RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #1

newmar black water tank

I have had a problem with draining our black water tank. It seem that there is something like a 1/4 to 3/8 inch cement liner in the tank that is breaking loose and stopping the the tank from draining. Has any body heard of this problem?

rolboo

rolboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #2

Weird problem, my guess would be someone has put something in the tank. To try and stop a leak mayby? You have posted this in the Thor Industries section, you may get more responses if you put it in the Newmar section. Good luck.

srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I'm thinking 'built up crud'.. How long have you owned the coach? You might have someone inside with a hose, and someone outside with a rubber mallet banging (gently) on the tank...

I've got a flexible wand for my pressure washer (cleans gutters) to spray into the tank via the toilet.. Flakes of what looked like Frosted Flakes came out.. ALOT of it...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum! I have moved your thread from the Thor forum to the Newmar forum where you should get more views.

I'd bet on built up crud too. If you don't use your coach full time consider dumping the tank as best you can before storing it then fill it with clean water an an enzyme cleaner like Roebic® Septic Tank And Cesspool Cleaner (ROEBIC K-57-4 ) - 4 Pack - Bacterial Drain Cleaners - Ace Hardware

It'll have to sit for a while to be effective but when you take it back out dump again and then use one of the wands that attach to a hose and you stick down the toilet like Midniteoyl mentioned. It might take a few cycles but I'll bet it helps.

Good luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both our DSDP's have had tank clean out sprayers built in. As was said earlier: I'd put in some enzyme cleaner and let it sit for a few weeks and maybe drive it over some rough roads each week to shake it up, then dump it.
Some people even dump ice cubes down the toilet and drive for a while.
I've been RV'ing since 1957 (before most rigs had holding tanks). In all those years and multiple rigs I've never had a buildup. I do wait till the tank is ¾ full before dumping or add water to fill to that level and I ALWAYS use chemicals. This weekend just the wife and I were out, tanks are only ¼ full and we're headed out again on the 21st so I didn't bother dumping them at all.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum rolboo and irv2.
All the above posts are correct you should also leave your black tank valve closed until tank indicator says its time to dump.
There are baffles in tank that of same material as tank that should not break down.
You need to post in profile or signature your coach information it will help in answering your questions.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad you joined us but sorry to hear of your problem. Let's see if we can help as well. Plenty of good suggestions so far. Go to youtube.com and when the site comes up type in rv geeks in the search box at the top of the page. When the next page comes up just go down until you find How To: Dump & Clean an RV Black Tank. It's about a 14 minute clip but quite informative. The same fella has quite a few tips on rv's you may just want to save the entire thing to your favorites.
Hope this may help a bit. Be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:29 AM   #8

This suggestion might be insane, but I would go to a "do it yourself" car wash - snake the wand through the bathroom window and into the toilet's the open valve - turn that sucker on and blow whatever is in the tank into the next county!!!
dougburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2005 KSCA 3778 and have trouble dumping unless I lift the front. When the coach is level it doesn't dump well. We had had 4 Newmar moho's and this is the only one we have had trouble with.

Tags
newmar, tank, water