging" clothes type of people ).

We think the 3113 is a nice coach. We like others but the floorplan plus the generous cargo capacity make it a winner. We'll chase with our Jeep (rather than tow) since we'll be full time and don't plan to travel all that often or too many miles each time we move. But we could probably put the Jeep on a diet, carry less water and probably meet in the middle if we decide to start towing.

Good luck and post pictures if you get it
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #7

This is great information. We just purchased a 2015 Jeep Wrangler sport and the plan is to tow it. As a woman, I'm not a fan of the sewer hookup so we may opt to have a composting toilet installed. I failed to mention that this will be our first ever coach. Our plans are to use it for winter getaways although we still have a few years before we retire. Also, for 80% of the time it will be just 2 of us and a small dog. What attracted me to this coach is the table and no booth. We were also considering the Winnebago vista lx which has a similar floor plan.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmar Baystar 3113

I don't think anyone is a fan of the sewer hookup, but disposal is a fact of life. Search for some threads on composting toilets (there appears to be a down side to them as well) before changing the coach.

We are towing a Ford Fusion Sport. The real weight (CAT scale) is 4,280 lbs with almost full fuel including the baseplate and a portion of the tow bar. I do notice the car is back there, but it tows and is within spec. I added a rear track bar which made a huge improvement, especially when towing. The coach weight was around 19,000 lbs. and my coach is pretty well optioned.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #9

I looked into adding the safe-t-bar, a lot of people wrote about it and it's great performance. I'm still researching compost but I also lurched the rhino so I'll see which one I prefer.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
This is great information. We just purchased a 2015 Jeep Wrangler sport and the plan is to tow it. As a woman, I'm not a fan of the sewer hookup so we may opt to have a composting toilet installed. I failed to mention that this will be our first ever coach. Our plans are to use it for winter getaways although we still have a few years before we retire. Also, for 80% of the time it will be just 2 of us and a small dog. What attracted me to this coach is the table and no booth. We were also considering the Winnebago vista lx which has a similar floor plan.
Watch that Winnie LX! I assume it's the 30T since the floor plan is similar. First, it's on an 18,000 lb chassis. It is lighter than the 3113 but not that much lighter. You'll give up a lot of carrying capacity. Second issue is the shower. 30x25 inches is tiny. It's also on 19 inch tires. The Bay Star is on 22.5 inch tires. Big difference in ride and weight capacity. I could go on with things like full body paint being an option, etc. We like the floor plan but it's just not a Bay Star (though the 35 footers in the LX line solve a lot of those problems but unfortunately the floor plans stink IMHO).

And compositing toilets are interesting. But you still have to remove the compost bin, dump it into a bag and dispose of it. Similar yuck factor.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:50 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wasn't worried when we ordered our 2002 DSDP 4090 since the spec's showed 5,300#'s of NCC. We didn't order the real tile floor, nor the washer dryer, plus had a couple interior walls and doors deleted.
At delivery I found that the CCC was only 663#'s and ALL of that was on the rear axle, the front was overweight by 50#'s if I had a full fuel and propane tank BEFORE we ever loaded anything or got ourselves aboard.
Newmar did eventually have Spartan put a new 14,600# front axle under the unit to replace the OEM 12,000# one, then issued us a modified weight certificate. Later I changed wheels and tires to take full advantage of the higher ratings.
So, be very careful when using the advertised NCC weights!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newweightsticker.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	168972  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #12

Ok I'm confused. We will be towing a Jeep and pre ferry to stay with 31ft. I'll have to make modifications to the coach to be able to tow?
Old 07-16-2017, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Ok I'm confused. We will be towing a Jeep and pre ferry to stay with 31ft. I'll have to make modifications to the coach to be able to tow?
No, probably not as long as that Jeep is a 2-door. The weight is probably around 4200 lbs. You'll have 4000 lbs to play with over an above your 22,000 lb gross vehicle weight rating. You'll only need to "borrow" 200 lbs from your cargo capacity. That should be around 3000 lbs after options, gas, propane, etc. You'll have to account for water weight and people weight within that 3000 lbs, however.

Still, 2000-2500 lbs of cargo is a lot (maybe not by diesel pusher standards but it is by gas coach standards). Mr_D is just illustrating the importance of knowing what your coach actually weighs. Knightstorm knows. He's got a 3113 and knows what it weighs.

Now, you will need to equip the Jeep with a tow bar and a braking system to safely tow but you probably don't need to modify a 3113. Other Bay Stars will weigh more and have less cargo capacity but the 5000 lbs hitch rating and the 4000 lbs above GVWR won't change.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #14

Sedaliaterry....what exactly does your sticker say is your occ and what options did you get?
Thanks

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar