Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I agree with you it is not a valve problem, I printed all the info and went to MH unhooked valve hoses and everything is correct. I thought the valve was causing my Ac to spring leaks but that is not the problem. I have had four leaks and not the coil had a large hole that just showed up, with that fixed not I think I have a door problem, when the air comes out of coil it is really cold but when ot comes from the vents inside it is just cool. I am not sure what to do about this problem, I will more than likely spring another Freon leak before I can fix the stuck door.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2017, 05:01 PM   #44

Not even sure hoe I found my way to this topic, being that it is a few years old.

I did find it interesting, since the AC in my 2005 DS is not very cool.

Took it to a shop and they said it was just low on refridgerant so they topped it up. Still not very cold.

After reading this post I am curious as to whether a 2005 DS would use the same components?

I may find myself at my storage yard tomorrow having a look at things.

Doug
Dougjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to forum , Doug.
The RedBarons problem has been around since the early 2000's.
Most of us did the ball vale fix because some member had new control valves installed and had the same problem all over again.
The Hoot members are very versed on these Newmars and they delve into problems and find out the reason why.
All the EVAN's valves were installed hit or miss until Evans made a change on installation procedures with the info provided by the Red and corrections were made.
Its not to say someone may have the same problem on a new coach but the old thread is in the
QT's # 3 and any NEWMAR search will bring it up.
The irv2 search engine is in the TSB Sticky top of forum will all the info for coach's from 1999 to present.
All the links below in my signature will have more links to info for your Newmar.
One thing also if you have a DP the hoses for the AC to front run through the chassis rail possibly and if not run correctly may chafe and wear through the hose causing a leak.
Some people have changed themselves but working in pit is easier if ever needs to be done, I will not explain how some have done the job.
Any MH I owned I alway think small problem instead of what if's.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #46

Thanks for Reply 007

There is so much info on this forum, it is a great resource as a used coach owner.

Found the old thread interesting as my dash air does not blow cold.

Found the valve, it is in the correct position, inlet outlet wise.

Not sure which hose is the supply and which is return as both hoses are the same temerature, cold. Engine temp is at 200 deg

going to turn on the heater and see which gets hot first, I would assume that the supply would get hot first. Although I don't think this is my issue as AC is warm with both hoses cold.

I get a hissing noise from under the passenger seat area when the vent selector on dash is in certain positions. Goes away in vent only and floor selections but is present in all others except off. Any suggestions or should I start a thread?

Thanks again to you and others that supply such great info to this forum

Doug
Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #47

With AC on the heater hoses shouldn't be hot or your AC temp is going to be 10 or more degrees hotter. Put a gate valve on heater hose on our 04 Essex that I close during the summer to get the coldest AC we can. Just checked yesterday and when 95 out had AC coming out at 39 degrees.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #48

With AC on, both heater hoses cold, so that is good

Temp coming out of Dash 68 deg, outside temp 86 deg

Took it to mech to check AC, he said all was good, just low on refrigerant, so he topped it up and said it was good. Still not in my opinion

When I saw this thread it gave me hope that there was something else wrong, but I don't think that is it
Old 07-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #49

We have had to replace the expansion valve 3 times because it got plugged up. I now keep the valve with me along with some cans of R-134. Do need to break AC system open to replace valve but this seems to happen with Evans AC system. Might be the problem with your unit.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:38 PM   #50

Forgot to remind you that the heater hoses will only be hot after engine has warmed up. So if checking heater hoses engine would need to be warmed up. But if check when engine is cold then AC should be cold since heater hoses aren't getting hot coolant from engine.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #51

I had a problem with my 2015 LADP from the start it was a bad compressor,I'm sure that is not your problem but what I seen was the info about how much Freon it took was not correct. We called Evans and was told that it took much more then the info on the unit. If your mech says he filled it up does he know how much to top it off. I was told that to do it correctly was not to top it off but to do a complete evac and then fill it
Steve Mosher
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #52

Engine temp was 200 deg when I felt hoses this morning. I had just brought it from storage, about a 30 min hwy run, so it warmed up.

Tested the temperature of each hose with heater on and the control valve mentioned in this thread seems to be in the supply as that is the hotter line.

When on AC the inlet to the evans unit is 62 deg, this temerature taken using a Fluke metet with a temperature probe placed on the copper tube at the inlet.

Line coming out of compressor is very hot to the touch so I believe that means its working.

Coach is going into mechanic this week for him to check into a service engine light we got last weekend (94 1) according to the Silverleaf VMSPC, which means low fuel pressure, if my resources for codes is correct.

I will inquire about the temps on the AC again.

Is there a mixing valve on these coaches?

I had one go bad on an astro van years ago and all we could get was outside air.

When I put control to max air I see the door that closes on the bottom of the Evans unit, just curious if there was another mixing valve.

I'll keep head scratching

Thanks
Old 09-24-2017, 02:08 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
I am starting a new thread based on a recent problem I have had, and a discovery that this affects at least one other coach, and my guess is there are more.

After picking up my coach at the factory in March, I drove 2,000 miles in cold weather. I could never get the heater to 'calm' down, and often opened a window. This was inspite of have max air set to cold. When I got to the warm Texas weather, I realized this was a big problem. I took the coach to my dealer complaining that I couldn't turn off the heater, and they replaced the evans valve at that time. They also discovered that I had 0 lbs in my AC, and sent me to Freightliner. FL charged the AC to 6lbs, which I found out was too much.

Newmar sent me to another Evans certified dealer to have the unit looked at, and they determined that I needed 4.5lbs of R-134a. The dealer claimed that the ac was blowing 40F air, and was fixed.

When I drove it home, the air started getting warm again. Finally I got a thermometer to test it, and discovered that as my water temp rose, so did the ac. Back to the valve.

There has been discussion on bad valves that Evans shipped around 2002-2004 (not sure on exact years), and 007 has information on that in this link.

The problem that I am experiencing is different, and I have found at least 1 other coach that has the problem.

Attachment 40111

This is the evans valve that turns off the hot water supply from the engine. It is a one-way valve, meaning if it is installed reverse, it will fail. The plug end of the valve, on the left side, is the inlet (supply) side. It is oriented properly, but on mine it is installed on the RETURN line, and not the supply line.

This means that I have two problems. #1, hot water stays in the Evans unit, causing my AC to produce warm air all the time, and second, the valve is now receiving pressure on the wrong side, which will destroy the valve.

The new valve is now starting to fail again. Once it fails, it will allow the hot water to continuously circulate, and I am back to the original problem.

This was an installation error at the factory. The fix is to relocate the valve to the supply hose (shown above the valve), and replace the hose that is now too short. Since I am under warranty and this is clearly a factory error, that is what I am going to insist is done.

If I was not under warranty, as is the situation with the other coach I have seen this on, then the fix would be exactly what 007 did in the above post, but first relocating the evans unit to the correct supply line.

I am also attaching the evans troubleshooting guide Attachment 40112, which discusses all the troubleshooting procedures.

I have sent all of this information to Newmar, because 3 attempts with dealers to fix the Dash Air have failed, and this forum was the only way I was able to finally figure out the issue. This included my most recent trip to a Evans Certified Service Center.

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future. If you have a 2013 coach, you should check this out while still under warranty. Your engine has to be at running temp in order to do a proper diagnosis.

Thanks!
dh5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This is a old thread, I just want to add that the EVAN control can be defective and not stop the hot water from engine going into the heater core of EVAN's unit and as the RedBarron found out his as many other Newmar coach's could be installed in reverse and not stopping hot water from EVAN's unit.
When control is installed in reverse flow the water flow will cause the control valve to become defective for its purpose of use.
The new valves are now identified with a red tape around valve outlet as discribed in the first thread posts of OP's thread. .
For many of us instead of going through all this happenings it was easier to just install the ball valve and completely stop the hot water flow through the Evans unit, its for your choosing also this problem can be on coach's as far back as year 2000 to preasent, all models with the Evans unit and infact other MFG's also not just Newmar who have EVANS AC/HEATER Systems.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:08 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";1593877]As you said its the location and direction of flow through the Evans control. :thumb:
The [B]water has to flow through it.

This is a caution put out by Evan's [URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/Install the new valve onto t he coolant lines and mounting bracket (if applicable). The original hardware may be reused. If your valve is free floating on the coolant lines, secure the valve assembly with wire ties afte r plumbing the valve. Connect the coolant lines to the valve ports and tighten the clamps securely. Be sure the coolant supply line is connected to the inlet (red tap) side of the valve. If reversed the valve will leak and eventually be damaged.
for installation of control valve.[/URL]
[/B]
"007", can you repost the PDF? I get a forbidden when I try to open it.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:53 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure which one your requesting, here is all related to the Evans and problem, plus ball valve.

EVAN's Unit and problem found --- ball valve

Tags
dash, dash air, newmar