Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Newmar Customer service, not a rant just suggestions

Not indended to be a rant. Trying to provide Newmar with constructive criticism.

Subjects; lack of information provided for prewiring at time of purchase, and customer service providing wrong information.

On this forum there have been numerous discussions concerning prewiring for satellite, electric brake controllers and solar prep. These discussions stem from people not having any real information/details on these systems. Many of us have called Newmar CS and have been provided incomplete or wrong information. A solution would be to provide prewire discripsions and diagrams in the motorhome information package.

Customer service has provided wrong information to me and others on numerous occasions. I understand that CS has a tuff job and they are only as good as the imformation that they have available to them. In many cases the information they provide are drawings form many model years past. As I mentioned earlier if the proper information came with the motorhome I for one would not of had to call as many times. All of this being said, what Myself and others have run into is on more then one occasions a CS rep provided wrong information, some that could have lead to major mistakes. I.e. This week while installing a satellite dish on my Canyon Star I asked what the spacing for the roof studs were? The answer was 17 inches on center. I thought that I had read that walls and roof were 16 inches on center but wanted to confirm as the satellite installation calls for hitting studs. I questioned 17 inches so he called the service department who told him it was 16 inches on center. If I would have just run with his answer I would have ended up with extra holes on the roof. I have many more examples of wrong imformation but really I'm not here to bitch and will try and remain constructive. What I would advise is that the CS reps only give out imformation that they are sure of, and that it's ok to say I don't know, let me ask someone that knows and get back to you. Better fact cheat sheets may also be a good tool for them to use. Just my 2 cents. Stuart W
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #2

You have some good points in your non-rant. I believe that what you have experienced is prevalent in today's society. We have seen this in buying cars especially when asking about flat towing. We have a friend that was told that a 2015 CR-V was flat towable, he ordered and was happy with the deal until we told him that it was not. Needless they lost the sale. I found that the techs at Tiffin were no different either. The service people did not know what the manufacturing people did and what was worse, the manufacturing people never heard what the service people were having to fix. A little bit of cross communication would solve many of the issue we as owners have to deal with after delivery.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
EWlee you are correct, proper communication is really the point.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #4

When I was a development engineer we had a production engineer assigned to our team. It was his job to review all designs for manufacturability and maintainability. I think Newmar concentrate too much on the "glitz" that the design team come up with and not so much on the serviceability side. Unfortunately, we all know that that is what sells new motorhomes at the dealers.
But the good news is that on my last issue with CS I was referred to the service department and was given info on how to fix my Oasis. I was told this was an issue with engineering but that they finally listened to service and fixed it for 2017. So just buy a new coach every 2 years and your problems will go away. (To be replaced by new ones of course.)
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
My experience with Newmar CS has been excellent. They are quick to respond and if they don't have the right answers they refer me to the people that do. I've never had an email go longer than a day. Does the CS rep have all of the engineering answers - no, but he has a Rolodex that does. My current issue is with my trailer brake light wiring. While he didn't know the answer, he has been in contact with Ford and emailed me several times. Problem with an electric arm extension on the coach? - Immediate conference call with senior management at Flex Steel. Immediately sent me the drawings. Problem solved. When I purchased my coach in November, my salesman told me I had an inverter that powered outlets and entertainment system. After purchase, it did not. Newmar CS rep intervened with the dealership and I got an excellent second inverter installed at no cost. He has been quick to provide me with wiring diagrams and alignment procedures for slides, etc, etc. These are complex machines. Seventy - five percent of the time - he has the right answer. One hundred percent of the time, he rapidly responds to my calls and we have a way ahead. So I gotta tell ya, my experience is that I have received top notch CS for my CS from Newmar.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #6

X 2 I agree with Russ!!
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
X 2 nothing but wonderful things to say about Newmar CS, saved me with satellite antenna malfunction on a Sunday morning when trying to leave the resort we were at. In Fl had Heat pump thermostat fail (while we were out) called and immediately got help, had to wait till morning to get new thermostat but troubleshooting was immediate.
Glad I got a Newmar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
There is one Canyon Star rep. You may get different reps during the workday, but he carries the phone. He literally answers 24/7 Last Christmas, he was answering calls on Christmas eve and day (not from me). I think it is a good system.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Agreed Bruce has been great! He is the "after hours" CS Rep. My experience During the week days if I did not get him someone else wants to help and have told me of the after hour status . I had a very ruff start with my 3710 and Bruce was always there to help. I meant what I said, not a rant, if information was supplied at time of purchase a lot of issues could be avoided. I love our Canyon Star. Just have had my share of failures and misinformation.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
I agree. Bruce is a top notch guy with a wealth of experience. He also keeps tabs on the forum.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Wasn't really into naming people, but yes the one that saved me both times was Bruce who apparently must be attached to his phone. He also has answered every question (no matter how strange) that I have asked via email.
Can't speak for all of the Newmar reps but those of us with Canyon Stars are truly lucky to have such a great rep assigned to our coaches.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Wasn't really into naming people, but yes the one that saved me both times was Bruce who apparently must be attached to his phone. He also has answered every question (no matter how strange) that I have asked via email.

Can't speak for all of the Newmar reps but those of us with Canyon Stars are truly lucky to have such a great rep assigned to our coaches.

Agreed !
Old 03-22-2017, 04:48 AM   #13

I have about a 50/50 success rate with Newmar CS. they answer my emails and phone messages about 50% of the time, and have an answer about 50% of the time, just sayin.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
It looks like your are dealing with the London Aire guy. Our experience is with the Canyon Star Rep. I wouldn't be happy if I was getting the kind of response you are posting. Good luck!

Tags
newmar, service