RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
As a follow up to my post "Newmar Customer Satisfaction - TBD" I would like to detail my experience at Newmar.

First and foremost, I made the right decision. The reputation that Newmar has earned was certainly reinforced during my experience. I am excited about this coach. (BTW, I am at Spartan right now and so far have been blown away by how they are addressing the issues. Will detail that in another post.)

Member of this forum kept telling me, wait until you get to the factory. You will be happy. They were all right.

Second, virtually all of the initial frustration with my coach was dealer driven. Newmar delivered big time.

Third, the service team went above and beyond my already heightened expecations.

Some details:
Customer focus from top to bottom: Every person I met "got it". Reception, parts, sales, factory tours, line workers, engineering, techs, maintenance, and believe it or not, spouses of employees. Newmar's culture of customer service is quite evident. I know there are inexcusable lapses in customer service. However, I might attribute that to growing pains vs. lack of customer focus.

Great Customer Interface: Group leader that went over the coach with me, Devon, was very good. Initially, he seemed unassuming and I wondered if he heard everything I said or understood it. Turns out he remembered every last detail and found more things as we went along. Also, what he didn't have the answer to, he went and found it out.

Professional: Every morning they showed up exactly the time they said they would. I mean to the minute. There were cover sheets everywhere. Every item was followed up on.

Thorough: Example, had a problem w/my key fobs. Tested every function, found a problem w/one key and replaced the whole controller box to make sure there weren't future problems.

Full explanation: every repair I had came back with a full explanation of what they found and what they did, in writing. During their diagnostics they found a few things I didn't and fixed them. I know this sounds like common sense but, not sure it is the norm w/many manufacturers.

Above & Beyond: I wanted the autolock turned off when the ignition key was turned to the ACC positon. They could have just cut the wire and I would have been happy. They actually installed a switch below the dash cover so I can use it if I wanted. No Charge.

A & B II: I said the component area was getting too hot. They installed a fan. Oh yeah, they installed a thermostat too so it wasn't always running. No Charge. BTW they installed an HDMI cable to the front TV. I brought the cable and asked them how I could do it myself.

A & B III: The step light was wired to work w/the step light switch in the coach. Devon explained that was to spec. I explained that in reality, most coach owners never have that switch on b/c it is enabled automatically when the engine is running. He said he would look into it. They rewired it into the patio light switch, out of spec. No Charge.

There is more but, I won't detail any more.

I will buy Newmar again and continue to recommend them. BTW, my Monaco owning father in law will be buying Newmar, probably a MADP w/in the next year. My experience and excitement pushed him over the edge.

JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
As a follow up to my post "Newmar Customer Satisfaction - TBD" I would like to detail my experience at Newmar.

First and foremost, I made the right decision. The reputation that Newmar has earned was certainly reinforced during my experience. I am excited about this coach. (BTW, I am at Spartan right now and so far have been blown away by how they are addressing the issues. Will detail that in another post.)

Member of this forum kept telling me, wait until you get to the factory. You will be happy. They were all right.

Second, virtually all of the initial frustration with my coach was dealer driven. Newmar delivered big time.

Third, the service team went above and beyond my already heightened expecations.

Some details:
Customer focus from top to bottom: Every person I met "got it". Reception, parts, sales, factory tours, line workers, engineering, techs, maintenance, and believe it or not, spouses of employees. Newmar's culture of customer service is quite evident. I know there are inexcusable lapses in customer service. However, I might attribute that to growing pains vs. lack of customer focus.

Great Customer Interface: Group leader that went over the coach with me, Devon, was very good. Initially, he seemed unassuming and I wondered if he heard everything I said or understood it. Turns out he remembered every last detail and found more things as we went along. Also, what he didn't have the answer to, he went and found it out.

Professional: Every morning they showed up exactly the time they said they would. I mean to the minute. There were cover sheets everywhere. Every item was followed up on.

Thorough: Example, had a problem w/my key fobs. Tested every function, found a problem w/one key and replaced the whole controller box to make sure there weren't future problems.

Full explanation: every repair I had came back with a full explanation of what they found and what they did, in writing. During their diagnostics they found a few things I didn't and fixed them. I know this sounds like common sense but, not sure it is the norm w/many manufacturers.

Above & Beyond: I wanted the autolock turned off when the ignition key was turned to the ACC positon. They could have just cut the wire and I would have been happy. They actually installed a switch below the dash cover so I can use it if I wanted. No Charge.

A & B II: I said the component area was getting too hot. They installed a fan. Oh yeah, they installed a thermostat too so it wasn't always running. No Charge. BTW they installed an HDMI cable to the front TV. I brought the cable and asked them how I could do it myself.

A & B III: The step light was wired to work w/the step light switch in the coach. Devon explained that was to spec. I explained that in reality, most coach owners never have that switch on b/c it is enabled automatically when the engine is running. He said he would look into it. They rewired it into the patio light switch, out of spec. No Charge.

There is more but, I won't detail any more.

I will buy Newmar again and continue to recommend them. BTW, my Monaco owning father in law will be buying Newmar, probably a MADP w/in the next year. My experience and excitement pushed him over the edge.

Old 02-19-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My experience and excitement pushed him over the edge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just make sure it isn't you that gets pushed over the edge by your wife if you buy one too!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now you can realize what I and others have been telling you all along your in good hands when you go to the people who know.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #5

Glad to hear you had such a positive experience at Newmar. This is certainly refreshing compared to the usual negative information posted on forums.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:41 AM   #6

Scott, that's great news. I was sure you would be pleasantly pleased with the service level Newmar delivers. Sounds like you were very impressed. I always felt their service was above and beyond. If, or when you buy a high line it is the same service except on steroids.

Peter
Old 02-20-2007, 02:54 AM   #7

Hi Scott! Glad to hear all your problems were solved. Was Mike any help to you. Paul
Old 02-20-2007, 03:20 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
recieved the same type of service in Oct. Everyone went out of thier way to keep you informed.
Kent Baker was our Spartan Rep who had our chassic problem fixed .
Factory found other work that could not be fit into schedule [No extra time after international ].They did give us one extra day.
Will have that work [paint slide corners] along with some other small items fixed, plus some Pay work upgrades last week in March

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #9

Devon was my service supervisor as well. He was great to work with and will request him next time. He took care of everything...left the MH with him for a week.

Regarding the key phob problem, mine stopped working a few days ago. Do you know where the controller is located?

I will keep buying Newmar..factory service is great. I have come to the conclusion that factory service is a key decision point when considering manufacturers. Since we live in Ohio, that will rule out Country Coach and Monaco. Newmar is about 4 hours away.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:11 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Found out that one of the three key fobs does not work. I believe it to be the one I took with me while they worked on the coach.

I will call today and ask Devon about it. I should be able to look at the manual too to see how to get another fob activated.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:02 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Three key fobs?
Man....I just got two!!
Must be that pesky "brand separation" again!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:36 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
3 key fobs must be a feature of the 43' DSDP. 40' models only get 2.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:40 AM   #13

javajelly, I'm glad you were satisify with the service you received at the Newmar factory, I always tell owners of Newmar products to go to the factory if possibly instead of their dealer, you will always be satisified and never have to come back for a part they don't have or a problem the factory can't fix. Ed.S
Old 02-21-2007, 03:47 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Three key fobs?
Man....I just got two!!
Must be that pesky "brand separation" again!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep! Must be-cause I didn't get any.