Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #1

Newmar Chassis Choice

I may be way out of touch on this, but has Newmar switched completely from Spartan to Freightliner?

And, if so, why? We just bought a 2010 Allstar with a Spartan chassis, so I am a little concerned about why they may have dropped Spartan.

Thanks

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Freightliner is on the low end Newmar's the Spartan K2 & K3 will be under the King Aire, ESSEX.
Word was Spartan didn't want to produce the smaller chassis.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #3

I thought the All Star was discontinued early in the 2009 model year???
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Freightliner is on the low end Newmar's the Spartan K2 & K3 will be under the King Aire, ESSEX and MA.
Word was Spartan didn't want to produce the smaller chassis.
Mountain Aire is also Freightliner. Essex is K2 Spartan and King Aire is K3. It has to do with the availablility of 2010 emissions compliant engines mostly. I did not like Newmar's move to take the Mountain Aire away from the K2.
Thanks, Daryl
Old 08-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #5

I agree, I too do not think Newmar made a wise discission replacing those models with the cheaper FL. Be happy you have a Spartan.

Peter
Old 08-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
I agree, I too do not think Newmar made a wise discission replacing those models with the cheaper FL. Be happy you have a Spartan.

Peter
Ditto.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcaldal11 View Post
Mountain Aire is also Freightliner. Essex is K2 Spartan and King Aire is K3. It has to do with the availability of 2010 emissions compliant engines mostly. I did not like Newmar's move to take the Mountain Aire away from the K2.
Thanks, Daryl
Your right Daryl, I should have look at new links its there in black and white.
Not much said about the FL chassis in this video either show all the glitz get someone sold worry about chassis service later.
Wish we were privied to discussions about what FL promise for service, long way to go to match Spartan.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69RoadRunner View Post
I thought the All Star was discontinued early in the 2009 model year???
The Allstar was discontinued in 2009, but we apparently got the last available chassis from Spartan in late August and ours was built in October, 2009.

It is actually a long story, but the Allstar 4188, which you probably cannot find on the Newmar website, is their handicap accessible version of which they only made 3 coaches. Ours was number 3.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #9

AllStar cannot be made with the Freightliner chassis due to the Mid Engine. Hopefully the market will pickup and Spartan will bring back the ME.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
My understanding is that the switch was made because of cost. FL had carloads of pre 2010 Cummins engines because of the lack of truck sales. Spartan did not. The cost difference in pre 2010 and 2010 engine is upwards of $15,000.00. FL needed the business and they have gone after it with Newmar and other manufactures. I think they will be back to Spartan in a few years. FL has made alot of promises about service, only time will tell.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gesmone View Post
My understanding is that the switch was made because of cost. FL had carloads of pre 2010 Cummins engines because of the lack of truck sales. Spartan did not. The cost difference in pre 2010 and 2010 engine is upwards of $15,000.00. FL needed the business and they have gone after it with Newmar and other manufactures. I think they will be back to Spartan in a few years. FL has made alot of promises about service, only time will tell.
Correct!

It's usually always about cost.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #12

And weight. That idiotic 2010 emission requirement adds something like 1000 pounds to a motorhome.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #13

Spoke with Matt Miller directly about the switch to FL at the Hershey RV show in Sept 2010. The original switch from FL to Spartan was made secondary to lack of support from FL. About the time of that switch FL hired a new CEO and the now the FL is "more supportive" so Newmar is giving them another chance. Also more service faclities for FL than Spartan was reason #2 he gave. I suspect price was an issue, but he did not mention anything about cost.

The reason an 40 footer are now on a tri-axle is secondary to weight on the rear axle due to new emission equipment which adds about 1000 pounds. They could have mad the rear axle 23,000 pounds, but if coach was max out in CCC and the actual weight on the single rear axle was 23,000 pounds, Mr Miller stated that you would be running illegal. Therefore the switch to a tri-axle to maintain CCC and to run legal on the highway.
Doc C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc C View Post
Spoke with Matt Miller directly about the switch to FL at the Hershey RV show in Sept 2010. The original switch from FL to Spartan was made secondary to lack of support from FL. About the time of that switch FL hired a new CEO and the now the FL is "more supportive" so Newmar is giving them another chance. Also more service faclities for FL than Spartan was reason #2 he gave. I suspect price was an issue, but he did not mention anything about cost.

The reason an 40 footer are now on a tri-axle is secondary to weight on the rear axle due to new emission equipment which adds about 1000 pounds. They could have mad the rear axle 23,000 pounds, but if coach was max out in CCC and the actual weight on the single rear axle was 23,000 pounds, Mr Miller stated that you would be running illegal. Therefore the switch to a tri-axle to maintain CCC and to run legal on the highway.
FL has more dealers? Matt maybe should have actually checked out the 88 Oasis so called dealers. Many do not want to work on motor homes and cop an attitude. This has not changed.

Peter